Thinking of throwing in the towel...

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Thinking of throwing in the towel...

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 am

I still remember my very first corn snake. He was a beauty, but he got out. And so I learned and got a new corn. That one did not last long either as it had feeding problems. Then I got a big male...

He was stunning even though his colours were dark and not really striking for a normal corn, but he was my normal corn and to me he was gorgeous. I named him Dragon, but my son later changed his name to Mot (Afrikaans for moth).

Then I got him a female.

She was also dull, but now I could breed and I was so excited. I named her Drakie (Afrikaans for Dragon). She was not docile from day one. She was just over 60cm. I was told she could breed at this length. Was not to clued up then. She was a hand full. Got her calmed down one day and thought Yay! The next day she bit me. The day after that she was docile again. And so marked our years together. The unpredictable one in my group. She was the one that I would say had pms.

And now she is gone. Found her dead this morning. I have had loses this year that have torn my heart out, but this sight broke me. She was fine yesterday and today she is gone. She ws one of my first breeding corns. She was well over the meter mark this year. I know it was the breeding too early that resulted in her short lifespan. I don't need to guess. This makes it even harder to take.

I want to throw the towel in and give up on herps all together, but it is my rock and my partner that is holding me back. He is my strength. I have none left. My posts may not be the best in the next couple of days. Please forgive me in advance. I know some will think morning for a snake is ridiculas. At this point I really don't care. I will morn my snake. I will morn for the loss of Drakie, a normal corn snake that would not have appealed to most. She appealed to my heart.

I will miss her very much.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Thinking of throwing in the towel...

Postby Antman » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:16 am

man i lost about 7 tarantulas this winter all worht about 5000 rand i lost a purple mangrove viper after 5 days i bought it and last friday i found my female corn dead as well i know how you feal dont give up hold on be strong its hard but its life good luck
Antman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Mourning the loss of an animal is by no means ridiculous... I think people would worry a bit if you didn't mourn the loss of a family pet.
Hang in there, it's hard, but you'll feel better in time.

Although you may feel helpless now, you can take what you've learned from the experience and apply it to future endevours.
Sterkte.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:15 pm

Ja, hang in there everyone has a few bad days now and then when things get too much.

Hou net aan met wat jy doen!
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks all.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:37 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel as I have also lost a few animals this year. My wife is not particularly interested in herps but even she was affected by it because death looks like death no matter what it is. Its ridiculous to think that mourning the death of a beloved animal is ridiculous. They become part of the family over time and its only natural to mourn over the loss. Be strong and chin up.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:46 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I have lost some animals aswell and felt the same. Thought of just giving up and selling all my herps. But you'll get through it and with support from us and your partner you will last long in this hobby.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Thanks. Keeping my chin up is all I can do. Any of my other snakes would not have made such an impact on me, but she was one of my first. Become part of the family. Her and her mate Mot.

Opened her up. Fat around the heart. Swollen heart. Same as the tia female that died. Changing the place were I bought food for them. Hoping it is not too late for the rest of my collection. The liver also did not look 100%, but I don't think that was the cause. There were eggs developing. Think that was the final strain on her.

Thanks for the support guys. It helps a lot.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:48 pm

Whatever you do just don't give up. If you do I am sure you will regret it later.

Hope all goes well!
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:09 pm

Sorry for your loss buddy, I know how you feel, I lost both my brown house snakes in a matter of 4 days I was sad for days!!
But they were old and that is the only reason that made it easier for me, realizing it was age.

I think 95% of the people on this site knows how you feel!

Good luck with that, and don't give up herping !!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby rolandslf » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 pm

@ LD - Hang in there, I am saddened by your loss. If we had to do a survey of snakes lost this year, we would find I believe an increase on the same period last year. I don't know why, but it is a fact we have to acknowledge. The other thing is that we tend to overly blame ourselves, I think that this year something strange is going on, I don't know what, so don't blame or criticise yourself too much.
Do not give up on your reptile passion, you will regret it forever if you do.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Don't know what is going on this year as well. Seems everyone has had more losses this year than any other. She was one of my favourates. Like I said - part of the family. Any other snake in my collection... I am now watching her male. If he goes...

Well on the up side (being slightly sarcastic here as I don't think it is a up side) sounds like someone in this area has given up on their corns, also had a lot of deaths this year, and I have been asked if I want them. Thinking about it, but I don't know. In two minds. This guy has kings and milks as well, but he is keeping them. I don't know. Say next year is worse than this year??... I have lost one that was close to my heart and I have lost others. Like I said two minds... If I decide no then I will post the details and let you guys know.

Thanks for the support. Thanks to you all. It is the reptile community that is the strongest. Even in the dark times. Thanks again.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:50 pm

You know me personally,and believe it or not the day my chameleon died was one of the worst in my life. She was my first and had a very special place in my heart. Mourning a death is 100% ok, especially if you are in it for the love of the hobby and not for financial gain.
We cant give up just like that, what will happen to the rest? Ja i will take your Taiwanese and the blood red but what about all the other? lol. Hang in there and good luck.

PS: And i actually saw her yesterday, she seemed fine.
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bjorn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels. I almost felt like giving up a few days but have invested to much into this hobby/life. Things will get better. Just think about how happy the herps make you daily. It's not like loosing a dog in my opinion but it is still very hard. After you have lost a dog you normally morn and get another, which brightenss things up. They can't truly be replaced.

I think I should also let go in this section.
Regards
Bjorn
Reptilia Traders cc
http://www.reptiliatraders.co.za
Bjorn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Corne - Thanks. If I gave up the tia and bloodred then they would diffinitly go to you. With the big cage included! Know they would have a good home. If I ever give them up...
You saw Mot yesterday. I bent down and felt one of Drakies coils to take her out as well, but from the way she pulled back I could feel that she would be nippy so I left her. Gotten to know when to take her out and when to leave her. Her mate Mot is the docile and laid back one.

Starting to feel better. Thanks guys for the posts. It has helped.

Let go Bjorn. Had a few good crys today. Everytime I read this I start again. It is helping though. That and a good bottle of red wine.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to RIP