Aggression

Aggression

Postby putridity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi
I have 3 normal females that are very aggressive.
Due to not being held for breeding purposes,
Now, other than just keep holding them, which isnt so lekker with skitish snakes, and being bitten, ( I have been keeping snakes for over 7 years, and i still havnt got over the phobia of the bite :smt021 ) lame i know but anyway.
Is there any other way of taming it down.? :smt012
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll Die Today"
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Aggression

Postby glencoco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Get some good gloves, and I do mean good. Then just go for it, show them whose boss. It works with me, I just don't go in to aggressive or they, or you for that matter, might get hurt.
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby putridity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

ya dude
im over getting bitten hey..
When i still had my boas Aiii, my hands, and greentree.
Not fun.
but ya i have some garden gloves.
Just wondering about the smell of my hands compared to the gloves and then when i do pick them up with my hands its another story
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm

One thing about snakes ive found. If they hiss/ strike and you then decide to leave them alone. Thats the worst mistake you can make, It shows them that by hissing/striking you will leave them be and they will keep doing it as they know you will retreat. When the ball is out , is she fine then or is she still striking all the time?. Make sure you feed her in a diff enclosure and you feed her enough as not to be hungry. As glencoco said get gloves, when they bite into it they will not like what they are biting into thus after a while clam down. It all comes with time and handling. Im sure you will get to a point when she calms down
1. Sunglow Boa Constrictor
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby putridity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:38 pm

Lol Wade,
i know what your saying.. you make a good point.. :)
Brendan and I were handling them last night, got bitten a few times.
putridity
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm

It's just a love bite ;) haha. I personally don't use gloves because I feel restricted and because the rest of your arm is exposed anyways. Have you tried using a hookstick? Get them out using a smallish hookstick but quickly yet gently so that by the time they're in your hands they're still 'processing' what's happening. I found that this has always worked for me and once they're in my hands they stay still so I stay still and I just let them do what they feel comfortable doing. Hope this helps somehow.
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby glencoco » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 pm

ziiyo wrote:One thing about snakes ive found. If they hiss/ strike and you then decide to leave them alone. Thats the worst mistake you can make, It shows them that by hissing/striking you will leave them be and they will keep doing it as they know you will retreat. When the ball is out , is she fine then or is she still striking all the time?. Make sure you feed her in a diff enclosure and you feed her enough as not to be hungry. As glencoco said get gloves, when they bite into it they will not like what they are biting into thus after a while clam down. It all comes with time and handling. Im sure you will get to a point when she calms down

Exactly what I meant, I don't use gloves anymore, rather a large hook!
glencoco
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm

I have exactly the same problem, only it's with a 2+ meter long yellow anaconda. It's more of a silent aggression though, you dont see the bite coming, he just opens his mouth in a flash, avoided his bites so far though.

I dont think anybody really gets over the apprehension before a possible bite, Im dreading the bite that I am sure Im going to get from my conda, its just one of those things, I honestly dont think gloves are going to do much for me.

Im sure that with frequent handling your royals will calm down, good luck.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Jamster wrote:I have exactly the same problem, only it's with a 2+ meter long yellow anaconda. It's more of a silent aggression though, you dont see the bite coming, he just opens his mouth in a flash, avoided his bites so far though.

I dont think anybody really gets over the apprehension before a possible bite, Im dreading the bite that I am sure Im going to get from my conda, its just one of those things, I honestly dont think gloves are going to do much for me.

Im sure that with frequent handling your royals will calm down, good luck.

LOL :)

Wait though Yellow Anas are though known for their aggression. Whereas Balls are probably second to a Boa as one of the most docile snakes. I was going to get a Yellow once upon a time, then I learned a bit more and was like erm no thanks :P
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 pm

For a long time I have handled and cared for a pair of yellows at work, they are super tame. At the beggining of this year the 3 meter male grabbed my hand (feeding response, not aggression), still gotta love the condas though. Got my first one a few weeks ago :)
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jhbhc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 pm

It will eventually stop handle them an hour each day. Can never be as bad as the emerald's i owned. Or your green tree pythons. I've had some nasty boas as well but managed to tame every single one of them. Just put ur hand over its head and pick the snake up it won't strike
jhbhc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 am

Hi
What does a ball bite feel like? I have been bitten by my own RTB once (my own fault) but to be honest it wasnt much to write home to. Couple of years ago friends burmese took a snap at my fore arm....i felt that one!
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ziiyo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:08 pm

It all depends on the size of the snake. But ive found that it gets overplayed due to the shock or the snake striking and hitting. If you put your hand on and take a bite without looking it is not as sore strangely enough. Although im talking about smaller boas here.. not the WTF ITS HUGE boa :)
ziiyo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 pm

My 2yr old male tagged me, was not that bad, just burned a bit and luckly after reading about it here I squeezed the bite area and a small little tooth popped out, lol
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Brendan E » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

sell those females and get snakes with a better nature.
Nobody likes to get bitten
I got balls that will tame down for nothing and females that dont need to be held for ages but when you take them out they as tame as puppy dogs.
livestrong
Brendan E
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Ball pythons (Python regius)