Armidillo Girdled lizard ( Cordylus cataphractus )

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Armidillo Girdled lizard ( Cordylus cataphractus )

Postby Cordylus3 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi all
Wanted to ask for help on something I am working on. We started keeping and later breeding C. cataphractus 15 years ago.
I joined the C. cataphractus studbook ( E.S.F )and made it to co-manager of this species. Every year I photograph, weigh and measure each of my animals to collect data and find out which female has given birth and to determine the sex for sure. Thats where I found out that the throat markings of each individual is unique also asked other members of the studbook to check there animals on this and it stil works. This could be a great way to identify each animal by photograph (about the same way as is commenly done with turtles) since they are to small to chip.

Enquiery on this phenomenon (by students doing studies on cataphractus in S.A) taught me that within wild colonies there seem to be some similarities in throat markings. Interesting field work? Sadly not for me, living some distance from your country.

The species still under threat by illegal pet trade and habitat loss and can surely be in the future forbidden for anyone to keep, but if there was a means of identification and thus exclude species of foggy origin, the species could be saved for serious breeders.

Regretably C. cataphractus is so rarely found outside S.A that I have to little material to confirm my theory sooooooo.
If any one could supply me with good photographs of the throat region of individual animals I would be very happy.

The general idea is somthing like this http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/thumbnails-248.html
Please note: I do NOT want any one to encourage any illegal activities since I do not know laws on photgraphing/handling wild animals in your country.

There also seem to be major differences in northern and southern populations. For example my animals are more darker of colour and more heavy armoured. There seem as most pictures I see the animals are more of a yellowish color. I would love to investigate this further but that is another topic I belive. Sorry for the amount of words I just dont want to bore you guys but I love these animals and discussing them.

greets Rene.
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Armidillo Girdled lizard ( Cordylus cataphractus )

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Its an interesting observation Cordylus.
Im sorry I cant help with any substantiated assistance. There are members here who live in areas cataphractus occur so maybe they could comment.
Anyone?
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:31 am

Hi Cordylus3

I will be able to supply you photos of 10 individuals. just give me chance to photograph them.

regards
gino
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby gino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:33 pm

gino

Postby gino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:34 pm

sorry for cell phone quality pics
gino

Postby Cordylus3 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:04 pm

Hy Gino
Thanks for the pics !!! Greate.
Dont worry about the quality, at least you have taken the effort to help.
And its good enough to see that my theorie still holds, have collected about 40 pics now from different animals and all are unique in there marking. The importans of qualyty of the pics howerefer increases as we get more and more pics so the differences can be harder to see.
There also seem to be some simularities in the throat pattern of your population as so in mine (interresting)
fantastic looking animal by the way!!! looks just like one of mine, most likely that the original animals came from the same region.

Again thanks!!
Rene
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aluston » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:53 am

Gino
Are you keeping them on the sand?
I had moved my group of C. tropidosternum to the new setup (with a sand) for a two weeks ago. But I want to get them back onto "coco-bark", cause lizards appears seedy with a dried skin. Is C. cataphractus more stable to the lack of humidity?
And what are you prefer for UV, 2.0+10.0 or 2.0+5.0?
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 am

Hi

Yes im keeping them on sand now. I had them on gravel but they were swallowing some of it and i was told by someone else who has experience in breeding them in captivity that i should try sand. I also had them on carpet before, just when i got them and they have also lived happily on a coco bark mix.
I will be changing this sand to a "play pen" sand type this weekend as i have noticed after 2 weeks that they look "dry" from this type of sand.
My cages are not humid at all.
I mist the lizards in the morning and spray water on a rock for them to drink.
I use UVB10.0 with a HOT basking spot on the one side.
The hiding place is a piece of slate with rocks glued to the bottom to keep it off the ground. They all live together and it is a colony that always lived together.
In the summer they live outside in a wired cage with coco bark/sand mix. They prefer being outside in the sun(with a basking lamp as well), i take them in when it rains too much and when its cold.
If i can find my camera then ill take better pics of all 10 of them.

Regards
gino

Postby Aluston » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks, Gino!
If I give them piece of bark or slate then I will not see they never! I put them outside every morning else they will hiding along the day.
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:10 am

Pleasure :)
Mine hides from about 6pm to 6am in the morning, as soon as the sun comes out/the lights go on then they come out to bask. I have noticed that they also hide when they havent had water for a day or so, probably staying away from the heat?
gino

Postby Aluston » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:12 am

I fill the bowl when it comes dry (usually at morning). So, maybe I have to move the bowl to a cold side of the setup?
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cordylus3 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:40 pm

Have some remarks to
I noticed in the past that they take up some sediments out off the sand since then i have put in a small bowl with minerals
(used in the aviary hobby) they visit it on regular basis now and take some minerals out of it (to small to identify wich).
On the watering, we spray them once a week with a vitamin calcium supplement mixed in water.
The rest off the week no water is provided on the watering day no food is provided to make sure that all the animals come out and drink.
Feeding, each animal gets one cricked daily no other food is provided. we breed the crickets our selfs and bevore feeding we remove the legs to make sure they do not escape and loose there nutricianel falueu.
sorry about the poor english
greets Rene

sediment opname061217a.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cordylus3
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:31 am

Thank you for that info! Very interesting, im clearly giving mine too much water, however, they drink every time i offer to them.
gino

Postby Aluston » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:12 pm

I had never seen them drinking.
Vivere militare est
Aluston
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gino » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:07 pm

Have you tried misting the sides of the cage? Mine runs over to the glass when i mist it and licks the water off.
gino

Next

Return to Indigenous lizards