Taiwanese Ratsnake loss

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Taiwanese Ratsnake loss

Postby MikeW » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:57 pm

I went into my snake room this morning to find one of my Tai rats dead (the male). I am gobsmacked and have no idea why he died and have no idea even where to start looking for answers.
I have had him for about five years and he was adult when I got him so I have no idea how old he was.
He looked in perfect health.
He ate yesterday but so did a number of my other snakes and I breed and freeze my own rodents so I am confident the food wasnt bad.
He bit me on Saturday, which was completely out of character, but apart from that there was no change in his behaviour or appearance.
I did move him to a new enclosure three days ago but it is part of a block of nine identical enclosures and the other snakes are all fine.

Does anyone have ANY suggestions as to where I can look. An autopsy is an option but being in Kimberley it wont be easy to find someone to do that - I have frozen him just in case. I havent lost a snake for a couple of years so any thoughts as to possible causes would be really appreciated. And dont hold back - if I messed up - then I messed up and I am posting this to learn and hopefully prevent any other losses.
cheers
Mike
MikeW
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Taiwanese Ratsnake loss

Postby Graeme » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Shame Mike, very sorry for your loss. Some people I know have lost young radiated rats for no apparent reason, but as mentioned, they weren't really established. I can't think of anything you might have done wrong. Maybe he was just very old.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Return to RIP