Help!

Re: Help!

Postby Chantel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:02 pm

From the pics, I'd say that's a Kisatchie (Pantherophis slowinskii). It doesn't look like an Anery to me (the term "Silver" should be banned, lol- It's very misleading anyway). Some of them are darker, and some have more browns in them. In my opinion, they are beautiful snakes.

If I get a chance, I'll take some pics of my Kastchies, but in the meantime, here are some pics from Don's site (South Mountain Reptiles):

Quote: "These have recently been described as a new species. They were formerly considered intergrades between corns and Emory's (great plains) rat snakes. They are still popularly considered to be a corn snake. Kisatchies are primarily found in Louisiana and extreme E. Texas. These are one of the darkest examples of the corn snake types. Most of ours exhibit "metallic" colors"
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks Chantel, your always helpful! :D
So is it a good idea to bread him with my normal female? and/or my amel?
that's amazing I never knew this! Is this Kisatschie of mine going to become as big as a pure-bread corn, and are there any major differences like life-span, teamprament etc.
(OMW I sound like a newbie to corns all-of-the-sudden!)
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:05 pm

My normal and amel being pure-bread corns.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:12 am

If I were you, I'd rather breed it to another Kisatchie, that way you'll avoid hybridising your pure corns - unless you want to go they hybrid way. If you do breed it to your corns, you'll need to make it clear when you sell them that a Kisastchie is one of the parents so that they understand that they are not purchasing pure corns. A lot of people don't like the idea of having a hybrid, but others don't mind. Creamsicles after all, are also hybrids and many will admit, they are beautiful.

But there are not many differences between them and the corns - in fact, when they were first discovered, for many years they were thought to be pure locality corns. If anything, they get a bit bulkier, and I should imagine their life span is much the same as pure corns. Only recently were they given their own name and species.
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks, can u advise a place i can get them?
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:58 pm

How you picked up on that I would never know Chantel. Took me going overy the pics a few times then enlarging before I could actually see the head properly. At first galnce the head is corn. The 'cheek bones' etc are corn. But the nose is slightly flattened. I would never have spotted that lol
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:15 pm

yes, Chantel is a supernaturally awesome being.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:17 pm

LOL! The reason I know is because I've got Kisatchies (from SMR), and there's no mistaking them once you see them in person.

I've got some eggs that are due to hatch shortly, so if you do want, just let me know.
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 pm

NO, u is a supernaturally awesome being!
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Chantel » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Aw ... thank you! ;-)
Gavin & Chantel
Chantel
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:20 pm

Pleasure!
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi, how does one distinguish between an Anery and Kisatchie? - I have an anery that's pretty dark (I'm pretty sure it is an anery as I bought it from a reputable breeder), but i just cannot spot the difference... even though I googled for photo's to see if I can spot it - the difference seems easier to spot as they get older (it seems the Anery's become lighter, while the Kisatchie's stay dark, but what if it's hatchlings?

Here's my corn
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/alb ... medusa.jpg
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Sat May 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Pieter89 wrote:Hi, how does one distinguish between an Anery and Kisatchie? - I have an anery that's pretty dark (I'm pretty sure it is an anery as I bought it from a reputable breeder), but i just cannot spot the difference... even though I googled for photo's to see if I can spot it - the difference seems easier to spot as they get older (it seems the Anery's become lighter, while the Kisatchie's stay dark, but what if it's hatchlings?

Here's my corn
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/alb ... medusa.jpg

IMHO probably corn snake. BTW kisatchies aren't technically corn snakes.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Sat May 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes, I know they aren't corn snakes and I know mine's probably a corn, but for interest sake - is there some interesting way of distinguishing between the two?
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Corn snakes (Pantherophis (Elaphe) guttata)