Feeding problem

Feeding problem

Postby marc bt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,
my female Amazon tree boa doesn't want to eat. She is usually a good feeder and takes anything that is offered. The problem is that she strikes at the mouse holds on for a few seconds then lets go, she does this over and over .She is 1m long and her cage mate is just abit longer. I have tried pinks, live and thawed mice. Her cage temps on the warm side : night 22 C and day 25/26 C. She has refused about 3 feeds over the last 2/3 weeks.
What should i do?
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Feeding problem

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Marc 25/26 is pretty low IMO my warm side is much higher then that.
what are you keeping your humidity at?

If she is striking out and holds on try wiggling the mouse with forceps whilst she holds on and she should throw some coils around it and KILL it.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:53 pm

Sorry i forgot to include my temps on the warm side are in the region of 30-32°C (87-90°F) daytime.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby marc bt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:21 pm

I do do that, when she takes it she throws some coils around it then lets it go with its mouth and coils and the mouse drops on the cage.
I will raise the temps but the male eats fine in the same cage.
a wiseman once said:"you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, but teach him how to fish and feed him for the rest of his life.."
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 pm

So perhaps temps are not an issue then, then again they do term this species as "bulletproof".
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby marc bt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:59 pm

Yeah thats what is worrying me, i'm starting to question my abilities of keeping snakes. I really enjoy these snakes and it would really lower my confidence if something were to happen to her.
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:12 pm

Put two water bowls in the cage, one on the cool side of the cage and one on the heat mat or directly beneath the heat lamp.
This will increase humidity, whcih has dropped substantially due to the lack of winter rainfall in Durban.
Also offer your ATB food after dark when it is moving around the cage.
Good luck and keep us updated.

JP
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby marco valenti » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:41 pm

Fooble,what do you use to heat your cages? How big is the cage? I am keeping two amazon tree boas and find them amazing,but I am struggeling to get my tempretures that high.I am new to this site so please bear with me.Haha
marco valenti
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 pm

marco valenti wrote:Fooble,what do you use to heat your cages? How big is the cage? I am keeping two amazon tree boas and find them amazing,but I am struggeling to get my tempretures that high.I am new to this site so please bear with me.Haha

I have heat pads on the side of the enclosure as well as a few strands of heat cable on the base of the enclosure on the warm side beneath the water bowl.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby marc bt » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:54 pm

JP, i have already got 2 water bowls on both sides, large ones too. I have tried at night and day. This is the main reason why i am posting because i have tried nearly everything. The only thing that could be wrong is the temps.
marc bt
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Tree boas (Corallus sp.)