Bird Nesting Box as Snake Hide

Bird Nesting Box as Snake Hide

Postby gekosin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Recently I have been looking for a way to make our snake a raised hide, he loves to climb and the current piece of wood we have doesn't really allow for this...

Would it be ok to use one of the small nesting boxes that people use for finches? They are generally made from that pressed chipboard and I would use planting sticks/ delsticks for him to climb up to get the the box entrance.

The great thing is they also usually have a sliding lid so we will be able to get to him easily.
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bird Nesting Box as Snake Hide

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 pm

I do the same. Put something something soft in the box like wood shavings or a cloth for the part they rough out for the nest. I cable tie mine to an branch or just put them in loose. An adult snake of 1.5 meter fits in there pretty well.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure substrates & decor