heaters safe in a wendy?

heaters safe in a wendy?

Postby Foxticity » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:58 pm

Good DAy

I have a 3x4 wendy hut which i use for my lizard room. In winter the temps drop very low.

I bough a eccoheat wall mounted hater that i want to use.

Im scared to skrew the heater onto the wooden wendy walls.

Will it be fine to skrw it onto the wendy wall or what els can i do to prevent any danger?
I really need to increae heat in the wendy so please help?

Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

Thanx all
Foxticity
SA Reptiles Member

Re: heaters safe in a wendy?

Postby reptilefeeders » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:24 am

Hi there,

Dont know if it has been done but if not I would insolate the walls,floor and roof of the wendy house. That would sort of keep the temps stable to a point.
The panel heater will work but would connect it to a thermostat so that it does not get to hot. There is some nice plug in thermostats available for around R300 and you can set the desired temp on it.
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:20 am

Screwing a heater of that size to a wooden wall would not be a safe thing to do. If you place a piece of asbestos walling between the heater and wood then that would be a far better idea. A wall heater would only heat one area and you will have to look as some method to slowly circulate the air in the room. These heaters also dry out the air quite a bit so be aware of that too.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Psychogav » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 pm

I have just done the same thing, I insulated the roof with polystyrene, put a thick carpet and underfelt on the floor, and attached three of the econoheat (2 X 260W and 1 X 400W) panels to the walls. They are not too heavy and have four plastic supports which seem to work very well. The only thing is these heaters are still not that effective. I find myself running the 2 260watt panels continuously day and night and the 400W is attached to my thermostat and comes on intermittently in the day and throughout the evening. These heaters are also child and pet friendly so they will not burn your shed down. (They Frankly do not get hot enough)
Psychogav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptilefeeders » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Now that we are on the subject of heating a reptile room.
I will be using a 2, 7 meter x 5, 5 meter (15 sq) garage for a snake room. I will be insolating ALL the walls and the roof with Isotherm insulation as well as putting insulation down on the floor and cover it with wood panels and then carpet. With that I think the temps should stay stable in the room.
Now I have the following options to heat the room to keep it at a constant 22’c:
1) Installing an air conditioner and setting it on auto to keep the room temp constant at 22’c
2) Installing panel heaters (2-3) and run them of a thermostat as well as putting in a ceiling fan and run it on the lowest speed to circulate the hot air around the room.
3) Using a oil heater on a thermostat as well as putting in a ceiling fan to circulate the hot air around the room.
For cooling I am planning on putting in 2 extractor fans in the room and then using the ceiling fan to circulate the air.
Now I have been thinking about it for a while and I have no clue witch of the 3 options to use to make sure the room stays at the temp that I want it to be.
reptilefeeders
SA Reptiles Member

Postby TonyK » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:28 pm

Psychogav wrote:(They Frankly do not get hot enough)

I have a 400w one in my office at work and its so weak if I leave my door open the heater does nothing to warm the room.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kev » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:33 pm

I have 2 in my well insulated Ball room and it just keeps the tems at about 22.
They need to run all the time and the room is only 3 by 2!
I will be going with an aircon once I need to move into a bigger room.
Kev
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building