New cage desigin (WOULD IT WORK)

If it has a pelvis and spurs, you can post about it here.

View Gallery

New cage desigin (WOULD IT WORK)

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Hey ppl I hav had the weirdest idea for a boid cage.
I am wanting to build myself some new snake cages and found out that the glass would be the most expencive and I thought about using an alternitive like welded mesh
With the mesh coverig the glasses place I can build bigger cages or invest in better equitment
But I were wandering if the ventelation wouldnt be too much and if they wont catch cold easily I would like to hear your opinnions on this before I start because i really want my snakes to be happy
And if their is anyone out there that keeps boid like intensely i would like to hear from you or better even see some pics of your enclosures
THANX
REGARDS
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:17 am

How big would your cage be, and how much glass would you require? Glass isn't that expensive, if you know where to look. It would be rather difficult keeping the heat regulated in winter if you have welded mesh. All your heat would escape through it.

There's also a possibility of the snakes rubbing their noses raw on the mesh.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:02 am

i think it will be more than a possibility

i Used a thick plastic 1 buys in rolls for an alternative to glass in one cage ages ago

made the cage out of an old shop counter i got off someone and made frames for the plastic doors (total of 3 on the 1 cage). also used the ventilation covers they use for houses.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean

Postby Sean » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:04 am

sorry emphasis i think it will be more than a possibility that the snakes will rub there noses raw on welded mesh. if you really have to do somethin like that rather buy the plastic mesh you get at most hardware stores, will be less damage but you are trying to create a little biosphere 4 the snakes and to many airholes will never work.

you will also have huge problems keeping heat and humidity up.
billygoats taste of chicken
Sean

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 am

I do not believe it is a good idea. The risks are far too big.

1. The snakes WILL (trust me on this) rub their noses on the mesh. Unless you use soft plastic mesh, it's defenitly not a good idea.

2. The cage wont be able to retain heat as it's got an "open window" from where it can escape.

3. You would have to run a heater 24/7 to keep the room temperature warm enough.

4. The snakes will be more susceptable to airborn bacteria, unless you only planning to keep one snake per room.

5. The snakes will get sick at any fluctuation in temperatures.

Hope this makes sense.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby GOOF 1o1 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:02 am

Tahnx for the replies guys I trust your jugement and rather wont go on with doing it
REGARS
GOOF 1o1
SA Reptiles Member

Postby URSULA » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:41 pm

Hi just to add my 5c worth I had a 3m RTB which I put in a lovely large 3mx1mx1m long tank I put in 4 doors with wire chicken mesh also trying to cut coners with glass I found that i was running 4 heating pads and 100 watt infra red heat light and I had to put the heater right next to the cage in winter. It was the worst thing i ever did. now she's behing glass and I cut my heating cost by half! I never had a prob with her hurting herself
URSULA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:20 pm

The reliability of Eskom would make me worry about this design. If the power goes out at 2 in the morning you will be scurrying your behind off just to get the snake into some area where it does not freeze.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby WAYNET » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 pm

The reliability of Eskom would make me worry about this design. If the power goes out at 2 in the morning you will be scurrying your behind off just to get the snake into some area where it does not freeze.

I agree completely. I used to keep Burm's in a wooden wendy house with an asbestos roof. The wendy house was kept warm with a 3000w fan heater. When Eskom decided one fine winter morning to disconnect our neighbourhood, the wendy house dropped 12 Deg C in under an hour. The bottom line: don't skimp on insulation.
WAYNET
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Pythons and Boas