Aspen Bedding

Aspen Bedding

Postby Pieter89 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:50 am

I realised that some online pet shops stopped to stock Aspen Snake Bedding. Most Pet Shops also doesn't regularly stock this in my experience.

Is there anywhere (preferably in the Western Cape, or anyone that delivers in the Western Cape) where I can buy Aspen Bedding in bulk - or relatively cheap.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Aspen Bedding

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Aspen bedding is imported and as a result is very expensive. I often wonder why nobody has done oak or willow or one of the other non toxic light woods in this form.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Pieter89 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 am

Bushviper wrote:Aspen bedding is imported and as a result is very expensive. I often wonder why nobody has done oak or willow or one of the other non toxic light woods in this form.

Good question - we should start a business... I tried kenaf, but it moulds easily and doesn't really keep odours at bay. Also, nothing except the (very expensive) Aspen comes in the "Shredded" form that works for the snakes burrowing in it (for instance Corn Snakes). Newspaper works all right, but just doesn't look that good.
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 pm

I am pretty sure that soft white woods such as Eucalyptus and others will be fine however they give off a smell. Willow and oak are edible so they are a lot safer. I think it just has to do with the process in which the wood is shredded. Poplar is another soft white wood that would work well. If you can use the hammer that they pound mielies with that might work in conjunction with a shredder.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Enclosure substrates & decor