Mites...

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Mites...

Postby Sico » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:50 pm

I'm sorry to bring up an old topic, but i am about at my wits end.
I have a large burm, and he keeps getting mite infections every 2-3 months. I have tried literally everything i can think of, from olive oil, to mite-off, to light wiping down with frontline, spraying the cage with frontline, spraying the cage with mite-off, putting Vapona strips in the cage (for up to three weeks at a time, yes without the snake in it) to aggresively steam cleaning the whole cage. When i spray the stuff in i am not shy with it, and usually do two to three "sterilisations" about 5 days apart before i put the snake back in. Everything works, for a short while but then the mites are back. The cage is big, made of pine, and is simply furnished, with one large branch, newspaper substrate, a large upturned cardboard box (changed regularly) and a tub of water. I cannot get rid of these things! With the frequent amounts of time i spend away from home on contracts, it is getting more and more difficult for my wife to handle the snake (2.8m) and she isnt really confident in dealing with illnesses etc.
Right next door to this snake, is another cage with my Tai ratsnake in it, which has not had a single mite (that i have noticed, anyway, although when i de-mite the python i do its cage as a precaution as well). Does anyone have any advice i can try that might have a more permanent effect? There are never huge amounts of mites but you can see them crawling over the snake if you shine a torch on him.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Mites...

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Sico the reason why the mites come back must be eliminated. Putting Karbadust around the cage is a good idea to stop re-infestations. The cage can be close up, heated and sprayed because the mites hatch in warm humid surroundings. Brand new vapona in the sealed cage has o kill off all the baby mites.

Soak the snake in water so that it is not dehydrated. Dry it off and spray it with Frontline all over the body and wipe down the face and chin with a frontline soaked cloth. Leave the snake without water and just in a bag or clean cage for 24 hours. The frontline then gets absorbed and lies just under the skin where this will kill the mites that suck on it next time.

Be careful that you are not bringing mites from visiting other collections or allowing others to visit who also have mites in their collections.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Sico » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks BV, there is no chance of mites coming in from another collection, as i dont have any guests that keep their own reptiles (i'm never home long enough to entertain ;-) )and all the food items are FT, no live stuff from petshops etc. It just beats me how they keep returning when i am trying so aggressively to fight them, and only on the Burm...
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Sico, what worked really well for me was a combination of poisons.

Firstly, soak the snake in water as BV said. I bought some mite spray for birds, it's a lot cheaper than frontline and I used that to clean the WHOLE cage with. Pay special attention to corners, make sure you spray the roof as well. Spray it all over the cgae & wipe down with a cloth. Leave the cage to air.

Then take Karbadust and sprinkle it on the floor of the cage. Please quite a number of sheets of newspaper over this. You can also sprinkle Karbadust around the cage if you wish. DO NOT put any water back in the cage, or any other cage decorations.

Once the cage is ready, spray the snake lightly with Frontline. Then take a cloth and just rub him down. Remember to spray top & bottom of the snake. Put him back in the cage. You can put the water bowl in after 36 - 48 hours. Remember to wash the water bowl with soap and water. Any other decorations should also be washed and left in the sun to bake.

Hang Vapona outside the cage.

Repeat the process after 2 weeks. Then wait an additional 2 weeks before you put back any cage decorations.

Good luck, hope this helps.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Return to Reptile Hospital