brown house snake

Re: brown house snake

Postby Groenslang » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:01 am

Speaking of olive house snakes, is anyuone currently breeding them?
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby herpitologica » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:54 pm

I just find olives slightly tougher when it comes to feeding,bhs i have never had a problem with....few nice morphs out now and surely more to come.For a first time snake defo a bhs.
herpitologica
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 pm

agreed!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby lowflyingdaisy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:07 pm

Guys, my hatchling corn died on xmas night and I'm keen to replace with a house snake. Ideally I'd love an olive, but will 'settle' for a bhs also. I'm in CT, so BB could we chat abt yr friend who is breeding? Btw, Natcon offices are not hard to find, lol! Contact me directly if any first timers need directions. :)
lowflyingdaisy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lamprophis » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Guys, I have a BHS, female 84cm. I must say it is a beautiful snake with an oh so sweet temperament. First shed with me - no problem. First feed with me - likewise.

But off the l.capensis, l.inornatus and l.aurora topic slightly; I was intending getting a Moley or Skaapie as next (second) snake, but a lot of guys advised me against the Moley - claiming that it is too aggressive. I know Skaapies are venomous but that their venom does not really have any significant effect on humans apart from a bit of swelling. Moleys can cause painful bites and sepsis according to one herper I spoke to and might even need stitches if it is a big specimen that bites. If it is neither Skaapie nor Moley, what endemic species outside of Lamprophis species would you recommend. I do not have a lot of experience with snakes yet and def. and obviously want to stay off anything even remotely hot until 1) I have done the handling course, 2) Had at least 5 years experience with relatively harmless and mildly venomous snakes and 3) Built adequate enclosures for housing hots.
Lamprophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:03 pm

You get mole snakes that are really "tame", try and find a breeder and get a juvie thats feeding on rodents.

I had a big male that was really placid we used him with kids for educational purposes.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Lamprophis » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:16 pm

Cool . Thanx for that jka! Will keep my ears peeled for a Moley. My next snake, after the Moley would definately be a Spotted Skaapsteker. Love them to bits. Does anyone know of someone who sells?

BTW: Met an idiot over the weekend who reckoned BHS are difficult feeders. Can you imagine. Fed mine again yesterday - one mouse was not enough - she had to have seconds. The first one she grabbed with one helluva strike and "constricted" it as well, although the mouse was dead, frozen and defrosted already. The second mouse was taken a bit slower, but after the second mouse, she was still prowling the cage!
Lamprophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Lamprophis where are you from?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to Brown house snakes (Lamprophis (Boaedon) capensis)