safe potting soil

safe potting soil

Postby rmack » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey
I am about to get a pair of day gecko and I am in the process of setting up their viv . I have a bag of potting soil from a company called Farmyard Organics and I was wondering if it would be safe to use in their substrate. On their website they claim that it uses composted pine bark and spent mushroom substrate. The latter is a concern as I am not sure what they use in such substrate. Is it safe or should I not risk it?

Thanks.
rmack
SA Reptiles Member

Re: safe potting soil

Postby insaniac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:18 am

I don't think that it will pose too much of a threat.

Just remember, that when using natural substrates, you have to change it often and not keep it too wet.

This ensures it does not "die" and go mouldy.

Even "spent" mushroom substrate might still hold a few surprises... they might look cool, but some mushroom spores could be harmful to your animals and yourself, so rather remove them if you spot them.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 am

This stuff is good as well.... but any organic potting soil should be fine as long as there is no added fertilizers been put in.

http://www.earth2earth.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=2

@ Insaniac - Why do you say you must changed regularly - I assume this is on the basis it is not being used as part of a bio-active substrate method.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:36 am

Hey bradmiller,

Sorry man, I forgot to mention that.. thanks !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brennanm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Hey rmack,

I have actually just purchased 2 juvie day geckos and will be introducing them to their setup tomorrow morning. I tried to do some research on what soil to use as i have some real plants in there (Water grass & "peace in the home" ground cover). I was also pretty concerned about what soil i could use. The only answers i could get was that i should use 100% organic potting soil. I went to the local nursery and got some 100% organic Calterra potting soil. Now i see you guys are talking about changing the soil every now and then. I dont think that will be possible in my tank as i have planted stuff in the soil.

Will this pose as a huge problem? Please let me know of your findings and how your setup goes
Brennanm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rmack » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:50 pm

Hey

Thanks for the replies. This is going to be a bio-active substrate set up with a drainage layer so I don't think that it shall get too wet.
So I think that I will go for it and set it up with the potting soil. I'll just look out for any mushrooms and other "hitch-hikers".
I am planting the viv a philodendron and a boston fern and I should be getting the geckos soon.
rmack
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:14 am

@Brennanm I think you mean Culterra not Calterra...
FYI Culterra add fertilizer and other chemicals to their potting soil - I checked with them so I would not use it.

@rmack - I would also suggest getting a worm farm and using the worm tea as a natural food for your live plants - diluted of coarse and given once every 2 weeks. Works like a charm!
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

Yeah, it's been mentioned. Just make DEAD sure there is no added fertilizer.
Even if it's organic. They aren't always free of these harmful chemicals.
It's sometimes scary to discover what chemicals they put into their products.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby rmack » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

@bradmiller That sounds like a good plan, I'll give it a try.

@Gabi How does one check for fertilisers? their website was pretty vague and there are no ingredients on the bag.
rmack
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:10 pm

Well, I checked out their website and they seem to love the 100% natural thing.

Usually, they will say what's in the medium, especially anything harmful. I just know from experience that organic does not mean all natural and fantastic. They can use some harsh chemicals. Maybe send them an email?
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Return to Enclosure substrates & decor