Exotic cobras in SA

Exotic cobras in SA

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:49 am

Hey ppl I am wondering if we can get these snakes in SA, and if it is legal, cause we cannot hav indigenous ones without a permit, and since getting a permit is SOOOOOOOO easy, I thought I could mabay get myself exotic Naja they are in anyway more beatifull and would propibly make better display animals. - Any one who mabay know where to get these :?: have experience in exotic naja :?: hav contact details of breeders :?: or can give me any Info on this subject PLZ do :?:
GRATELY APRECIATED
REGARDS
If there are breeders or keepers of these species plz let me know as I would firstly like to see sum setups and do some more homework
THANX
GO U WELL
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nols » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:06 pm

Hi...
I have a bit of info on Cobras for you.
Overview:
Cobra is the common name for members of the family of venomous snakes, Elapidae, known for their intimidating looks and deadly bite. Cobras are recognized by the hoods that they flare when angry or disturbed; the hoods are created by the extension of the ribs behind the cobras' heads. These reptiles are found throughout the Philippines, southern Asia, and Africa. The king cobra is the world's longest venomous snake. The king cobra, or hamadryad, holds the record length of 24 ft. for a venomous snake! The king cobra is unique among snakes in that it makes a nest for its eggs, scraping up leaves and other debris in which to deposit them, and remains in the nest until the young hatch. It averages 3.7 m (12 ft) in length but is known to grow to 5.5 m (18 ft). It is a thin snake, olive or brown in color, with bronze eyes. It is found in the Philippines, Malaysia, southern China, Burma, and the Malay Peninsula. The other cobra of Asia is known variously as the common, Asian, Indian, or spectacled cobra (due to the eyeglass-shaped pattern on its skin). It seldom reaches a length of more than 1.8 m (6 ft). The hood of the Asian cobra is, proportionately, much larger than that of the king cobra and is usually yellow to brown, with a black-and-white spectacle pattern on top and two black and white spots on the lower surface. This snake causes thousands of deaths each year in India, where it is regarded with religious awe and are seldom killed. It ranges from the eastern shore of the Caspian Sea to China and Malaysia. Most cobras are natives of Africa. Among them is the spitting, or black-necked cobra, found from southern Egypt to northern South Africa. This snake can spray its venom from a distance of about 2.4 (about 8 ft) accurately. Varieties of the spitting cobra range in color from dull black to pink, the lighter-colored ones marked by a black band around the neck. The ringhals, a different type of spitting cobra confined to southern Africa, is the smallest of the cobras, reaching only about 1.2 m (about 4 ft) in length. It is dark brown or black with ridged, or keeled, scales and light rings on the neck. The asp, or Egyptian cobra is widely distributed throughout Africa, being the most common. Contrary to folklore, cobras will seldom attack unprovoked. When threatened, however, the Cobra will make full use of its deadly force. Cobras are famous for their use by snake charmers because they respond well to visual cues, and are of spectacular.

Venom:
Among snakes, cobras and coral snakes may be singled out as having a particularly neurotoxic venom; among other animals, the venom of arachnids also falls into the neurotoxic category. The spitting cobra can spray its venom from a distance of about 2.4 (about 8 ft) into the eyes of its victims, causing temporary blindness and great pain. Venom coming in contact with human eyes causes an immediate and severe irritation of the conjunctiva and cornea that, if untreated, may result in permanent blindness. The venom of cobras, a neurotoxin, acts powerfully on the nervous system. With effective serum more available, however, the high death rate from cobra bites in some areas of Asia has decreased. Cobra venom has been used for many years in medical research because it has an enzyme, lecithinase, that dissolves cell walls as well as membranes surrounding viruses.

A common misconception is that baby snake are deadlier than adults. While not proven scientifically, it would seem that an adult cobra can control the the amount of venom delivered, if any, with each bite, depending on the threat it feels. A baby snake has no control over the amount of venom delivered by its bite, thus always giving a full dose. A baby cobra is fully able to defend itself in as little as three hours after entering the world. Cobras are completely immune to the venom produced by their species.

