Crested Gecko Diet MRP

Crested Gecko Diet MRP

Postby balls'n all » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi guys,

I'm curious to see what you guys feed your rhacodactylus geckos. Reason being is because I've been doing a lot of research and I find that most people feed the crested gecko diet MRP either from T-Rex or Repashy exclusively. They don't use baby food at all and sometimes, as treats, feed crickets etc...

I'm at the moment using baby food and adding the CRD MRP to it whilst also adding Calcium+D3 powder.

Do you guys think that the baby food is necessary or do you think it's fine to use the CRD MRP exclusively as their staple?
http://www.iherp.com/brandon.btreptiles

"True Happiness is a room full of well fed Chondro's"
balls'n all
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: Crested Gecko Diet MRP

Postby Networkpets » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:15 pm

Do you guys think that the baby food is necessary or do you think it's fine to use the CRD MRP exclusively as their staple?

We feed our cresteds repashy crested gecko diet exclusivly. Baby food should be avoided if possible.
[url]http://www.networkpets.net[/url]
Networkpets
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:42 am

I spoke to someone who has just bred 120 Crested geckos this season and he alternates various diets every day and never feeds the same food for two days in a row. This includes all the commercial diets as well as baby food and crickets and cockroaches. Variety seems to be what keeps these geckos going. The live food is what stimulates them to exercise or else they become lazy.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Networkpets » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Sorry about the previous post, I was in a rush. Just feel I should elaborate a little.

Allen Repashy has the largest captive collection of crested geckos in the world. All his geckos are fed CGD exclusivly. No crickets and definantly no baby food. According to him and many other fellow hobbiest his gecko's look amazing. His diet was developed becuase of the difficulties he had with feeding baby food. Many feel it's like playing a nutritional guessing game. I have done extensive reading on the web regarding baby food. The conclusion that I have come to is rather to avoid baby food all togethor. The commercial mixes available today have been engineered specifically for crested geckos. It gives them exactly what they need in the right quantities. What has baby food been engineered for? For babies.

A few points I have noticed since switching over to a comercial diet:

-The initial change over is rather difficult, the commercial diets seem to lack the sugar content in baby food which the gecko's really enjoy.

-Since he started eating the commercial diet he started eating allot less. To the point where I got rather worried. Surprisingly enough when I weighed him he doubled in weight.

-He started using his prehensile tail allot more frequently.

-Defecation became allot more frequent.

-He became allot more active durning the night.

Any of the above points could purley be coincedental, since they were only observed by a single gecko. Overall I am very happy with the commercial diet I am feeding my gecko. I would definantly also offer crickets dusted with calcium+D3 as a form of entertainment in your geckos boring glass box. I wanted to offer my gecko purity as a treat but was advised against it since the general concensus is that once the gecko is eats baby food again he might refuse CGD again hence the weaning process starts fro scratch.

At the end of the day it's up to the gecko's owner. "You can never tell a mother what to do. If she wants to raise a child on take aways thats just what she will do"

A few tips I learnt when trying to convert my gecko to CGD:
-Start of by supplementing the baby food with CGD powder.
-Increase the amount slowly till you can smell it in the baby food.
-Once he is eating baby food+CGD. Make the CGD mix as directed. Instead of using water use apple juice.
-Once you happy that he is eating that you can slowly increase the water-apple juice ratio.

I have also heard of advanced hobbiest adding a tiny drop of honey to entice difficult feeders further. The did stress the point "tiny amount" extensivly.
Hope this is helpful to anyone reading the thread!!
[url]http://www.networkpets.net[/url]
Networkpets
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:50 pm

IMO crickets should be used not everyday by used if not only as a little hunting exercise for the geckos.
I have seen how crazy cresties go for the crickets.

We all know the fellow American hobbiest although may eb at the top og the game often look at the "easiest and quickest more effortless options"

I will be picking up my copy of Rhacodactylus: The Complete Guide to their Selection and Care by Allen Repashy himself.

balls N all i will be happy to let you check it out as ive been told it is the bible of crested geckos literature.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Rhacodactylus001 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

T-rex and Repashy's MRP'S are designed to be a fully balanced diet which can be fed daily. Baby foods [PURITIES*] were developed for babies' growth and brain development. It contains a lot of added sugars and preservatives. I recommend investigating the organic baby foods on the market which contain no preservatives or added sugars. Alternatively, freshly purised fruits would also be a great addition.
As far as feeder insects are concerned, I believe this should form part of their diet to encourage natural hunting behaviour. Our biggest problem on the South African market is the lack of constant supply of imported MRP'S and our alternative backup feeding regimes, should we not be able to obtain MRP'S for a certain duration of time.

Regards to all.
Rhacodactylus001
SA Reptiles Member

Postby balls'n all » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:41 pm

I've spoken to a lot of guys here in Durban and they've kept their rhacs on the "baby food diet" with no issues at all. However I definitely will feel more comfortable feeding the CDG MRP exclusively with a few crix and roaches every other day. Network pets I know keeps the Repashy CGD and from what I've read it is the best version of the powder mix.

If anyone knows where I can find the Repashy CGD MRP, the one in the silver bag, in KZN please let me know.

Fooble I will definitely take you up on that offer!!
http://www.iherp.com/brandon.btreptiles

"True Happiness is a room full of well fed Chondro's"
balls'n all
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby SDTeddy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am

Hi I'm new to sareptile I fave a crested gecho pair I've been feeding them T-rex's gecho diet and that's all they eat they refuse to eat eneything els but nou I'm lo on suplys would some one help me on where I can find some close toe pretoria I would realy apreciate it.
SDTeddy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:14 am

We have not been able to find any Crested Gecko Diet for over a year, I don't think they import it any more.
What we use now is Lorikeet Nectar, you can buy from most Pet Shops and our Cresties love it. Just mix it with Purity like you would mix the CGD.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Nicky H » Wed May 28, 2014 10:17 am

Does anyone know where I can buy Repashy CGD in South Africa?
Nicky H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Docmorrie » Thu May 29, 2014 7:13 am

I imported a bag for myself from www.pangeareptiles.com. Very cost effective if you work it out per gram.
Brought to you by "M.S. Living Art Geckos"

Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/MSLivingArtGeckos
Docmorrie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Geckos