Reptile Expo Durban 2010

This section is for non-profit organisations, Events and Legalities. Please do not use it for advertising. If you wish to post an Event, please seek approval via Bushviper or Bushbaby.

Re: Reptile Expo Durban 2010

Postby slangman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:44 am

for my 2 pennies worth , all the big shows over here in europe are on a single day . Hamm , houten etc . these dates are prebooked every year so people know when they are for example , first weekend in sept and so on . Then they are advertised on several forums and websites with sticky notes at the top of the forums containing all the dates of the shows . This eliminates the ' i didnt know factor' as an excuse . People have ample time to book days off work and make a plan to get there . There will always be chaps that cant make a certain date but for the animals stress levels , i know as a seller aswell as a visitor , the shorter the show , the better for the animals . I am thus a big fan of single day events . The other contributing factor is traveling as it takes a fair bit to travel to germany and holland from the uk so we generally loose 3 days in total but atleast dont have to book accomidation for a second day at the show .

i recon if you have sufficient early advertising of the event , you will eliminate the need for a second day . Either way , good luck with the organising of the event and it certainly is about time there was a show in my home town again . Good on you guys .

Nik
slangman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brent17 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:56 pm

I think for a Durban Expo you need the two day going... It gives everyone who wants to go a chance to attend and plus people will not have the stress of having to make an on the spot decision about buying a reptile beacause there is only one day to decide like fooble said. I will definately be there since I've started looking at reptiles I've been dying to see a reptile expo in Durbs!

@ Byron: I'm really stoaked to see that someone is making an effort to increase the awareness of reptiles in Durbs so many people have a negative outlook on them because they have no idea about reptiles in the first place,!
brent17
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:48 pm

3 words: captive bred indigenous! Come on guys!
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dazz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm

I agree with dk!captive indigenous snakes is the way!
Conservate!
dazz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Hey Byron,

Why not have one and two day table prices, that way the guys who dont have enough to sell for two days will only pay a one day cost. If there are enough one day tables they can be split up into two days giving the people attending a nice variety.
Secondly give a discounted two day pass to persons wishing to attend both days. That way the serious herpers wont be paying a fortune for both days. The single day admission price can be slightly higher thereby offsetting any losses incurred by the discount given to the 2 day guys.
I have a few other ideas but to be honest the way it works in business is I have a product, you want that product we agree on a price and conclude a deal. Whether we have two days to haggle about it all depends on the demand for the item. If it is in high demand you the buyer make a plan and get there and make sure I sell to you, if the demand is low then You the seller make a plan and come to an arrangement to convince me the buyer to part with my cash. Supply and Demand.

We will be there regardless.
JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wobbles » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:14 am

jp.........what you said bru. if i got and you want it why wait till sunday.
Wobbles
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:35 am

Yeah the notion that guys need to sleep on the decision whether or not to buy an animal makes no sense to me. If its a one day show and someone is undecided, they can take the sellers card and call them when they have decided. Either way it becomes a sale.
If i see something I want I wont leave the table til I have it, I certainly wont take the chance and leave it til the next day.
Im not against the 2 day show, I just think that this reasoning is silly.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:34 am

Snakes4Africa wrote:
snakemanjayd wrote:snakesforafirca - I'll just have to check with the wife, and see if breeding goes well this year, but I'll most likely get a table.

Congratulations on the marriage! Happy days ahead!

Thanks hey.
I appreciate that.
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Any more info on this or an update? Is this going to happen this year?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:23 pm

The hall is booked for 3 and 4 July 2010. I am still in two minds whether to do a one-day show on the Saturday or both Saturday and Sunday. The venue is near Mitchell Park in Morningside, Durban.
Advertising will follow in the next few weeks when all is finalized.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marc bt » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:41 pm

Oh yes!!! I can't wait! I'm going to start saving now, and maybe having to sell some of my animals :(
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snakemanjayd » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Nice.
I apparently still have snakes to sell. ha ha.
Thanks for your's and Warwicks effort in JHB.
Can't wait for your expo.
snakemanjayd
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:25 am

Byron, give us two days please.

I sometimes have to work on a Saturday, but never on a Sunday.
I know this sounds incredibly selfish, but if I have to work on a particular Saturday, the Board of Directors has made it clear that no excuse
other than death (Your Own) :roll: , will result in that day being granted off.

Heres' to a highly successsfull Durban Expo.
Byron if you need any help, you've got my number.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 am

Yay. I saw at this last expo some people made most of their money on the Sunday. I believe you can hold it over two days quite easily. If many of the exhibits are places that sell goods or are just displaying reptiles and other animals for the public to look at or have photos taken with it then you should be okay. If there are a few empty stands on the Sunday then you can look at putting in extra seating or else get someone else in just for the Sunday.

On Saturdays there are also soccer matches (2010 etc) and possibly even the sharks losing again that day so some people will be busy and prefer to be there on the Sunday.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 am

We'll be there!! Not exhibiting, but we'll be there!! If you need any help, just shout.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Herpetological Associations, Non Profit Clubs, Events & Legalities