Breeding Roaches

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Breeding Roaches

Postby jigglypuff » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 am

Hey Everyone!

Hope you all are well.

I am a new beardy enthusist and i am very interested in breeding roaches.
At the moment i have to buy the for her at R20 for 20 roaches. (A Little Extreme)
As she eats them like crazy. Loves her mealworms too.

Does anybody have some advice for me on how to get started with this roach project?

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks a ton everyone.

Cheers. :D

Moved
It is said that when darkness falls all the beasts and ghouls come out to play.........i've only found my corns coming out to play.....
jigglypuff
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Breeding Roaches

Postby Fooble » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:26 am

It All depends on which roaches you are wanting to breed,
You Could breed Lobster Roaches, Dubia , Hizzers ect.
Find out which you an get a hold of and go from there.

There are several advantages and disadvantages to each roach as some climb and fly some cant climb up sides of cages or fly and some Hiss of course.
For example Dubia roaches grow very slowly but get bigger then say lobster roaches which breed and grow allot faster.

Ideally which ever roaches you want to start with you need a decent quantity and need to "leave" the colony to establish and breed itself before you start taking feeder animals out the "colony"

Hope that gave you some idea.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby day gecko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:24 am

Hi
I do have a colony of forest roaches that I want to sell.There are more that 700 roaches in the colony and they are breeding very well.Selling price is R500.00 for the colony.
day gecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:17 am

Hi, listen, all you have to do is find out what roaches you can buy make sure you have males and females and not just males, collect egg crates, get yourself a 85 l container, if the type of roach is a climber use vasaline and smear it all around the container(inside) the get yourself a heatpad and slap it on the side of the container, so you have your container with a heating pad on the side, then the egg crates to increase your capacity (more walk space), then a self feeding water container with cotton wool to make sure they don't drown,waterbowl and feeding dish is on the oppesite side of the heating pad, a cat bowl filled with dog food, milk powder and once a week bearded dragon pellets (top pet or t - rex brand).

Don't put the container outside, keep it indoors, heat plays a very important role in the productivity.

Then leave them :smt014 and only open the container once a week
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby diesel » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:08 am

hi
what tipe off substrate?wont the heating pad melt the plastic container?how do you see the difrence between males and females?whitch roach will be the best to breed,dont want hissing,climbing or flying roaches?where in pta can i find roaches i ha only seen them selling individual roaches for R20.00 each?
a lot off questions but would like to start breeding them as my beardie eats me out off my house on crix.
thank you.
diesel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:43 am

diesel wrote:dont want hissing,climbing or flying roaches?

Then you may as well stick to crickets.
get Dubia roaches those are the ones that wont climb/hiss/fly but they grow very slowly so its only viable if you have a huge colony.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Scavenger » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:11 pm

I breed the dubias, lobsters and hissers and find that the easiest and quickest ones to breed are the lobsters they are a good staple for many lizard species. As fooble has pointed out dubias are a good option but grow way to slowly and may be hard to produce at large numbers. As for the substrate I suggest you don't have any at all as it will be easier to clean. Hope that helps :)
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Sustrate to use in your roaches container is (nothing), better to clean and easier to catch your roaches, male hissings have bumps(horn like) on their heads and females don't the adults is'nt escape artists but the baby's is born escapees, dubia males have wings and females don't they are great to breed with and lobsters we'll let's just say I'm still trying to figger that one out myself. :oops: but they breed like crazy and that you should use a broken freezer for them co'z they can escape out of anything.
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby diesel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:13 am

thx for the advice it helped a lott.
diesel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby diesel » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:19 pm

one more thing do i have to put some sort off substrate with them to lay the eggs in or is this not neccesary.
than you.
diesel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scavenger » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:30 pm

Roaches give birth to live young, so no substrate is needed (as said before ;) ) just makes it more of a hassle to clean as well. Just make sure you have vaseline or any oil based product on the edge of the container and a few egg crates in the container for them to hide in.
Knowledge talks, wisdom listens
Scavenger
SA Reptiles Member

Postby diesel » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:38 am

thanks scavenger the advice is much appreciated.
diesel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mordeth » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Urucone what do you mean with a self feeding water container with cotton wool? Are you talking about those you get for cats and dog or the thing you get for mice and rats? I have dubia's and I am struggling with water for them, this sounds easy and interesting.

Thanks
Mordeth
SA Reptiles Member

Postby day gecko » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:22 am

Feed them veggies( pumpkin) they will get the moisture they need. Just make sure that the pumpkin doesn't get mold,that will kill the colony.
day gecko
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:46 pm

What I mean with self feeding waterbowls is, You get a bait feeder for rats that they throw a poisen inside (in fluid form)
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile cuisine