Minimum Age for Keeping Venomous

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Re: Minimum Age for Keeping Venomous

Postby armata » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:34 am

BV- I never thought that handling courses would generate such points for a Uni. My field study courses do, anyway interesting will have to look into that as we have a lot of students on our handing courses,
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:05 am

Armata the snake bite course is the one that is accredited and that is more for the medical fraternity and the proper hot keepers. This was the course I originally developed and then combined with the handling course before everyone else jumped on the band wagon and went to FGASA and also got accredited for courses which are seriously lacking substance. I have no more interest in being accredited by FGASA because of the quality of the courses that they do accept and accredit.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:32 pm

BV - As far as I know there are only three handling courses in SA accredited by FGASA and I am one of them. Are you saying my course is not of a sufficient high standard? I would have to disagree. I am rather proud of the CRI course and this is supported by the comments we recieve on our post-event evaluation forms. We respond to suggestions and make improvements to both the manual and content of presentation.

I also work on other FGASA courses, inc the Marine Guiding course, and I would say that their standards are pretty high.

I cannot speak for Mike's or Jason's course as I have never wirnessed one.
armata

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:11 pm

The last time I asked FGASA about accreditation they said they were reviewing new applications because of people being bitten while on course. I doubt it was your course or Mikes course. This was at the beginning of last year and there seem to have been numerous other courses either already accredited or in the process of accreditation. I had some of these "graduates" on my course who could not even ID a snouted cobra! That is when I realised that even though it took 3 years before FGASA wanted to accredit anyone when I first applied they had since lowered their standards and were reaping the rewards. These "graduates" had certificates for Snake identification, Snake bite treatment as well as Snake handling courses. This was done in one day without even an exam!

Even just getting the FGASA people to answer a phone or call you back was a nightmare and I realised I dont need them. Being accredited to the Medical council via a University medical school means more to me.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby armata » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 pm

The CRI is strict on its pass level, if you don't hack it you don't pass simple as that. Also we have now introduced a supplementary manual in addition to the normal one. Plus we have two tests and each requires a percentage level for a pass.
I am aware that here in the Western Cape that there are some courses still around with the 'grab'em and neck'em' technique.

The CRI course is also heavy on awareness and habits and behaviour. Where we could improve is on the medical side, and I am the first to admit that. We do cover first aid and emergency procedures and the propeties of venom but even with two days there is a time factor. Its adequate but not ideal.
armata

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 am

armata wrote: I am aware that here in the Western Cape that there are some courses still around with the 'grab'em and neck'em' technique.

Yes using only rattlesnakes and mole snakes does not constitute a complete course in my eyes!! Just one of the many I have a problem with.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ozzy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 pm

I might be 11 but I am very clued up with snakes and I agree with you 110%.
Ozzy
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Previous

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum