Hydrodynastes gigas

Snakes exotic to South Africa with venoms that are not considered to be medically important.

View gallery

Hydrodynastes gigas

Postby Contortrix » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Here's a few pictures of my pair of Hydrodynastes gigas i picked up today. I have been searching for this species for over 10 years so it's an undescribable feeling of finaly getting a pair!

More pictures later when they have settled down in their new enclosure!

The female showing a little hood:

The male is cooling off in the tub:

Cheers, Ronny
Atheist.
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hydrodynastes gigas

Postby MissAvic » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm

Female is gorgious! Congrats on finally getting them. Enjoy every moment..
MissAvic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Cool snakes, like the female. Must be quite a nice feeling to finally have a pair after such a long wait.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:14 pm

They are pretty specimens you got there too. This species has one of the bests feeding responses I have ever seen in a snake! They are eating machines!
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:49 pm

With babies you can feed them every 4 or 5 days without any worries. They seem to suffer if they are fed "normally" as babies. Good luck with them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:02 am

Stunning!
Would love some of these one day...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Wow after a wait that long enjoy them :)
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:40 pm

Besides having an incredible feeding response, what are these guys like character wise?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:20 pm

I heard they can be quite aggresive but then I have heard of completly docile FWC's so it seems it varies from animal to animal
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby 10gbooj » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:35 pm

Awesome snakes. They are very inquisitive, if you come into the room they will follow you as if you are prey. Apparently they are highly venomous but lack an efficient delivery system. Is this correct?
10gbooj
SA Reptiles Member

Postby babyball » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Gorgeous!
I had one that was very calm and docile until it sensed food, that becomes a different situation. Mine was such an awesome snake and regret getting rid of it everyday. They are awesome to keep and are always waiting to be fed left over food from fussy eaters.

Keep well,
Brad
1.2.0 Ball Python (2x normal, 1x pastel)
1.1.0 Double Het. (Blue/Grey x Albino) Brown House Snakes
babyball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:35 pm

Yes 10gbooj I believe that is correct sice they are rear-fanged, still not much is known about the venom
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Copperbob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:56 pm

Hydrodynastes gigas are not highly venomous and their venom has been studied. Swelling, bruising and the usual physcosymatic effects e.g nausea, breathing difficulty, headache. I have witnessed two people having to pull these guys off and the only symptoms they experienced were headaches and a little bleeding.
I have also read that drop for drop the venom of Hydrodynastes gigas is comparable in strength to that of some crotalids, but I personally think it is nonsense. Stand to be corrected though.
Copperbob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby WW » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:17 am

Copperbob wrote:Hydrodynastes gigas are not highly venomous and their venom has been studied. Swelling, bruising and the usual physcosymatic effects e.g nausea, breathing difficulty, headache. I have witnessed two people having to pull these guys off and the only symptoms they experienced were headaches and a little bleeding.
I have also read that drop for drop the venom of Hydrodynastes gigas is comparable in strength to that of some crotalids, but I personally think it is nonsense. Stand to be corrected though.

Actually drop-for-drop, it is at about the same level as Crotalus atrox. Which actually means it's pretty weak - it's just that an atrox injects one hell of a lot more of those drops....

Mind you, a friend recently ended up in an emergency room with swelling past the elbow and swollen lymph nodes from a 20 second bite from a hatchling, so full, prolonged feeding bites by adults could potentially prove seriously unpleasant. As in most colubrids, most bites are trivial (I have been bitten twice by smallish FWCs without any effects whatsoever), but once in a while, someone could have a seriously unpleasant surprise.

Smart people make sure that someone else gets that surprise.

Cheers,

WW
patience n. the vice of accepting the unacceptable, thereby encouraging further occurrences
WW
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 am

WW wrote:
Smart people make sure that someone else gets that surprise.

Cheers,

WW

That is brilliant. Especially if you are researching venoms.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Exotic mildly venomous snakes