Venom: poison of animal origin, usually restricted to poisons that are administered by biting or stinging and used to capture—and, sometimes, aid in digesting—prey, or for defense. Thus the poisons secreted by the skin of some toads, or accumulated in the bodies of numerous inedible animals, are ordinarily not considered venoms. The most familiar venomous animals are certain snakes and insects and the spiders and other arachnids. Venomous species occur throughout the animal kingdom, however, including the mammals. Some shrews, for example, have venomous saliva, and the platypus bears poison spurs on its hind legs. The severity of a venom's effects depends on several factors, such as its chemical nature, the stinging or biting mechanism involved, the amount of venom delivered, and the size and condition of the victim. For example, all spiders are venomous, but the venoms of most are too weak or minute in quantity to have noticeable effects on humans; in addition, many spiders cannot even puncture human skin. Thus, few of them are poisonous to humans, but their venoms are quite effective on insect prey. Chemically, venoms vary greatly across the animal kingdom and are not readily defined. Snake venoms, for example, are complex mixtures of enzymatic proteins and different toxins. In terms of their effects, however, they may be broadly categorized as hemotoxic (damaging blood vessels and causing hemorrhage) or neurotoxic (paralyzing nerve centers that control respiration and heart action); they may also contain agents that promote or prevent blood clotting. Sometimes a combination of these effects is involved, however, and variations may occur within genera or even within species. The effects of insect stings are usually the result of histamines that produce local irritation and swelling. Serums against various venoms can be produced by injecting animals such as horses with sublethal doses and extracting the immune serum, or antivenin, that the animal body produces. Venoms themselves have occasional medicinal uses; for example, some are used as painkillers in cases of arthritis or cancer, and some serve as coagulants for people with hemophilia.

Note the distinction between venomous and poisonous: venomous refers to a creature that has the ability to secrete or utilize it's venom externally, while poisonous includes creatures that contain a poison substance. Often poisonous creatures are harmless unless eaten. Venomous creatures can often use their poison as a weapon. Cobras are all venomous, yet most are not poisonous, so long as the venom glands are not eaten.

VENOM STRENGTH COMPARRISON
NAME OF SNAKE

QUANTITY VENOM DELIVERED
*LETHAL HUMAN DOSE

VARIOUS COBRAS

150-350 mg

*18-45 mg
VARIOUS SEA SNAKES

1-15 mg

*2-4mg
INDIAN KRAIT

8-20 mg

*3 mg
EASTERN CORAL SNAKE

3-5 mg

*4 mg
TIGER SNAKE

35-65 mg

*3 mg
AUSTRALIAN BROWN SNAKE

5-10 mg

*3 mg
MAMBAS

6-100 mg

*12-15 mg
PUFF ADDER

160-200 mg

*95 mg
GABOON VIPER

450-600 mg

*180? mg
AMERICAN COPPERHEAD

40-70 mg

*100 mg
COTTONMOUTH MOCCASIN

100-150 mg

*125 mg
RATTLESNAKES

EASTERN DIAMONDBACK

400-700 mg

*100 mg
WESTERN DIAMONDBACK

200-300 mg

*100 mg
TIMBER

100-150 mg

*75 mg
MOJAVE

50-90 mg

*15 mg
BUSHMASTER

200-400 mg

*150 mg
No Turbo no Gas, just kicken a$$........
nols
SA Reptiles Member

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Thankyou very much for the info
you dont maby know of sum breeders :?:

GO U WELL
GRATEFULL
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BWSmith » Mon May 01, 2006 4:47 pm

You could have just given him the link you copied and pasted all that from

http://www.cobras.org/cob_1.htm
BWSmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue May 02, 2006 8:19 am

LOL BW I think it looks more impressive as a 9 page essay. hee hee
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby elapid » Sat May 06, 2006 2:28 pm

Hey goof.

Do you think your ready to take on a cobra as a captive? Especially a Exotic cobra? From what I have seen and alot of people have told me, Asian cobras are alot more aggresive than their Africa counterparts.

Another thing to think about, what would happen in the event of you getting taged buy an Asian cobra? Anti-venom is hard to come by and the chances of you finding some in time is slim to none.

How old are you? 17? 18 max? I'm not trying to be ugly but I dont think you have enough experiance yet. Possibly try get hold of someone in your area keeping Elapids and ask him/her if you can help out.
Also do a snake handling course if you havent done one already. (Bushviper holds a good course, and I strongly recommend it.)

Anyway, hope this bit of info helps abit.

Cheers
You become responsible forever for what you have tamed.
elapid
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Natal Black » Sat May 06, 2006 4:12 pm

Hey goof!

I think you should get a pair of king cobras!
Natal Black
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Sun May 07, 2006 2:15 pm

Do you think your ready to take on a cobra as a captive? From what I have seen and alot of people have told me, Asian cobras are alot more aggresive than their Africa counterparts.

How old are you? 17? 18 max?

I second that, but i am no-one to judge... maybe a false water cobra would be a good idea???
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby zero5000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:39 pm

lmao@BW.... Goof101... if you weren't successful, though i am sure in this time that has passed, you probably have found some breeders, pm me and i can maybe help you out. BTW, exotic and local cobras are accessable, it is likely that you would have no problem keeping exotic cobras, and would more than likely need a permit for any native species of cobra.
zero5000
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Cobras (Naja sp.)