Leopard gecko treats

Leopard gecko treats

Postby Stefan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:33 pm

could i make leopard gecko treats this is what had in mind kill a meal worm the wrap him in baby food that is tightend to a dough with flour.
Or kill a meal worm them wrap him in wet dogfood. and freeze them for later use will this work.sounds tasty :smt016
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby paul » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:52 pm

I am not sure if the dough or wet dog food is the best idea. They are not designed to eat these types of food (dough and all the meal). I could cause a lot of problems if the gecko is dehydrated. They are designed to eat insects, not pies!
paul
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Stefan » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:46 pm

heres someting from another website where i thought of the wet dog food
O.K, I know leopard geckos are one of the easiest lizards to breed, but I just thought I'd share my "breeding diet" etc. with you guys.

Tis diet works well to get your leo's in breeding condition. (I have also given this diet to leo's in very bad condition from guys who didn't know how to care for them properly, and it works very well) I feed my Leo's in da night.
Remember this is for adults!!!
2x a week: Dog food, I use Husky meatloaf. this might sound a bit strange but it seems to be good for them and they really like it. You might have to train them first, put a little food on a T-spoon or blunt forcepts and move it around in front of their nose. In this I mix the sups(vitamins and minerals, and calcium. Give the ladies lots of calcium to prevent egg-binding!!!!)

1x a week: Pinky, I give'm dead wth sups injected, or small hissing roaches

2x a week: Crickets/Mealworms

1x a week: Don't gve'm anyting, you don't wanna make'm FAT!!!

(Non-Breeding Leo's I don't feed them 2 times a week, I leave out the pinky, but i do give'm roaches sumtimes instead of either dogfood or Crickets/Mealworms)

I give'm a temp. gradient of about 32-33 on da warm side, and about 25.5-26 on da cold side. But it drops a little at night.

I keep all my breeding leo's alone in a cage of about 62cmx40x40 and only intoduve them to their mates at breeding times. This routine might sound a bit strange, but my adults are thriving and they produce big eggs and big beautiful babies!! Good luck, and God bless all Leopard Geckos!!!
Stefan
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gabi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:26 am

This is a diet for fattening up the females for breeding. And the writer does state quote: In this I mix the sups(vitamins and minerals, and calcium.

Giving them dog meat as is is not recommended.

A decent treat for a leopard gecko could be wax worms they are high in fat however and don't have enough proteins to be a main part of the gecko's diet but they do make a good treat every now and then. As with pinkies they make good treats now and then.
Artificial intelligence usually beats real stupidity.
Gabi
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby paul » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:17 am

I agree with Gabi on this. Never feed dog food to a leopard gecko. Pinkies do make nice treats, and with regular feedings your leo's should not need any fattening up before breeding!
paul
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Leopard geckos (Eublepharis macularius)