Measurements for snake rack

Measurements for snake rack

Postby MattyN » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 am

Hi guys

I am looking at building my own 15 tub rack using Addis's 11 litre tubs. I already have the tubs and was wondering if anyone had the measurements for such a rack. 3 tubs wide, 5 levels high is what I am looking at.

Shot
MattyN
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Measurements for snake rack

Postby Mitton » Wed May 20, 2015 12:19 pm

Easiest is to just measure yourself, then you know the tubs you have will fit perfectly. Do a basic hand drawing of what you want so you can see it and make sure you work out all measurements.
Put 3 tubs upside down next to each other and see what area they take up. Replicate that for the bottom, 4 shelves and top.
Measure the height of the tubs and decide what gap you want between tub and shelf about. Measure thickness of your wood (shelves) and then you can work out what size you need for the sides and back.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby TonyK » Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 pm

I found that the Addis tubs are not all identical so just to be safe measure a few then use the average size for your calculations.In the past by pure bad luck I measured an undersize tub and then a few of the oversize ones did not fit.Its pretty impossible to assemble your shelves free hand so make yourself a spacer which will then give you the perfect gap between each shelf.
TonyK
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed May 20, 2015 1:47 pm

TonyK wrote:I found that the Addis tubs are not all identical so just to be safe measure a few then use the average size for your calculations.In the past by pure bad luck I measured an undersize tub and then a few of the oversize ones did not fit.Its pretty impossible to assemble your shelves free hand so make yourself a spacer which will then give you the perfect gap between each shelf.

Yeah, had the same as well. Especially height.
What I do is put 4 old CD's on the corners of each tub and the next shelf on the CD's. I then use clamps to keep the shelf there and screw it in.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MattyN » Wed May 20, 2015 2:19 pm

Cool thanks guys. I am thinking of using a piece of abs between the tubs and shelves, this gives a small gap, big enough for tubs to slide comfortably but small enough that animals don't escape.
MattyN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Henre » Wed May 20, 2015 9:51 pm

What materials do you plan on using for the rack?
Timber standard measurements will normally be about 22mm if you use planks, the pine shelving is normally a bit less at about 19mm while supawood is 16mm, you could also use ply which comes in thicknesses of 6, 8, 12, 16, 22mm.
If it were me, Id use 12mm marine ply for the shelves with 22mm uprights to carry them, kinda like in the image. You'll basically end up with something like the pic, the plan has two options, one with the uprights flat toward the ply and braces between, see dotted lines on the top plan. Or to take a jig saw and do cut-outs for the uprights, you'll then just need a corner block to fix the ply to the upright, that together with side and backing panels will give you enough structural stability to carry everything, however if in doubt use 16mm :-D
To work out the width take the max width of your tray + 22mm for the upright + 50mm for tolerance = width from the end of one post to the next so say your trays are 300mm you'll end up with 900+88+150=total width with opening spaced equally
For height leave 100mm open below your bottom shelf (alternatively build it flat and put castor wheels below) add 12mm for the shelf then height of tray + 50mm for tolerance and to get your hand in, so say your trays are 200mm, you'll end up with 1000+100+72+250=total height with equal openings and 100mm spacing off the floor. Depth of shelf = depth of tray + 50mm
Fix your shelves and uprights together add the side and backing panels fixing to the uprights and you are good to go...
Board sizes on ply is 1700x2800 if I am not mistaken :smt017
Or you could use steel and have the trays slide on a angle bar :smt004

Henre
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MattyN » Thu May 21, 2015 8:02 am

Thanks Henre. Planned on using Melanine for the build.
MattyN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Henre » Thu May 21, 2015 10:05 am

You will then be working with 16mm, personally I don't like it. It does not wear nicely and being chip board it does not like to be moved around as any strain on your joins will cause it to want to tear out, but that's just personal preference. At least you now have a plan and elevation to work off of, just add your dims...
Henre
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Enclosure building