Rescued water monitor

Agamas, geckos, lizards, monitors and skinks indigenous to South Africa.

View Gallery

Re: Rescued water monitor

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 am

That is brilliant news. Beating the staff up means he is well enough to show he means business!!!!
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am

Good on you Bernice!!!
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Sun May 16, 2010 6:35 pm

@Bernice: How is he doing? Do you have any more pics?
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Morab » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:08 am

I've just moved in to Westville, Durban. It's a mini "National Geographic" at the house since the property is large and there's a stream. We don't get snakes (thankfully for me as I'm petrified of them - yeah I know this is the reptile forum) - but there IS something large, and heavy that is rustling around in my ceiling. I saw a long dark tail head up there, about 30 or 40cm long, and now we have this dragging, swishing bustling sound. My cats are going beserk trying to get up there. We called someone who said its a Water Monitor Lizard. But being new in the area, I've no idea who to contact to gently remove it. I'm afraid it won't be able to get back out since there WERE rats up there and I don't hear those anymore so I think its safe to assume he/she/it may have gobbled them up. I'm a total novice and a complete idiot when it comes to these things and thought you may be able to offer some advice. As much as I'm freaked out by them, I don't want any reptile being harmed or hurt because he is stuck somewhere whilst out searching for food. :oops:
Morab
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:11 pm

Morab as soon as all the food is gone he will move off again. He is pretty much harmless so dont stress. He will also eat any snakes that he comes across so see him as your saviour and protector from them in the mean time. Unless you corner him or try to catch him he will not do anything to you. Trust me if he got in there he will be able to get out of there.

There are members from Westville on the forum and I am sure someone could remove it if it really freaks you out. You can also call Byron on 0828946783 if it is getting to be too much for you.

If it was me I would rather have him in my roof than rats which obviously your cat cannot get at, who might chew through electrical wiring and cause a fire.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gavster47 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:53 am

Aww thank you...look how hes loving that bath....monitors are fricking amazing.....
gavster47
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Indigenous lizards