2010 Baby White Lipped Tree Vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris

2010 Baby White Lipped Tree Vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Here are the results of justinvBreda’s gorgeous little lady’s brief, but apparently fruitful liaisons with a couple of my oversexed males.

So far it looks like 8 boys and 6 little girls, but we'll wait for them to shed to confirm.

There will be at least two litters to choose from.

Thanks

G.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Re: 2010 Baby White Lipped Tree Vipers (Cryptelytrops albola

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 am

Oh wow!
I love the white lips! If only they were'nt venomous!
I heard that they are'nt easy to feed first few times, is this true? Also what do you feed them when they are this young?
Are they an okay started hot?
There's someone advertising white lip babies for R200 but don't know if they are problem feeders.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leon_Kun » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:54 am

Carla, i can tell you that they are hard to feed when very young.
They do take pinkies (if your lucky), but they generally feed on gecko`s or painted reed frogs (thats the two that i`ve seen them take willingly).
very nice snakes though and they arent that bad as first time hots.
R200 is fine, but they won`t be eating pinkies though (1 out 100 chance they will).

You guys can correct me if i`m wromg though.
1.2.0 Python molurus bivittatus
0.0.1 Epicrates Cenchria Maurus
2.4.0 B. c. constrictor
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Python Regius
1.1.0 Python reticulatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus purpureomaculatus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
0.0.1 Varanus exanthematicus
Just for the love of reptiles.
Leon_Kun
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:55 am

Maybe one day I will take the leap and get met two of them. I love these so mutch. They are so beutifull versus price.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:57 am

What is the most exstreme effect one will have when one gets bitten by a witelip?

I have heard from someone that only your day is rouned.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:01 am

ok so say you have a whitelip baby that does'nt want to take a pink. I heard about "scenting" pinks with gecko's, how well does this work.
Also how safe is gecko's because all the lizzards and skinks I have caught in my garden had mites and other "goggos" on them, will they not move onto the snake while eating?
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:17 am

Hi Carla, none of these babies will be sold unless they are eating pinks readily. So if you decide to get from us, the whole issue doesn't exist.
Unfortunately, I can promise you that they won't be R200 each. Probably closer to R500 for females, R400 for males, or optionaly R700 per pair.

You can't go wrong with them as a first venomous choice though. Once they are on rodents, they are an absolute pleasure to keep.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Urucone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

When you’re looking to buy a white lip ask if the breeder can skip a feeding and when you arrive to show proof that they ate or ask that it can get fed before you leave, White lips is actual frog and lizard feeders in nature so they are reluctant to feed on mice, some of them need to be forced fed, and sometimes if someone don't know what they’re doing a few dies, But once they eat mice it usually go's easier, females in general are like pigs, they eat without problems where as your male can get you down on your knees sometimes.

Scenting pinks works alright if you can find a small enough pink for the white lip, But in general there's different ways of feeding these guy's, scenting, force feeding, sometimes you have to feed them mice tails legs ext. (body parts), teasing but that is sometimes a lost case and as you know they are venomous, try to force feed a venomous snake if you have no experience, feeding it lizards in my case is a no no, the trick is to get them on mice, lizards isn’t that easy to find in winter and I'm not prepared to look for lizards and frogs for the next 10 odd years. When handling these guy's always ensure you have two hook sticks if it moves closer to your hands you can push it back or hook it with the other hook stick.

Graeme is a great breeder so if his price is a little steep, buy his, the last thing you need is a white lip that refuses meals.
as long as you keep quiet, no one will notice that your dumb
Urucone
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:25 am

Oooh great there goes my budget...again!
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:31 am

Graeme wrote:Unfortunately, I can promise you that they won't be R200 each. Probably closer to R500 for females, R400 for males, or optionaly R700 per pair.

Still a very good price Graeme - They normally sell for around R600 each with no guarantees.
Good luck with them.

Carla they make excellent starter "hots"
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:56 am

Carla, I’m sure this has been discussed elsewhere on the forum but I’ll give some info anyway. A full bite from a White Lip will do a lot more that ruin your day! They have potent venom that causes local and systemic bleeding due to coagulopathy. Their venom inhibits the coagulation of blood. This can lead to a whole host of other complications. A Green Tree Viper Antivenom is produced by the Thia Red Cross Society and is very effective against these. However I highly doubt there is any available in South Africa. Serious bites would have to be treated by replacement of clotting factors using fresh frozen plasma. The R200 or R700 you pay for the snakes would be a drop in the ocean in comparison to the cost of treatment.
That being said White Lips are easy to care for once they are eating well. They are generally not overly aggressive and are fairly easy to handle. What is important is can you do all the day to day tasks associated with keeping venomous safely and confidently?
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby eyed_lizard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:21 pm

Very nice Graeme congrats :D
cvanvollenstee, the bite can be nasty it all depends on numerous factors on how your system reacts to the venom.
For one, if you are allergic to bee stings... you will be in allot of pain and guaranteed swelling!
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Well before I can even start looking for one I must get past the BF. Also I asked friends and she is also for it but also asked how would I feel if he managed to escape and bite one of my dogs which is currently, until I have one day, my babies.

So there wil go lots of research into it. Also the question must be asked is there ever a "good" time to start with hots.

So I will have a think about it and talk in through with everyone involved and then go from there.
They are just such beautifull snakes.
Maybe I must get something like a Leucistic texas rat that's not realy tame and see if I can handle that.
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Make sure your cages are meant to house these snakes ie escape proof. Secondly do not try to take chances with them.

If you are allergic to the venom (rather rare) it will not "guarantee swelling and pain" but will probably kill you. Swelling and pain are not symptoms of an allergic reaction.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby michael » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Carla the question of when to start with venomous snakes only you can answer. No aggressive Texas rat is going to train you. Dealing with venomous snakes is part skill and part getting your mind right. The Texas rat may teach you a few handling skills but only getting you head right will get you through when something goes wrong that you hadn’t anticipated. Every snake is a wild animal and every animal reacts differently and has its own set of quirks, you get to learn how to handle this through experience. That experience you only get from working with venomous snakes. Get a mentor, go learn, do call outs and if you really still keen then consider it carefully. If your dog gets tagged its sad, if you get tagged it sux but if someone else gets tagged because of your pet it’s a tragedy. Venomous snakes are a big responsibility and White Lips are not venomous snakes with training wheels no matter what anybody tells you. :)
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Next

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)