Puff adder as first hot?

Puff adder as first hot?

Postby scott » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:26 pm

I have not kept snakes before, I'm 34 and have just bought a large 1.2 m snake cabinet. Northlands pets have set it up with a nice desert theme. I have aways had a fasination with adders,where do I start and what's a good adder to keep? I have the cabinet at work and has a lock on so its very safe. I'm not big into handling snakes so the only time I will touch snake is to clean and feed. Who can teach me how to handle snake? I have done a lot of research but need hands on practice.

Edited BS - please use punctuation marks! (I changed your topic name so that people know what the thread is about)
scott
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puff adder as first hot?

Postby Serpy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Uhm I wouldn't suggest a venomous snake as a first snake, especially because you've never had formal training on handling venomous snakes. Also the fact that the snake will be kept at your work where it can be dangerous not only to yourself but everyone around you. I would strongly suggest you rethink keeping a viper or any other venomous snake as your first snake.
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Start with a woes molesnake first... Sounds sissy compared to a hot like a puffie, but it's a good way to learn.
There are plenty of discussions available through the search function on obtaining one legally in your province.
What happens in 6 months if you learn the hard way that you can't really handle an animal that can do some serious damage or cause death if and when it lands it's mark unexpectedly?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:52 pm

There are also courses offered that can teach you to handle venomous snakes. Perhaps look out for the next upcoming one in your area.. You need to be confident working with the correct "tools" of the trade too. A good hookstick and suitable pair of grips are something you might want to look into.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:52 am

@ scott - Please forget about getting a "HOT" as a first snake.

I consider myself to be reasonably experienced at snake catching and handling, but, one moment of inattention and I got tagged by my "NON-VENOMOUS" Taiwanese Rat Snake.
The point here is that due to inexperience it is only a matter of time and you will get "TAGGED", rather get tagged by non-venomous until you build up the necessary experience to handle hots.

Just my bit of advice ( use it, don't use it - your choice ).
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 am

Welcome Scott.

only time I will touch snake is to clean and feed

That is major cause for concern, never touch a venomous snake! Please do a course first. Courses are announced here:

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=26

Trust me, you don't want to experience this, and that was a mild bite.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby scott » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:13 pm

thanks for all the good advice,i got a pair of horned adders,i believe they are the softest of hots.
im being assisted by some snake handlers ,so i will have to learn the hard way..
scott
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 am

scott wrote:so i will have to learn the hard way..

Eish, some times there is only one way.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:27 pm

I hope learning the hard way isn't landing up in hospital with a sever caudalis bite which is extremely possible, and have an uneducated doctor cut the site to relieve pressure of the swelling, and leave you with an appendige that will never work properly again. I'm going to be honest I don't think you thought this through, but you're not a kid and you've made your decision.

Good luck!
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:22 am

Good luck with them... Awesome little character's.
Be safe.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Loslappie » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 am

Congrats on the snakes Scott, Very odd choice for a first snake though, I think most start with corns or a house snake etc. Please be safe and not complacent.
Those snakes do pack a nasty punch.
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alberts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 am

Eina dude... learning the hard way! I stand with Serpy on this one, I don't think much thought went into this decision.
I live in my own little world, but don't worry...the people there know me
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:05 am

I guess sometimes the best way to learn is by jumping into the deep end head first?
Once you've made your mind up to get a venomous snake, despite the advice given, the mind is made up and the only choice then is which snake to get.
Admirable in some aspects, perhaps a bit foolhardy in others... time will tell.

One can only hope that the advice with regards to their potent venom is heeded and due safety protocols are followed.

Scott, Please post some pictures of your new aquisitions... Would love to see them as I'm sure many others would too.
Thanks.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Zookeeper » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:50 pm

With respect to everyone but I feel everybody has to start some where.Seems almost like a rite of passage to start with Horned Adders and then move on.I think I was 14 when I got my first one.Good luck with your new snakes hopfully they will eat mice.I had a few that prefered lizards which can make things difficult for a beginner.
Zookeeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alberts » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:18 pm

My first hot was a small Rinkals when I was 14. Love that snake! But then again, at that stage I've been keeping snakes for more than 2 years and started off with a Brown house snake. I think its just better to start off with a non venomous snake, just to learn all the basics. But that's just my 2 cents!
I live in my own little world, but don't worry...the people there know me
alberts
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Puff adders (Bitis arietans)