Perseverance pays off :)

Perseverance pays off :)

Postby RAGE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:15 pm

As a few of the members are aware, after seeing the size of majority of the boas being bred. I decided to take on a project to breed some BIG bloodline boas. The plan was to breed my big male(a confiscated wild caught baby when I bought him many years ago) to a suitable big female that I acquired from a friend a few years back. Years of work went into this breeding project, conditioning both of them for this day. I caught them several times in the act, but couldnt see if she accepted. On the 6th June I caught them and had a clear view. I didnt get my hopes up as it was there first breeding. And his age was a concern to me. But it was all worth it. I awoke this morning to that not to pleasant smell all boa breeders know all to well. And 1/3 of the tank floor was covered in babies. :) 34 alive 2 slugs and one that didnt get out of its sac and must of drowned during the night. These babies are already big, I think I have achieved what I set out to do. :) I was hoping for less babies larger than average, rather than say 50-60 small babies.

Not too bad for there first time. All 34 babies are very healthy and active! Im so freaking happy. Will snap some pics up and see if I still remember how to load. Lol
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Perseverance pays off :)

Postby Bernice » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

WOW! Sounds like you have a LOT of mouths to feed!

Well done!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Yea Congratulations! Can’t wait to see the pics, how big is the parents, some pics of them with some measurements would be nice.
Very happy for you!
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby hunter1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Awesome stuff, please can we see pics of the parents?
hunter1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Congrats, it seems like today is Boa Birthing Day.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jhbhc » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Awesome man pls will u post some pics? Would like to purchase some of the babies if possible
jhbhc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 am

Uber Congrats to you buddy, I hope that you are prepared for 30+ hungry mouths.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:32 pm

Congrats. That's a nice big healthy clutch. Not bad for a first time!! We'll be waiting for those pics ;)
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby RAGE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:10 am

Hi guys and gals. First off, apologies for taking so long. I have been moving and setting up home so things are a "little" hectic at the moment. Thank you for your patience. I got my father to snap a few pics for me this weekend while I was feeding. Sorry for all the resizing issues, I dont have a program on mac to work with photos. I have pics of the morning I found them but I can not for the life of me, find the cords for my camera. And I do apologize for the type of pics if you guys and gals were looking for different ones. Hopefully I will find my cord and will be able to post the pics I wanted to. While we had them out, I put a tape measure set at 2.5m and they both, with a few bends were touching ends. So hopefully that gives you an idea to the parents size. I will weigh them when I have got them back into there out of season shape :)

This is to give you an idea of the males length, he is a very slender Boa, and has never really fills out. Just keeps getting longer.

A pic of the two together beginning to go into the blue.

Next are a few pics of a few of the babies. A real mix of colors and patterns.

Hope that gives you an idea of how the clutch varies.

A for sale ad will be going up today.

Hope everybody enjoyed. Have a great day :)
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RAGE » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:30 am

Ahh, cell phone pics will also work. Lol

In the act a long time ago.

And the best mess anyone can wake up to :) :) :) :) Oh and just to correct a comment I made in my first post. There were more than 34 :) I counted wrong in all my excitement.

Sorry for the c##y cell pics in this post.
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:38 am

Yikes! that's a LOT of babies!

hee hee! cute though! once they get all cleaned up and start getting attitude... :)
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 am

Congrats :D .Love the big boas and beautiful babies
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:24 am

Congrats!! That is quite a lot of babies and man are the parents big haha. Really nice!
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 am

How did you clean the cage out?! It looks like it was wet to the seams with er.... baby-boa-birthing-stuff... Your adults are stunning! And 34+ babies is a good count by any standards!
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RAGE » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Haha, thanks for all the comments. These guys are remarkably calm and out of the whole batch so far only two are snappy :) They are eating like machines. $$$$$$$ Lol.

@Groenslang: LOL; it was a rather large ....ummmm..puddle at the end. I dumped A HELL OF A LOT of newspaper on top, and left it for a while. When I came back I rolled it VERY CAREFULLY ;) and folded the edges in and into a large bucket. The smell was terrible. I line all my tanks with the plastic they use for Bakki's so no damage done to the tank. There was quite a few litres.

@SABOAMAN: See you soon . The little ones are waiting for you to take your pick :)
LIFES A .........
RAGE
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Redtail boas (Boa constrictor sp.)