Bearded Dragon vs. Corn snake (HELP)

Bearded Dragon vs. Corn snake (HELP)

Postby Weylin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:51 pm

Im stuck between getting a Bearded Dragon or Corn Snake, can anyone recommend to me which would be a great starter point in having either of the two. I've read up that both are a good reptile to start with but duno which is better.
Im interested in having low maintenance (hear beardys can really stink a room out) and a pet which il be happy with to handle and others, i had rat snakes but they kept trying to bite me which is just not cool, so want a pet that will be friendly and awesome to have. Any suggestions what i can do?
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bearded Dragon vs. Corn snake (HELP)

Postby warbot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:00 pm

get sand boas, they don't stink, no mess don't get to big.
perfect starter or garter snakes very active but they will bite you not out of aggression, they think everything is food!

that's my feeling on this,

I don't like beardies or corns or rats for the same reason as you, they kept on biting me the buggers!!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Westley Price » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:01 pm

I suggest you get a Corn snake. The reason I say this is:

-Corn snakes require lees food and the food is easier to come by.

-Corn snakes do not require any special lighting, just a simple heat pad.

-Beardies can be difficult as youngsters whereas Corn snakes are easy to get started.

-If you go on holiday for a week, you can leave your snake home, but you need someone to look after the beardie.

That's my humble opinion.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Whitelipp » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Cool man welcome to the site. Well beardies can chow allot and crickets can be expensive. On the other hand a corn snake only eats one mouse a week so it will be the least in feeding and cleaning of the tank. If you are looking for low cost and work go for a corn snake.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Weylin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Thanks for the help!!
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:14 pm

Snakes like corns and other rat snakes are by far the better option to a lizzard as a starter reptile.
Purely from a maintenance side of things, they're so much easier and also on requirements wise too.
With snakes like these, there's no need for special lights (As Westley already stated) and you won't be hunting your town flat in search of bugs because mice are common place at just about any pet store.
My 2c
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Weylin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm

is a certain kind of breed corn snake better than others? my friend has an albino corn snake which is pretty cool, so dont wana get the same as him. so what would be the best kind to get?
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:22 pm

I would also have to say corn snakes as they are super hardy and don't require much from your side to stay happy. Also if you live in an area where it is warm most of the year you may not even require a heating pad.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:23 pm

A word of warning though... It never stops. :smt018
First you'll get one reptile... then two... Those two will need "friends", and before you know whats happened you've got a whole section of your home dedicated to reptiles.
Ps - Welcome to SA Reptiles. :-D
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:24 pm

Any colour morph of corn snake will do and I also forget to say Hi and Welcome to the site.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 pm

...yea soz, welcome :D
and fredsmith is right ! its an addiction!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby fredsmith » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:26 pm

Weylin wrote:is a certain kind of breed corn snake better than others? my friend has an albino corn snake which is pretty cool, so dont wana get the same as him. so what would be the best kind to get?

The one you think is the prettiest. They're esentially the same thing, just different colour variations of the same type of animal.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Weylin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:27 pm

hey thanks very much for everyones help, much appreciate it!!
Weylin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi there Weylin! Welcome to the forum! :-D

For us to answer that you have to ask yourself a few questions...

Questions:
1) Do you necessarily want a pet that will 'respond' to you?
2) Are you up to providing the correct care for the animal in question?
3) What are the 'limiting factors' for you?
4) What is your interest?

Answers:
1) If you want any return of affection from the animal in question - Beardie... the corn (any snake for that matter) will probably ignore you like a stop street... :roll:
2) Beardies need basking spots, UV lights and need feeding EVERY DAY, and not just bugs but veggies too. the UV lights need to be changed every few months to be effective, and that cost money, and the beardie will need natural sunlight as well to stay healthy. Oh, and the occasional bath. the corn snake can be kept quite happy with a heating pad, a hide box and food only once a week.
3) Time. Money. Interest. these are important to consider, every animal deserves a solid helping of each, but different animals may need them in different proportions... Beardies need more 'maintenance' time than corns, as they need daily food, cleaning, bathing, and handling. Maintenance time for a snake is less, as the cage needs to be cleaned usually only 1-2 times a week, and stripped down and properly scrubbed once every month. beardies can be handled more or less every day, If you handle a skittish snake too often you will stress it out... and both reptiles will need gentle, consistent human contact to keep them 'tame'. reptiles were never meant to be 'cuddle pets'...
4) Are you fascinated by snakes? or are they just a legless pet. can you get lost watching your beardie go about his day? or is it just a neat lizard. you must feel out for yourself what 'grabs' you. it would be a crying shame and a tragedy for both you and your chosen reptile if a month down the line you find yourself bored and uninterested in it. :smt022

I do call outs in PTA to remove snakes from houses and gardens, and there is NOTHING that makes me sadder and more angry than getting a call from a person saying I must come get their 'pet' snake 'cause they couldn't care less anymore...

Something you mention is that a beardie will stink out the place? so will the corn... it is up to YOU to see that it doesn't. if the cage is smelly, it means you don't clean it often/well enough.

You also say that your rat snakes tried to bite you? what species were they? some rat snakes come with bad attitudes... :twisted: corns and beardies are usually mellow, but it takes time, and the correct handling from you, so they learn to trust you and to 'tame' down, this can take a LONG time (I'm talking months to years here), if you get a badly handled, or skittish one. even though, there are always exceptions to the rule, and every now and then despite your best efforts you get a beardie or a corn that is the devil himself. get used to the idea... if you own a reptile... You. Will. Get. Bit. ! :)

Another thing you say is that '...a pet which il be happy with to handle and others...' how do you mean others? do you mean family members that will help look after it? or something that can be handled by visitors and friends? Both beardies and corns fit the bill... just please keep in mind that just because a beardie or a corn tolerate being handled, does NOT mean they LIKE it! reptiles get used to humans touching and picking them up, they don't like attention like cats and dogs do. If the handling by strangers is kept to a minimum, I dont see any problem. Just PLEASE make sure the person you hand the reptile too is comfortable and wont freak out and drop it! :shock:

Personally I go for the corn every time, but that is because I LOVE and ADORE snakes :smt007 ... I couldn't really be bothered with lizards ;)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:39 pm

PS... Sorry for the LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNG post :blush:

and search the Corn snake thread for the different colours... alternately ask Chantel on this forum, she has pretty much every morph out there and her snakes are AWSOME! :D

Personally I like the 'butters', 'normals', 'bloodreds', and 'coffee' I think? the coffee is the one that has only shades of brown right? or was it 'mocha'? whatever... they are all so PRETTY!

I say put up a dart board with all the colour morphs on it a chuck a dart! you cant go wrong!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Bearded dragons (Pogona vitticeps)