need some feedback/advice

Re: need some feedback/advice

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 am

It was an overseas site... will see if I can get it again. I stumbled on it while doing waterfall research.

Judging form your question I take it that that is misinformation?

I put Azura into her small viv again and think I will grout the foam just to make sure.
0.1.0. Wildtype corn snake
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:30 am

If it turns out to be toxic, Grout it a few layers letting cure well between layers, and then seal with an acrylic ( non Toxic ) sealant again a few layers letting cure well between layering.

I saw this on a few places were they make rock art for reptile cages. Ill ad some links might even give you an idea or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDxkhchj ... 96dDTBKIKg

Good luck, and it looks good.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks for the heads up.

I have decided to use marine silicone to cover the entire are and let it cure for a week. once that is done there also shouldnt be any more problems
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:42 am

it all depends how you do it - like king hero says if you cover it and seal it then fine.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fishy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Just check if it is flammable or not. easiest way to see if it is safe to use. and secondly make sure not part of the foam comes in contact with water(directly). Just a silly questions. wouldn't it have been easier to by a corner tank and make a top accessed viv?
Fishy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:09 pm

Hmmm I am sure it would have been eadiet. ... but hey, where is the fun in that? But honestly now. I needed a new hobby and building a viv was right down my alley.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:45 am

OK... so here is my idea for a waterfall.

I will make a small drainage hole in the back corner of my viv and put a proper aquarium into my cupboard at the bottom.

The pump itself will be in the aquarium and go through another hole to the waterfall.
That hole will be sealed via silicone.

Both holes will be behind a fake rock wall, so Azura wont be able to get washed down by accident.

The Vivarium will not be as wet as normal, plus I got easy access to the pump and if I ever want to replace the water it is also easily done... just put another pipe into the pump, drain the water, and and just put new water in afterwards.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fishy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:59 pm

Looks like a good idea. and good luck! And yes viv building is going to be interesting
Fishy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:57 am

Well... the entire Viv is build, including the runners for the glass (PS: No more Nails works like a charm)

I will be slowing down a bit as Azura will only be old enough to go into this Viv in a few months time.
But updates will still be coming :D
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:16 am

OK... here is another idea that I had of implementing and I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

You get those automatic thermometers that switch on heating or cooling depending if it is to hot or cold.
I want to get one of those and actually monitor the temps inside the aquarium with the water in.
Seeing that the water will be cycled through the tank it would mean that there is no cooling or heating equipment in the viv itself.

So here are my concerns:
1. Will the water temp be enough to regulate the entire viv?
2. Would it create a big enough temp gradient?
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

Hi everyone,

SO I wanted to plant a Josephs Coat into my Vivarium and my neighbour brought me this plant on one of her excursions.

Now I am not 100% certain if this is indeed a Josephs Coat so before I got and poison my gecko I thought I would rather check up on it.

So question: Is this Josephs Coat or not?

AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fishy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:46 am

1. Dont think the water will be able to heat the whole cage.

2. and i dont think the temp gradient will be big enough. also most of the heat will be at the bottom, then rise to the top. so theoretically you will be able to heat the entire cage, which you dont want.

also if you heat the water remember that there will be alot of evaporation.

and sorry i cant help with the plant
Fishy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:48 am

Thanks fishy,

I will monitor the sitation closely once I got the waterfall running.
Till then, here is the start of my one wall segment that has a waterfall in it.

AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kinghero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 am

I have the following in my Gecko enclosure and it works super well.
It is a standard fern like the ones you see in Durbun next to the road, they do like the humidity I then just added some rooibos teabags to the soil and once a month I let some milk go of in the container add some water and then water the fern with that, it makes them grow stronger.

they do get a little out of hand but you just prune it back and bam, bobs you uncle

PS: I got this picture of the net as I don't have a picture of mine at this point in time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kinghero
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AS.Legion » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:44 am

Hi Kinghero,

Thanks for the advice.
I was already thinking of putting ferns in, as well as Hen and Chicks (Spiderplants) and a bonsaied Fern tree.

The waterfall is completely up now. Just giving me some leakage problems that I am busy taking care of.

There is some stuff that is similar to PondSeal at Brights hardware at the fraction of the cost. Works wonders till now.

Pics to come soon.
AS.Legion
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Enclosure building