My Gaboon enclosure project

My Gaboon enclosure project

Postby Jacquesvw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi guys,

I would like to share my recently finished enclosure building project for my male Gaboon Adder.

The enclosure size is 2.5m long by 2.5m wide and 2.5m high and is constructed out of brick walls, a semi transparent corrugated fiberglass roof and a large sliding glass door in the front.

Here is a picture from outside:

The temperature and humidity are controlled with a KELD KLTH43 controller and is capable of controlling the entire climate inside the cage.

The enclosure is capable of heating, cooling, humidifying as well as dehumidifying depending on what is required to maintain the correct environmental conditions.
Everything is fully automated and can be adjusted if needed by only changing a few settings on the controller.

Heating is primarily achieved by using a Xpelair WH30 fan heater, but there is also a basking spot heated by heating pads and an UVB light to stimulate solar rays.

Humidifying is done with the help of a Bosan UPH-3000 Ultrasonic Humidifier. This model is fitted with an UV-C lamp to sterilize the fog before it leaves the system thus preventing airborne bacteria from causing health risks.

The water feeding into the humidifier is also filtered with a reverse osmosis system to remove lime/calcium and thus preventing the humidifier from causing a layer of mineral powder forming inside the enclosure.

Cooling and dehumidifying is achieved by increasing the enclosure's ventilation. For this I use two Xpelair GXC6 extraction fans. (See humidifier pic.)

There are life plants and a small fountain in the cage as well. I opted for tropical cycads and one tree fern because they will do well in shady and humid conditions and look good.
The fountain is for providing drinking water as well as decorative purposes. The flowing water also helps with stabilizing the enclosure temperature to a small degree.

When I initially tested the enclosure's temperate fluctuations throughout the day I had trouble with over heating due to the greenhouse effect caused by the fiberglass roof. The cooling system couldn't keep up on very hot days, but the solution was to use shade netting as a radiant barrier. As can be seen from the pics I hung the shade netting about 50mm underneath the roof and this keeps the building from becoming too hot, but still lets enough sunlight through to keep the plans alive and stimulate a forrest floor effect.

Air temperature is maintained between 24-28C, but may go up to 32C on very hot days. (However the floor of the enclosure is always about 4C cooler than the air, except for the basking spot where heating pads are under the floor.)
Humidity is kept between 40-50% RH, however at night when the outside temperature drops the relative humidity inside will rise. To prevent condensation from taking place the ventilation system will kick-in to bring down the humidity to 50%RH.

Unfortunately I didn't keep track of exact costs involved with building this enclosure, but a quick estimation works out at a little over R43000. I'm sure that if I build another one of these I will be able to do it for much cheaper since I've gained allot of experience from this project and there are a number of places where costs can be cut... for example I found cheaper bricks that do not require plastering and installing a 9000 btu air conditioner will be allot cheaper than the three Xpelair fans and will be more energy efficient as well.

Finally, here are a couple of pics of my Gaboon adder in his new home. He is about to shed, so his coloring is not a their best, but once he sheds I will upload more photos.

I'm also looking for some medium sized females, so please let me know if you have some for sale or know of anyone selling some.

Jacquesvw
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My Gaboon enclosure project

Postby bradmiller » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

Really awesome work - Love the automation.

You should use leaf litter as a substrate rather that the bark - its more the natural substrate of gabbies.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Shaun P » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:26 pm

That enclosure is outstanding! Well done
Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles,
It takes away today's peace.
Shaun P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Awesome. Can see you went to some great lengths for the happiness of your snake.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 pm

That's absolutely brilliant ! I'm pretty sure your Gaboon will be one of the happiest on earth haha...

Thanks a lot for sharing !

Regards
Louis.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:13 am

Awesome work! Not something we see everyday and it is encouraging to see someone go to all this trouble for that one special snake.

I have got a few pictures of Gaboon habitat, so if you would like me to forward this to you, just shout.

Again, SUPER well done.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:24 am

Excellent enclosure. They will be quite happy there!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jacquesvw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 am

Thanks for all the compliments.

I would like to improve the "look" of the habitat and substrate. I decided to use bark for now, because I don't have any leave litter that looks attractive and also not sure how it can be cleaned before using it on the enclosure floor.
Cleaning the bark was easy and I first hosed down the soil with a high pressure WAP thing and then boiled the bark in water before sun drying it on some mesh. That surely killed all critters that lived in the bark, because the last thing I wanted is to introduce my Gaboon into an enclosure full of mites and other parasites.

We also have allot of issues with ants this year due to the drought in my area, so I first covered the floor with baby powder and then spread the bark over that. The original plan was to use half decayed leaves and bark and also some of those moss you buy at nurseries, but I feared that would attract too many bugs.

Any photos of the Gaboon's natural habitual will be very welcome and appreciated.
Jacquesvw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:49 am

Here are some pictures of the habitat in Southern DRC.

Just keep in mind that the range of this species is massive so this might not be perfect.

Also, all these pictures were taken in the wet season. They have a dry season from June to September where it's VERY dry, dusty and veld fires are common.

I can't wait to see your enclosure in a few months when it has "settled."
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Jacquesvw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 am

Thank you very much, that's gives me a much better idea what direction I should go in.

