Carpet Pythons

Re: Carpet Pythons

Postby kingsnaker » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Awesome man,,ok thats it i made up my mind ...im getting one and thats final...Chantel if you read this, put me on your list.
"And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honor."
[Noble Quran 17:23]

http://www.islamtomorrow.com/default.asp
kingsnaker
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Thanks
Where are you based kingsnaker?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Hi guys

I need a bit of information from those in the know. My female variegata (or whatever the "normal" carpets are called these days) is acting very strange the past week or 2.

She is about 1.6-1.7m long and in great shape. Lately she just refuses to sit still. I've taken her and the male off food for winter and after being quiet most of winter so far, she all of a sudden cant sit still. She rubs her head and nose in all the enclosure corners and it's starting to damage her scales. She just seems to having the urge to move.

The male, on the other hand, is as quiet as can be and just makes an appearance every few days.

Is this some sort of mating behavior? I was under the impression that she is too small to breed.

Any advice would be great. Thanx.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nasicornis » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm

What are the temps in the enclosure like? Might she be looking for food?
No dangerous reptiles, only dangerous keepers
Nasicornis
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Are you SURE she is a female? Mine have just ovulated, but are not too active. And Nasicornis has a point... she may be hungry or simply too hot.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Could be hunger, if the temps are still up in the cage then she might be looking for food.
I have also skipped feeding my smaller (1.5m) female that won't be mating this year for a few weeks but she has also been out a few times and especially when I am in the room she comes to the front of the cage by the glass, but she is not THAT active though. I offered her 2 large mice this weekend and she took them straight away.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 pm

It's definitely not hunger. I've tried feeding her because I also thought that it was hunger.

I also ruled out the heat issue. The cage still has heat, but less than winter. I'd guess around 23 degrees or so.

Yes, I bought her as a female from one of most renound breeders in the country as a hatchling.

She has been in the exact cage for over a year now and all of a sudden she's just acting weird. The cage is also big enough with lots of height to climb.

Thanx for the input anyway guys. Maybe it's just her hormones acting up.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Have you seen any mating? Do you know what her weight is?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm

No, I haven't had her with the male. Isn't she a bit small? Well keeping in mind she is 3 and a half years old, but not very long.

I'll try check her weight tonight or tomorrow. I will post pics of her too.

Thanx mittone
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm

The age is more than enough. My female is a year younger so I am skipping her this year but next year I will breed her for sure. Also, with yours eating rats the female should be big enough by now, my female is 1.25KG and only eating mice.
I would be interested to know what her weight is.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Edit button missing again.....
I will try get some pics of all the females I have tonight with something to compare.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:35 am

Westley, did you maybe manage to get the weight of your Jungles?

Here are the pics, hope you can make out the size comparison. The tub used is one of the 11L Addis tubs.

This is the 2.5 year old female that I will not be breeding this year, she is about 1.3KG.

This is the 3.2KG female.

This is the 1.7KG female.

Then the male that have to do all the work. He is also about 2.5 years old and about 1.3KG.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby fredsmith » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 am

Stunning snakes! Absolutely in awe.
Makes a man very jealous... For your sake, I hope you got bars on your windows... He he he :twisted:
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:46 am

Thanx for those pics Mittone. No I haven't yet weighed the snakes, but I will do so ASAP.

If I had to guess, my male is slightly bigger than your 2.5 year old male and my female just bigger than that.

I put them together just to see if that would maybe calm her down. An hour after putting them together she calmed down and when I checked on them this morning their tales were entwined, although I didn't see and "pink".

Not sure if that's good or bad news. I will seperate them again over the weekend and see how they react.

BTW, that last snake of yours is a beauty!
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Mitton » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 am

Haha Fred, I'll have to make sure my security is working nicely. Thanks for the compliment.

That is really exciting Westley, definitely good news. I am sure they will mate at some stage if they did not during the night already, at least they are both interested. I would leave them together for a while longer to make sure they mate and then put the male with her again later on.

While I am posting pics, I thought I would also post another pair of Jungles I bought 3 months ago. They are still small and bite ALOT. I only wanted to buy the female but luckily my girlfriend offered to buy me the male as well.
Male:
Both:
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

PreviousNext

Return to Carpet pythons (Morelia spilota sp.)