ID please

ID please

Postby jinxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:27 am

Can any one please tell me what type of spider this is?
Our delightfully deluded cat, decided to do a little herping of his own this week, and this was his one prized catch, he just felt the need to share with us. I would just like to know what it is as i am not at all clued up on spiders (terrified of the things actually).

I appologise if the images don't show and it shows a link instead I am having endless problems trying to upload images :smt013

Images fixed, just put [img]and[/img] before and after the links
1.1.0 Pogona vitticeps, 1.1.0 Eublepharus macularius, 6.3.0 Elaphe Guttata, 0.1.0 Lampropeltis getulus california, 0.1.0 Boa constrictor imperator, 1.1.0 Python molurus bivittatus, 1.0.0 Python regius, 1.0.0 Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis.
jinxx
SA Reptiles Member

Re: ID please

Postby BOOGY » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:36 am

That looks like one of the Baboon spiders. Dont know the exacy species tho.
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:24 am

Common Baboon spider I think.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:59 am

Is it dead, it looks like it
Does it have golden lines on the carapace?
Where are you from?
What was it's size?

Can you take a decent sized pic from the top to get some details.
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby jinxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:14 am

It wasnt dead no, :smt018 it was more stunned from being tortured by our crazy cat.
:smt017 It did have lines on it come to think of it.
We are from East London. It was about the size of my palm but as its legs were not fully extended I couldnt give you a actual size. I am terrified of spiders (stupid I know but im slowly trying to get over it). Taking the photos was as close as I could get to the spider. My husband had to step in to be the hero :lol:
1.1.0 Pogona vitticeps, 1.1.0 Eublepharus macularius, 6.3.0 Elaphe Guttata, 0.1.0 Lampropeltis getulus california, 0.1.0 Boa constrictor imperator, 1.1.0 Python molurus bivittatus, 1.0.0 Python regius, 1.0.0 Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis.
jinxx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:25 am

No worries, took me a while to get over spiders myself, needles to say my first attempt was a black widow.
anyway... it could be between the common baboon as stated above or the golden brown baboon.
There are differences, but if I can't see the carapace I cannot make a concluded identification.
Coomon baboon, up to 60+mm in length .
Golden brown baboon, up to 90+ mm in length.

Where is it now?

http://www.scorpions.co.za/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=57&Itemid=61
here is a download page of which includes a picture of all three of the indigenous baboon spiders, and maybe you will be able to give us a more clarified identification.
eyed_lizard

Postby jinxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:44 am

this looks as close to it as I can see, The photos actually dont do it much justice. Was rather a pretty spider (but a spider none the less)

Hope i managed to do the attaching image thing correctly now :oops:
jinxx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jinxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:48 am

Yay I managed to get it right I see, the white markings on the "knees" are the same, and the colouring too
jinxx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:52 am

It is pointing towards the golden brown baboon, the common baboon does not have marking on the leg segments, but may differ according to locality I don't know?!
If it is a golden brown... you have a very rare spider on your hands!
eyed_lizard

Postby jinxx » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:12 pm

We let if go a few blocks up from our house. There is a big bushy area, so he /she will hopefully not be ambushed by any more phsyco cats or any other predators. We had the logic to not kill it (no matter how bad I wanted to grab the doom) Lets hope the next person ha sthe same compasion. We have all sorts dragged int othe house by the cats, from red lips, frogs, mice, moles, birds , spiders just to name a few. Our gecko collection would be fantastic if any of them had survived.
jinxx
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:21 pm

Good for you Jinxx :) Didnt know we baboon in East london...interesting, and do not tell my fiance.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby HeLL_DoGG » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Hey! My friend's father caught a spider up in Camperdown! I ended up taking it off his hands as I already had a growing collection of tarantulas @ that stage!! Looking @ the pics, I'd DEFINATELY say that's a GBT (Golden Bitey Thingie)/Mombasa Golden Starburst Baboon Spider (Pterinochilus Murinus)!!
HeLL_DoGG
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:50 am

You should post a picture of it and others can help you determine if you are breaking the law or not.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Zane02 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Hell_dogg please post the pics because if it is a Pterinochilus murinus, (OBT- Orange Baboon Tarantula/Orange Bitey Thing) it is illegal to keep...
Zane02
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Other invertebrates