Hello from Pretoria...

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

Hello from Pretoria...

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:04 pm

I joined here recently, as I have an interest in reptiles. I'd like to pruchase one for my place, but still would need to make a choice for it. Additionally I'd need the right habitat/terrarium.

At the moment I consider snakes either burmese pythons or copperhead vipers, but I'm still open to other suggestions.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hello from Pretoria...

Postby mgiddings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:32 pm

Hello and welcome.

As for a first snake burmese or copperhead vipers are probably not a good choice for a first snake. Burmese pythons grow very big and copperheads are venomous. Maybe consider a nice corn snake, ball python, milksnake, kingsnake or some other ratsnake? these are really cool snakes.

welcome to the forum.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:42 pm

mgiddings is correct although both Burmese and copperheads are commonly available and rather cheap i wouldn't suggest any of those two.
A smaller species of snake like some of the colubrid family. Things like
corn snakes , king snakes and milk snakes , milk snakes are nice as they come in loads of bright colours ect.
Ball python is another good option they are placid by nature (generally) and do not get too large.

Give it some thought rather make 100% sure before you rush into something you may not know all the facts about.
If in doubt ask questions!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:30 pm

I must admit that I'm not a 100% newbie to reptiles, but it hasn't been for a while. In the past I caught and kept numerous animals. If they grew, there was extensive space for them in the garden (pond, bush) and they actually were quite loyal to that habitat.

I considered copperheads, even as they are venomous snakes, since the risk seems to be actually low, if managed correctly (They are not actually pets of course). The Burmese Pythons do have a nice colouring and they seem to get quite tame. Their'd be a plan B, if they would grow to big.

One personal favorite to me would be dumeril boas, but they seem to be pretty expensive.

Thanks for the welcome!
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:33 pm

Copperheads are not really that low risk, they can cause pretty bad necrosis, I am sure someone has a bite photo?

Dumeril boas are really nice!
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:13 pm

I surgest Keep away from copperheads.. Believe me, you don't mess with those beautiful creatures
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:22 pm

mgiddings wrote:Copperheads are not really that low risk, they can cause pretty bad necrosis, I am sure someone has a bite photo?

The point was that one doesn't get easily bitten, if one manages them properly. I'm aware that bitten by such a snake can cause severe harm and it's not an exercise one would like to repeat. The bites of copperheads are rarely lethal as far as I know.

mgiddings wrote:Dumeril boas are really nice!
... I like the fact that they are compact snakes with a nice skin pattern. They are quite expensice from what I've seen. But I guess one pays for value.
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mgiddings » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Okay, I see, I misinterpreted your post.

Dumerils are not that expensive compared to some other things, I saw some on the forum for R1000 each the other day.
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Why struggle.. Just get a Madigascar Ground Boa.. for like 4-8000 bucks
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:55 pm

mgiddings wrote:Dumerils are not that expensive compared to some other things, I saw some on the forum for R1000 each the other day.

The pricing that I've seen was:
* Copperheads R550 small R900 big
* Redtail Boas R550 small. R850 medium. They didn't have big ones
* Burmese Pythons R1200 small to medium once - The big ones were R2500 I think
* Dumeril's Boas they were sold in pairs, I've seen R5500 and R7500 for the pair. The cheaper once were smaller.

As comparison I've seen a grown up Bearded Dragon for R500, while the babies were R285.

Another issue would be whether the animals are nocturnal or active during the day.
I'd like to have something for the flat right now, that would require weekly attendance(feeding, cleaning).
Later I consider something for the office, which allows going big (corner or whole wallside as habitat)
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:00 pm

Any venomous snake especially a North American snake you are going to be in allot of trouble if you take a bite zero chance of antivenin
Sure it probably wont kill you neither will a white lip tree viper just ask someone who has been tagged.

Dumerils are allot cooler then burms , ive seen those price from R600.

Beardies you can get for free!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hustler » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:10 pm

Howzit and welcome :) .

You should becareful of copperheads because unlike aboreal snakes like white lips, terrestrial snakes don't cling on to a hookstick. It may not kill you but if you were to handle 1 in an enclosed area even if it's just so you can clean its cage then there's a big chance that it will fly off of that hookstick and then you have a serious problem and copperheads are quick little guys not very fun to handle in my opinion and a bite will really ruin your day and it's not that it wont kill you it's that it shouldn't kill you. There's always a possibility that you might be allergic to the venom.

Keep an eye out on the trading post on the forum. You'll see some nice cheap red tail boas and normal burmese go for relatively cheap aswell. Burmese pythons are relatively calm, much like dogs, you will always get the 1 that wont always be calm and will be snappy and unlike dogs a 3m burm will do serious damage. As well as with feeding, they have intense feeding responses and also they can get R.I fairly easily so their temps need to be kept just right.

My suggestion would be a Red Tail Boa/Ball Python/Dumeril's Boa/Rainbow Boas or if you're really keen on 1 a burmese python as long as you have someone who can help you out with it once it gets bigger.

Goodluck with your decision :) post pics of your choice once you've chosen it.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 am

uncutdiamonds wrote:I joined here recently, as I have an interest in reptiles. I'd like to pruchase one for my place, but still would need to make a choice for it. Additionally I'd need the right habitat/terrarium.

At the moment I consider snakes either burmese pythons or copperhead vipers, but I'm still open to other suggestions.

Welcome uncutdiamonds - firstly why the name uncutdiamonds?? Only asking because i know the trade well :D
Secondly you keep whatever snake you feel comfortable with and that includes black mambas. However i stress the "comfortable with" a lot. Copperheads are very easy to keep and are not a bad first "Hot" IF you have all the tools, that includes but is not limited to a good grab stick, 2 L or hook sticks, a big bucket or container that you can put the snakes into when changing the water or cleaning the cage. If you treat them with respect and do not try and play cowboy then you should be fine, however do not try and take the water bowl out by hand unless you either want to get tagged or you have a big enclosure! As for the burmese - lovely snake to have and if you get a small one then in a year or 3 you can always swop or sell it if it gets to big. At the end of the day YOU are the only one who is responsible for yourself :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

Good luck
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cradle of life » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:09 am

Chat to BushViper as well for some advice as he is an old hand at this kind of thing :idea:
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:11 am

Hey there uncutdiamonds.

Welcome to the forum. I would say get a redtail. They are quite hardy and easy to keep. When I say easy I mean little gadgets and things required for them to be happy. Heatpad,hide,water bowl and light. Thats it for them. Don't keep a venomous snake as your first time pet snake because things will go wrong quickly. Like Hustler said, copperheads are not fun to work with when you are in a little room and the snake gets irretated. Terestrial snakes dont hold on to hook sticks and if you don't have the propper experience from handling snakes you will slip up somewhere.
I am nowhere near perfect and I slip up from time to time, but the experience I have with venomous snakes in the wild and in my collection has saved me on more than one occasion. By this I mean when a snake acts in a certain way I know how to react.

So think long and hard. Don't spend to much on your first snake. I would suggest go to SOS and talk to some guys there. They know what they are doing and will give you excelent advice.

Keep well and keep safe but welcome to the forum and enjoy the hobby.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Introductions