Carpet Pythons

Re: Carpet Pythons

Postby Quintin » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:38 am

Loving the first pic of your last post Eugene!!!

Beautiful snake! I see some nice breeding projects coming up.. nudge nudge, wink wink!! lol

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Karin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:22 am

love these snakes, great pics in your last post!
Karin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slayer69 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Awesome!
Can't wait for my CP to come. Hopefully as soon I can organise an enclosure for her.
Slayer69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Burmbuddy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:15 am

Very nice Jungles man!
Those are on my “what body part will I sell off next to get” list…not really using my left foot that much…
Keep the pics coming, and yea, it is scary/exciting to think those are just going to get better and better…
Cheers
DAN
Psalms 144:1
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle.
Burmbuddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks for the comments

These are my favorite snakes, they are truly beautiful and the BEST display snakes ever. There is always one lying out on one of the branches during the day and at night they will come out and move around for a while then just lay on the perches and logs. I have the cage in my lounge so it is always nice to watch them while watching tv.

Burmbuddy, I would recommend them to anyone any time. I got them from Gavin, maybe ask him if he will have any available again this year, they are not even expensive.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Sorry to highjack the thread a bit mittone, but wanted to hear what guys think about my carpets without starting a new thread.

Both of them are just under 3 years and I'm so happy I finally got them onto rats. They refused rats until recently. The female is a "high yellow" normal and the male is a normal x jungle intergrade. I'm fattening them up to hopefully breed them next year.

Female

Male

Hope everyone likes them as much as I do, but I highly doubt it ;)
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Matt Robinson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:35 pm

Why do you doubt it. These snakes are awesome! The female has a really nice colour. What species do you mean when you say normal? Variegata?
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Westley, if they were not good looking I would have asked the Mods to immediately remove this post from my thread. :smt019 Not a problem at all, they are both really good looking snakes.

I think your female has more Jungle in her than the male, imo.

Now I NEED to know how you got them on rats, my 2 won’t even look at a rat. I have tried everything with them, even cut a mouse open and rubbed the insides on a rat. Not a good day.

Matty, Veriegata is the Darwin Carpet Python. I think what is known as normals here in SA are the Coastal Carpet pythons – Morelia spilota mcdowelli.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Sico » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:04 pm

both the jungle carpets i have take rats without any issue, the one is still really small so he takes large fuzzy rats, the big takes large rats no problem, but i got him large, dunno how he started off.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Matty, all carpet pythons are the same species, but in the subspecies is where the difference occur. I bought these as variegata from a reputable breeder, and she called them normals, so I simply accepted that. After research I noticed that Irian Jaya carpets are called variegata and, as mittone said, Darmin carpets are called the same and clearly these are Irian Jayas, but maybe "normals" and Irian Jayas are the same ssp?

Mittone, I just kept offering rats for a while with no luck, but the took their first rats after I fed them a small mouse and got them into "feeding mode". They freely took rats after that, but like you said, it can be a bugger to get them onto rats. I'm just glad it's done, because it seems like a aweful waste to feed 5 mice to a single snake in one sitting while I have so many other mouths to feed.

Thank you for the kind comments
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Snakes4Africa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:10 pm

Beautiful snakes. There is a lot of confusion in this country, and abroad, as to what is a Jungle and what is a Coastal Carpet. Yours both look like Jungles. As for eating rats, my male does, my female doesn't. My female eats small guinea pigs though, the male doesn't. Both eat mice.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Sico, they say some Carpets eat rats from the start and others can stay on mice all their life.
Have you ever posted pics of yours on this forum, would love to see them.

Westley, Irian Jaya Carpet pythons have now been changed to Morelia Spilota Harrisoni, Darwins (Northwestern Carpet python) are still Veriegata.
Like Snakes4Africa said, big confusion on what is what, all I know is there is no such thing as a normal Carpet Python. If you post on any of the international forums they will call what we call Normal, Coastal - mcdowelli.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Ag, apologies, I meant to say "clearly these ARENT Iraian Jaya".

Thanx for that interesting info Mittone. Never knew that.
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Matt Robinson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:25 pm

Sorry westley, i meant subspecies. Was just trying to find out what a normal was.

Thanks Mittone for clearing it up.
Matt Robinson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:58 pm

Mittone_79 here goes

the baby which i think is a male

and the larger one which i got from Putridity in CT
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)