New to snakes and forum

Welcome to the forum. Tell us a bit about yourself here.

New to snakes and forum

Postby JONvdHeyden » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi All :)

I have just moved back to UK after nearly 12 years in the UK. I am looking to get my first snake, particularly interested in BRB.

I live in Stellenbosch and I'm hoping to meet members in the Stellies region that know about the care of pythons and boa's. This so that I can feel confident that my set-up and ongoing care is as good as can be. :)

Best regards

Jon
JONvdHeyden
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New to snaks and forum

Postby MISA » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Welcome Jon,
I am sure you will find some members from your area, if not there is a lot of info within the relevant forums, just use the search function to find what you need to know.

MISA.
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JONvdHeyden » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for the welcome MISA. :)

if not there is a lot of info within the relevant forums

I have already had a good browse and found lots of useful content here. From first impression this is a fantastic forum and generally the members here appear to be very friendly and helpful.

With time I hope to be able to contribute ;)
JONvdHeyden
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:29 pm

Welcome back and onto the Forum.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: New to snakes and forum

Postby eyed_lizard » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 pm

What is a BRB?
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Qwerty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Welcome JON,

BRB's are great snakes, I suggest you wait till the next expo, I'm sure there'll be some stunners available.

And the good thing is, they'll be from reputable shops / facilities so you know you're getting your money's worth.

Hope you enjoy the forum !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Welcome here. You did go and pick a province that insists you have permits for exotic snakes as well. They also have minimum caging requirements which you have to adhere to despite them being total rubbish. Other than that I hope we can help you get your animals and keep them as well as possible. The Capies are pretty quiet when it comes to what they keep but I am sure some of them will be able to help you.

Search the topics about importing and keeping reptiles in the Cape and you should be fine.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nvlooi » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:02 pm

Welcome to the awesome place we capies call "Die bos" and the forum.
There are several okes in SBOS region that keep exotics.
Don't stress about getting permits etc... people down here are very friendly and always keen to help.

Feel free to pm me for any info or any of the other capies.

Henco
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JONvdHeyden » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello again

Thanks for the warm welcomes and the great advice already. :)

I'm determined to get the right snake so as eager as I am I know I mustn't rush...
No permits required in the UK and I recenty found out just how fussy the rules are in the Cape! I don't know what the rationale is but seems a little OTT to me!

Henco, thanks for the invite to PM you. I feel much more confident knowing I can contact someone closer to home. :) I know 'die bos' well, I grew up here... But amazed how much the place has grown in the last 12 years!
JONvdHeyden
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JONvdHeyden » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Some time on and a brief update. I have continued to 'lurk' here but haven't participated otherwise.

We didn't end up with a BRB; instead we fell in love with a columbian rainbow boa (called Ida). A few months in and she managed to escape her viv. She managed to slip between the glass panes. We looked everywhere for her and followed all the tips of how to track your snake in your home but to no avail. A few weeks later and we all had to return to the UK for a spot of work but we have people house-sitting. After a total of 5 weeks the house-sitters were watching TV when she slithered past. Can you believe it?

She's nearly a year and a half old now and looking good. She's a bit temperamental when it comes to feeding but she eats when she's hungry.

We moved away from Stellenbosch and in to Greyton. This is a snake haven. Within 2 weeks we spotted a harlequin, boomslang, puff adder and cape cobra. Now we've mingled with the locals I'm shocked at how often they (or their gardeners) kill any snake they encounter in their gardens or house. We came across a particularly large male puff adder 2 weeks ago but we made the effort to catch it and release it somewhere safe. Now I'm determined to learn how to safely catch and release snakes, since there is only one other chap in the village that will make the effort but he hasn't either had any proper training and admits he wouldn't mind someone else take on the challenge.

I'll be attending the next CT course just as long as I am not away for work. :)
JONvdHeyden
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 pm

We have the same problem here in the George/Wilderness area, so many of the people that work on the small holdings here just kill snakes because they are in the way. I actually had to bribe the neighbour's workers not to kill the snakes and instead come and call me and I will give them some money.
Not easy on the wallet at all.
Good for you for trying and save some snakes in Sbos.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Postby shadowfoot » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:42 pm

Sorry, meant Greyton not Stellenbosch.
Shining brightly, even for a split
second, is better than living a
dull-grey life for eternity - Jing (King Of Bandits)
A life without gambling is like
sushi without wasabi - Gintoki (Gintama)
I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it - Steve Irwin
shadowfoot
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Introductions