Info on handling hots

This is for anything with regards to reptiles which is not species specific or over a broad band of reptiles. Be it husbandry, caging, etc. you can post it here.

Info on handling hots

Postby reinhard » Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:23 pm

I live far away from any place I can go for training on handling hots. Do any of you know where I can find good info on how to handle different hots. There are a lot of people usually having snake trouble here and everyone wants to kill them, especially cape cobras. My way of handling such snakes is a plastic pipe leading into a box. I'd like to upgrade my metods. One of my friends works for Nat con, so when he's far from town, he sometimes asks me to remove prob reptiles, that he can't get to. I need to know more. Is there a good site/book?
reinhard
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:11 pm

go to your local sangoma(witch docter) and get some potion made from snakes and baboon tail..you will then be immune to snake venom.

Don't quote me on that!

Glad to hear you wanna stop the killing...but i really don't think a book could teach you much.. thats just my point of view..especially handeling naja.

where are you from? maybe someone else on this forum is near by....just a thought
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:47 pm

I suppose 'capturing' would be more appropriate than 'handling' in your case. I don't know of all that much literature involving capturing or 'bagging' wild snakes. There is some info on BW Smith's 'Venomous snakes in Captivity' but there are some methods I've never seen in literature. The 'pipe' method you mentioned, if I think thats what you are talking about, is probably one of the safest, it may be easier to just tie a bag on the end of it instead of a box.
It all depends on the situation, how the snake is hidden and what snake it is.

Methods I know of are hooking, tailing, pinning, noosing, necking(noooo....pythons!), and the pipe method as mentioned.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:23 pm

get your self sum hook and grab stixs and a book on snake bite treatement and go live the experiance. cause no two people catch snakes on the same way. JUST REMeMBER BE CAREFULL and it will all go okay ;) ;-) ;)
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 am

There is nothing wrong with your way of capturing snakes. You are not putting yourself in danger and you are removing the snakes without injuring them.

You do not have to touch snakes in order to remove them.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby reinhard » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:12 pm

Thanx for all your replies. I also seriously want to expand my indiginous collection by adding Naja spp. as well as vipers and I don't really have to touch them (hide boxes with trap doors), but I'd still want to learn more and the pipe method has it's limitations. I think I'll just travel to the big city and have someone teach me.(and my wife, cause she's the one who'll have to treat me if I get bitten)
reinhard
SA Reptiles Member

Return to General Reptile Keeping