The undergrowth is pretty overgrown/dense, so I will look at ways I can improve on that in the cage, but still allow one to easily spot the snake and allow for safe handling inside the enclosure.
Jacquesvw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:29 am

I agree that layer of bark chips needs to go. Just normal potting soil will be fine. That plus a layer of leaves (autumn is upon us) will be more appreciated.

I really hope you get a second room going for a female and manage to introduce them together as they should do well there. Look at being able to link the two via a passage/tunnel when mating time comes.

The amount of light is a bit of a problem. Gaboons do not like bright lights and as you can see he is trying to hide in the bit of shade provided. They are found in forests and will bask in sunlight for a short period and then move back into the undergrowth. Look at making "umbrellas" for him to hide under. Lots of tree ferns might be the answer.

Give him a flat water bowl that he can drink water from as the bubbling spring effect is not his first choice to drink from. Make sure you disinfect the waterfall often enough that it does not build up algae and bacteria.

Are you sure that as the seasons change the sun will not over heat the cage in winter? I know it sounds silly but I had this problem a few years ago. We forget how hot the winter sun can be on a closed glass cage. Possibly shade cloth over the top part of the glass doors will be required.

I hope you have a generator for the rooms because if the electricity goes out on a very hot day or a very cold night you will have problems.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

Yes BV, constructive critisism is always good, but i think complementing is also due here. Credit where it is due man, Jacquesvw, i have never seen anyone put as much money or passion into one pet snakes home. Well done man.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jacquesvw » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:36 am

@Bushviper, thanks for providing me with your expert view.

Bushviper wrote:I agree that layer of bark chips needs to go. Just normal potting soil will be fine. That plus a layer of leaves (autumn is upon us) will be more appreciated.

I will change the substrate with potting soil as soon as it stops raining. I actually have many bags already lying around. I also found a tree with very nice leaves and they are starting to fall off for winter so I will collect some of them.

Bushviper wrote:I really hope you get a second room going for a female and manage to introduce them together as they should do well there. Look at being able to link the two via a passage/tunnel when mating time comes.

Yep, the plan is to expand on my Gaboon collection.

Bushviper wrote:The amount of light is a bit of a problem. Gaboons do not like bright lights and as you can see he is trying to hide in the bit of shade provided. They are found in forests and will bask in sunlight for a short period and then move back into the undergrowth. Look at making "umbrellas" for him to hide under. Lots of tree ferns might be the answer.

I should have mentioned earlier that I had the florescent lights inside the cage switched on for taking the photos. Normally when they are off there is only some filtered sunlight coming though, so I don't think lighting conditions are a problem.

Bushviper wrote:Give him a flat water bowl that he can drink water from as the bubbling spring effect is not his first choice to drink from. Make sure you disinfect the waterfall often enough that it does not build up algae and bacteria.

Ok, will introduce another smaller bowl as well.

Bushviper wrote:Are you sure that as the seasons change the sun will not over heat the cage in winter? I know it sounds silly but I had this problem a few years ago. We forget how hot the winter sun can be on a closed glass cage. Possibly shade cloth over the top part of the glass doors will be required.

I will keep a close eye on the temperature changes throughout the next year and if necessary will make some changes. The ventilation system is capable of moving about 250m3 of air per hour and considering the cage is only 16m3 it should not be a problem drawing in cool air from outside especially in winter when air temperatures are pretty low here. The overheating issue I had when initially testing the climate was that even the outside air was pretty hot, but this year was probably one of the hottest I can remember. Today is the first time it's actually raining continually for the entire summer. It's much colder today and I have to say that the enclosure is pretty comfortable when I went inside earlier today.

Bushviper wrote:I hope you have a generator for the rooms because if the electricity goes out on a very hot day or a very cold night you will have problems.

Yes, we live on a diary farm and have a huge backup generator that kicks in when the power goes out because we have to keep the milk tanks cool anyway.
Jacquesvw
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Well done Jacquesvw, you really went all out and not to mention spent a small fortune on this enclosure.

I am keen to see the roof and ceiling construction as well. Is the whole roof covered in semi transparent corrugated fiberglass, because I'm sure this will cause you endless problems with overheating and as you already said greenhouse effect. If so, you may want to consider replacing the entire fiberglass roofing for a normal roof with the addition of a sky light over a smaller section of the enclosure which will still allow enough natural light in for the plants to grow and provide your snakes with natural basking spots which will move throughout the day as the sun changes it's angle. Corrugated polycarbonate would also be a good material to use for a sky light.

You mention having problems with ants because you are going through a drought in your area, where are you based?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake-fanatic » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:51 pm

I did not read the entire post, but your enclosure is very special! and gaboons is awsome snakes!
but what i have noticed is the louds of open 'air space', because gaboons are ground snakes, will you be able to combine some tree snakes in the enclosure?
im thinking of maybe some western natal green snakes or spotted bush snakes (something that would not strike you when you have to consentrate on the gaboon)... that will give some life and extra color to the enclosure.

Im not big on the captive knowladge but even with my fishtank i like to create a habitat that makes your jaw drop...
I love God and the wonderful nature that HE created!
Snake-fanatic
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Enclosure building