Little Idea

Little Idea

Postby Ryuu » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

Let me explain the concept and the idea behind this first..

I recently had a very strange case of a thermostat being faulty.. (Replaced now) but during that time.. I was constantly paranoid about my temperatures in my snake room..

Seeing as I am a web developer.. and I enjoy fiddling with electronics and robotics I decided to build a rudimentary remote temperature monitor application.. This can be viewed via the Internet and has Potentially many more applications.. I could also wip up an android app for it as well..

For now it only Displays the Current Temperature and Humidity for a single Probe but it could potentially monitor all cages and Incubators Simultaneously.. I also think i could turn it into a thermostat.. that can be controlled remotely but that's still a bit of a pipe dream.. seeing as security and fail safes need to be put in place. Before I can Even Attempt it..

The Website needs some work but it will tell me exactly what temperature my Snake-Room is on.. in real time..

http://reptitrack.azurewebsites.net/monitor

I want to expand it a bit and add charts and so on for the History. But it already Emails me as soon as the temperature varies to much
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Little Idea

Postby iiviii » Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 am

Thats fantastic!!!
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 am

That is an excellent idea, especially with the email notifications.

What changes did you need to make to the hardware to allow it to viewed via the internet? Or did you build your own thermometer/hygrometer?
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby du Preez » Mon May 11, 2015 11:01 am

Very nice! I would love something like this.

You could even maybe go one step further, and put a Raspberry Pi camera module (No IR maybe?) into each of your cages that you can remotely access from your phone/computer so that you can see what your animals are doing. This would be a good back-up for the info that your temperature probes are sending you (i.e., you'd pick up on weird behaviour), especially if you are at work or away on holiday - but would also just be great for checking whether your animal has eaten without disturbing it (I have a shy eater, so am building something similar).
du Preez
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Mon May 11, 2015 11:55 am

@Westley Price

Its Custom Built. and Programmed. Its a Raspberry PI with a Sensor and a Web server that Receives the Data.

@du Preez
Yes Ideally I would Like to do that as well.. But that would mean 1 Pi Per Cage. (Quite Costly) Not to mention the Bandwidth it will take but definitely something to Look into.. Eventually I will make the Sensor Unit Independent of the pi and have it transmit Data wireless.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 18, 2015 10:05 am

If you still dont know what your snakes have available after this then i dont know. You have to be able to breed almost any species when you keep tabs on them.

Remotely changing the temps will be risky because one hacker who hates you and there goes your whole collection. That is the reality of remote access today. It would be great though however i doubt you would need it more than once or twice a year.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Tue May 19, 2015 5:36 pm

You can tie up the connection to only accept the MAC address of his mobile device and password protect any command sent to the setup, as well as report any command sent via email etc so that if in error it can be quickly rectified. The trick is now to multiplex more than one input/output into one Pi physically and digitally. How did you A/D the temperature signal? I like this, well done!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Ruan Stander » Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 am

Wow, incredible stuff. I would love this, keep us updated please.
The way to success has no shortcuts.
Ruan Stander
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Electrical accessories & techniques