Cage lights

Cage lights

Postby SABOAMAN » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:23 am

Hi

I'm wondering what type of lights you guys use in your cages, if any?

I installed the "under counter / bar lights" in my Red tail boa cages, on a daylight timer. But these lights doesn't seem to last. I lost two lights in the last two months. And one of them was less than a year old. The other problem with these lights is that they stock only the complete light and not the light tube at most retailers. So I'm back to the start, installing a new light + fitting every time.

I would like to keep lights in the cages, as long as it is snake safe, but need some ideas as to what I must change my cage lights to.

Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Rudolf
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Cage lights

Postby Ryuu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:52 am

Good Morning..

Let me Know the light tubes make and model and I might be able to get you some
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 am

I have always used the normal ballasts you buy at the expo's or pet shops, like this.

Then you buy these Osram tubes from Builders and other hardware stores. They are not expensive, about R30 or R40 each and last long.

I screw them to the top front lip of the cage. Larger snakes can push the tube out of those crappy plastic fittings so I buy metal clips and use them, can cable tie the tube into them.
The only issue I have with this is the ballast sits inside the cage and snakes always manages to put the wire out and hang on them.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby SABOAMAN » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:15 am

Thanks Eugene, I used to have those in the cages years ago. Like you mentioned the plastic clip is flimsy and snakes like to unclip them from the roof. Add the electronic ballast to the inside and the snake likes the heat.

Will check on the make and model and let you know Ryuu, over the long weekend I will have time to do this

Thanks
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ryuu » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:18 am

Awesome. But the Ones Eugene Mentioned Work Perfectly.
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building