Varanus albigularis caging

Varanus albigularis caging

Postby LizardLover » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:46 pm

Building a large indoor enclosure for my little monster. 2000mmx600mmx600mm are the dimensions. Using shutterply, 18mm thick. Lips would be 200mm so I can fill up the cage with sand and soil (50/50 mixture). One support (300mm wide and just high enough to fit in) against the lips(on the inside) to prevent the roof from bending inwards and other problems that could occur. Glass will be 5mm thick and on top of the lips. I will coat each plank with pool coating. Once they're all put together, seal the edges with silicone.

As for heating and other things, basking lamp for the day and heat emitter at night (in winter). The hides and burrows I still need to think about, but as for a water source I thought about putting a sink in. Drill a hole in the bottom of the cage to put the piping through. Much easier to clean and would be nice to have a large water feature for the cage.

Any one that has ideas or would like to correct mine, please do so, thanks for reading.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Varanus albigularis caging

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:17 pm

Place some large pipes in the ground which lead to an underground chamber which has a lid so that it cannot collapse and in which the pipes lead uphill so that water does not flow into his "bedroom". You can make the chamber two bricks high and each wall two or three bricks long. Place an asbestos lid on that and build it near the top the mound in the centre of the cage. Make a pipe leading out of there downwards so that he move in and out easily. The pipe might have to have a rather large diameter to accommodate his eventual size. You can always access the chamber from the roof if need be.

Make sure it does not get too hot in summer either. Possibly you might have to replace one of the roof panels with wire mesh which you can close with plastic in winter.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Varanus albigularis caging

Postby LizardLover » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:09 pm

Thank you for the excellent idea!

I don't think getting too hot in the summer would be a problem as he has an outdoor enclosure, but will replace the roof with wire mesh just in case.
LizardLover
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building