Puff adder as first hot?

Re: Puff adder as first hot?

Postby Loslappie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey SCott great that they are eating, now just to get the feeding schedule sorted, I would think if you are feeding them large prey items, do it once a month instead. Im going out on a limb here, but does rats not have a higher protein and fat content than mice?
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:00 pm

I join this discussion fairly late as the topic heading itself irritated me. My main concern is that you even needed to ask these questions concerning the Horned adders. Their bite is terrible, not soft. Yes, pain is temporary, but disfigurement is permanent. Saying that a bite from a Horned Adder is less serious than a bite from a Puff Adder is like saying it is better to be hit by a car than by a bus!!
Maybe a Puff Adder would have been a better starter snake as you would make damn sure it didn't bite you!!
Back to my main concern: why did the guy who sold you these little nasties not explain all this to you? Or are you just getting further advice from this site?
Unfortunately, in some ways, here in KZN anyone can buy or sell any species of snake (excl. Gaboon or Afrock) with no permit or experience at all!! It is more often than not the snake that suffers, not the keeper.
Why did you want a venomous species to start with anyway? I feel that there are so many other species to choose from.
My 2c worth.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 pm

Caudalis bites I cant comment on, but if its in any way similar to a cornuta bite then the circus will have a private show in your lounge. Pain pain, pain and as was mentioned, disfigurement. To be honest, I think a puffadder would have been a better starter snake, as they are easier to care for.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scott » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 am

thanks again,I was told by two local shops in natal to feed once a week and not worry about water(lucky i researched on the net and saw twice a month).but after what you have said and seing the rats are bigger then pinky's i will feed every three weeks.I will spray them once a week(must i take them out there enclosure for this).
Now to explain why Horned Adders,first of all boas/pythons/house snakes don't intrest me so why have them as a pet,i have a love for deserts and there little critters/adders/scorpions/spiders/lizzards.
My tank in about 900mm by 600mm and of course desert theme(i love it which is good as i spend much of the day looking after it in my office)
As for these guys venom i must of been missled,i have spoken to two people that have been bitten 1. a doctor that works with antivenom 2. staff member of northlands and both had small blisters on hand and bad headaches.
If you research sites likes toxinoligy they give at lest 20 hospital reports of bites and the worst i came across was thumb and index finger lose(allergic to venom).Even all local books,such as Reptiles of South Africa published last year say venom is not so bad.
All this aside i don't want to be bitten and im not a child so will do everything in my power not to be bitten.
By the sound of what you are telling me these snakes are in better hands with me then they where with the pet shop,so what about helping me with my two hornerd adders and get over the fact that i bought them.
How do i tell male and female apart?and i confirm no swimming lessons just a spray?
scott
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:32 am

I have seen a number of amputations from Bitis caudalis bites. To say "both had small blisters on hand and bad headaches" is pretty naive. I have seen guys take a bite from a black mamba and nothing happened. Just because these two individuals came off lightly that does not mean that is what is always to be expected.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby froot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:05 am

Sometimes it's difficult but I first compare the width and length of the tail after the vent, the wider/longer would be the male.
With regards to hydration you can also inject water into the food item but a slight misting until decent size droplets of water form on it's body is sufficient.

No problems from our side regarding you keeping them, I'm sure you can understand from our point of view you could've been an over zealous 13 yr old youngster who hasn't been fully informed with what he is about to embark on. Good luck with them, I hope you find your experience with these amazing cratures very rewarding.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Copperbob » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 am

This may be a little off topic but I just have to take my hat off to Snakes4Africa. Almost every show I attend, I see someone at his stand getting a thorough investigation, lecture and stern warning before they are even told the price of the venomous creature, sometimes even asked to produce snake handling documentation.
I personally think this is great, as you show that you’re not looking for a quick buck but actually care for the person and the reptiles involved.

@Scott. The only way I can describe this situation and please don’t take it personally as it is the only comparison I have ever been able to think of for a novice "hot keeper". Its liking giving a loaded firearm to a 6 year old and in your case taking it to school. VERY DANGOROUS, especially the fact that they are at your work place.

Taking your reasoning into account and your age, I do think we should all get over the fact that you have purchased them and help you out as much as possible.
The best visual indicator of telling male from female, I would say, is the distance from the tip of the tail to the cloaca (waste disposal). In the case of females this distance can be visually shorter then that of a males and a spray once week should be fine but I have seen then drinking out of water bowls.
Good luck Scott and don’t forget that everyone is looking out for your safety as well as the snakes.
Post some pics please bud.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:15 am

Pictures upload for Scott.

No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Copperbob » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:16 am

Lovely man, looks like they are very happy, good going.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 am

If you could take pics of the full body maybe we can assist you in determening which is which. Males normally have longer tapering tails and females prominent stubby tails.
Nasicornis

Postby scott » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:52 am

thanks again,will take better full body pic's on mon, as for keeping them at work they are in my office and under lock(on cabnet)and door.
I just bought spray gun and have wet them a little.
well im of jet ski fishing now,tuna and sardines are here!!!!!
thanks guys(maybe a few girls amongst you)
scott
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nasicornis » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:04 am

Enjoy.
Nasicornis

Postby scott » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Guys
My horned adders are looking very lively today ,both up against the front glass.
Its been two weeks since i gave them a small rat,the both did a dump about a week later.
Do you think i should wait till week 3(next tue)or give them a small fuzzy tom.
All good other wise ,i called byron from snakes for africa to give me some advise and come see them(maybe handling practice)and he has agreed!
thanks
scott
scott
SA Reptiles Member

Postby AnsieVicente » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi
Almost three years later, I'm wondering what the outcome was for Scott and for the snakes?
Anyone have news?
Thanks
Ansie
AnsieVicente
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Last visited: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:32 pm

There's your answer.

LOL!
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Puff adders (Bitis arietans)