affordable housing

affordable housing

Postby fatman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:58 am

Living in Botswana, I need a license to capture and hold a WC house snake. This seems to be easier than importing an exotic or CB specimen. The problem is that in order apply, one needs to demonstrate the intended housing of the snake. His can I spend a huge amount on an enclosure simply to apply? With the very real risk of being rejected? Thus I have decided in a 50 litre plastic storage box with a lot of ventilation holes soldered through, and a basic cats water bowl, home made hide from the bottom of a margarine container. The difficulty is in heating. Everything needs to be imported. Would an energy saver bulb placed against the side if the enclosure be sufficient? In Botswana summer in door temperatures can reach 37 degrees so cooling might be necessary then. Can the premise be applied that the snake species naturally occurs in the area be used and that it could do well on ambient temperatures in doors?

Thanks in advance.
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: affordable housing

Postby Bushviper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:00 pm

If you are keeping a House snake the chances are you will not require heating for this snake. In summer just make sure the ventilation is adequate and that the cage is in a cool area of the house.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: affordable housing

Postby fatman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm

Thank you Bushviper. I hope the wildlife department is receptive.
"There are three things too wonderful for me, yea four which i do not understand....the way of a serpent upon a rock" Prov 30 vs 18, 19
fatman
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building