Herping in Springbok area

Herping in Springbok area

Postby Hantam » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:59 pm

I am going to be in the Springbok area for a few days next week for work. I will be busy most of the day but will have time in the late afternoon and evenings to go herping. I do not know the area at all , do any of you guys have some suggestions where I can go looking. I see the evening temperature has been nice the past week and hoping it will be the same next week.
:D :smt017
To herp or not to herp that is the question
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Herping in Springbok area

Postby monopeltis » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:06 am

Go look around the local police station ;)
monopeltis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:21 am

Do not have any herping tools in your vehicle. They arrest you for poaching even if you are not collecting. It is safer in Hillbrow.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Hantam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:59 pm

Seems to me I have put my head in a bees nest. I did not think it was this bad, don't they have real criminals there that they can go and chase.Thanks for the advice I will be very careful.
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Hantam wrote:Seems to me I have put my head in a bees nest. I did not think it was this bad, don't they have real criminals there that they can go and chase.Thanks for the advice I will be very careful.

With the amount of smuggling that goes on around there and people catching everything and anything they see and getting it shipped over to Europe.Thats the beeg problem.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby michael » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Hantam
They are catching real criminals! There is no difference in my mind between the guys poaching herps and those who shoot Rhino’s so they can profit from the horns. At the end of the day no one will bother you if you are casually observing, there’s no law against that, but they will throw the book at you if they catch you collecting anything! And be warned the law enforcement guys are pretty good and well informed up there!
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hantam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:05 pm

michael wrote:Hantam
They are catching real criminals! There is no difference in my mind between the guys poaching herps and those who shoot Rhino’s so they can profit from the horns. At the end of the day no one will bother you if you are casually observing, there’s no law against that, but they will throw the book at you if they catch you collecting anything! And be warned the law enforcement guys are pretty good and well informed up there!

I agree with you about the illegal collecting being the same as poaching rhino horn. I did not mean to sound like I approve of it. I was referring to BV's comment that you get charged for just having equipment with you. At this rate I think would rather sit in my hotel room and watch TV than go herping in Springbok. I did not realize the poaching in this area is so serious and I can understand why they are so serious about catching the the guys. It is a pity because it is spoiling herping for the true herpers wanting only to have look and maybe some good photographs of you find. :smt018 :smt017
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:20 pm

Hantam, if you are keen to photograph a few specimens i suggest you speak to the guys at the local conservation office. Let them know your intentions and see what they say. They are good guys and got into conservation becuase they love wildlife so im sure they will help or they can at least guide you with what you can do. Like i said there is no law preventing you from taking pictures or observing herps. Collecting them is the problem. SPB is a great place to herp and im sure if you do things by the book you wont have any problems. Let us know what you find.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Hantam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks Michael will do it that way. Don't want to land on the wrong side of the law and I like doing things by the book. I feel better about it now . I will contact them. Do you have a name I can contact. I will place some photos if I find something. :D :smt006
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby namaquaboy » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Hantam, I am in Port Nolloth, i can show you around with pleasure. I am in Namibia now, but due back in PN this weekend.

Will PM you, and send my details, but i know the area well. we can maybe meet up somewhere
namaquaboy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hantam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:41 pm

That would great thanks
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hantam » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:59 pm

Ok I am back from Springbok after freezing most of the week and little herping and a camera packing in even before seeing one reptile. :smt010 . On Thursday I got the fright of my life. The town was full of police with a police chopper and a air force Oryx. :shock: For a moment I thought someone had been reading this subject and have come to get me :smt021 . I only found out later that they were there hitting all the Tik houses in town, what a relief. :lol: Did however hear later at the local drinking hole that a poor guy with snakes was busted for keeping them without permits apparently some Vipers :smt011

Had the chance to do some herping on the weekend with Namaqua boy and saw some amazing Bitis schneideri in the Port Nolloth area, Thanks a lot for your help would not have known where to look. :smt006
Hantam
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Glad you enjoyd the time up there.

Very nice of Namaqua boy to help you, seems like a geniune person willing to help someone in the hobby.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:18 am

Hantam we do need photos of this trip.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Northern Cape