Breeding python natalensis

Re: Breeding python natalensis

Postby Serpy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:53 am

So then Coral your snakes arent that legit then..
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Only having keeping permits for a species in a province that has not really started issuing TOPS permits is not a big deal. KZN is also slow in issuing permits. The province cannot enforce a law which they have to implement properly first. I am still waiting for cycad permits 4 years after applying.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mailjvdb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Bushviper,

How difficult would it be to obtain a legal specimen of this species? I should have never bought that Boa constrictor at that darn expo... Now I'm totally hooked on giant snakes :D

Also after working with the Python I caught, I kinda fell in love with them even more. They are truly magnificent snakes, and seem much more intelligent than your average snake. I like the Burmese, and I'm especially fond of Reticulated Pythons, but would love to own one of these (P. natalensis) in the future. I just hope captive bred P. natalensis is a bit more docile, as that wild one was feisty indeed!
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:30 pm

What is the difference between these and the python sebae?
The small reptile park i volunteer at(Jhb) breed lots of these southern african rock pythons.
A few weeks ago we took about 20 eggs from the small female,and the big female is now about to pop,she gives allot of eggs!
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Python sebae do not occur this far south down in Africa.

Mailjvdb what you caught was a P. natalensis. That is the only species that occurs in South Africa. Captive bred ones usually calm down nicely. I have had some really calm wild caughts and some fiesty captive bred ones.

Once they are captive bred in theory it should be pretty easy to get them on permit. I do know of someone who got ripped off when buying these pythons "legally" from a small snake park in Johannesburg and they have never managed to get them on permit because apparently the owner does not have a TOPS permit which allows sales. Each "activity" has to be specified or else you may not do it. Selling is a separate activity for which you need approval so make sure you physically see a permit which allows this or else do not bother doing the deal.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mailjvdb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Well if anyone of you ever come across legal neonates, I'd be very interested!

Ales, go check this post viewtopic.php?f=130&t=22958
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks for pointing that out Serpy.

Now.....

There is nothing illegal about discussing P. natalensis husbandry so why don't we close the flipping rule books for a change and learn something?
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Reptiles Unlimited » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:17 pm

Where is the "Like" button Froot?
Lets talk husbandry in stead of nonsense. We have Afrocs on permit and if they breed you gotta believe they will be offered for sale legally.
They require TOPS permits but are well worth the extra effort.
JP Wittstock
Reptiles Unlimited
http://www.reptilesunlimited.co.za
Reptiles Unlimited
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I wasn't trying to talk nonsense or piss people off, I'm just pointing out the obvious seeing as people on this forum tend to harp on about the legalities of keeping indigenous reptiles.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:42 am

Reptiles Unlimited wrote:We have Afrocs on permit and if they breed you gotta believe they will be offered for sale legally.

And round about when would that be? :D
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Coral » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 am

WELL if you would say mine is illegal then go ahead.i asked natcon and they said i dont need a tops so then i dont mind.i bought my female from kzn legally and the male i got from a friend legally so go on with your permit storys.have a nice day this was my last post
Coral
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:40 am

So what I was hoping for never happened. The discussion did not revert back to the topic, we are minus another pissed off member and we all learned nothing about breeding P. natalensis.

Thank you Serpy.

In future would you be so kind as to let us be the ones that hold the rule book and blow the whistle? In fact, if anybody else feels the cramping urge to detract from a topic and harp on about legalities then do me a favour, report the post by clicking the triangle at the top right of the post and express your concerns there. This way any usefullness that the topic can potentially provide is not stripped away from it by a handful of tittle tales that couldn't care less.

Grrrr.....
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 am

I apologise to anyone that was offended by my post. It was not my intention to do so.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:13 am

The older HAA journals has report on breeding. They give allot of detail on how and when everything happens.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:14 am

Serpy, im with you in protecting our wildlife heritage, but I must agree that Froot has a valid point and that I would love to get some usefull info out of this thread.

Just a quick note, Nature conservation ain't doing much to protect our wildlife. On one occasion I heard about a fellow who collected a mother P.natalensis and her entire clutch from a Nature reserve!!! I was furious, and reported the affair to Natcon, only to be told they can't do anything about it. Moral of the story is that in the end preservation and conservation comes down to us, the people who really care, so good for you Serpy!

In my opinion Python natalensis should be more commercially available. Most people are the same, if they want something, they will take it, regardless, and this does nature more damage than in a controlled trade. Also, allowing trade, would allow people to speak freely about subjects like breeding and care

Regarding what Froot said, I also agree, lets learn something and discuss this topic. There are to many interesting post on this forum that doesn't get discussed in full, and its dragging down the quality of info. It would be interesting to learn more about their reproduction behaviour. Do you have those journals It_bit_me? And is it possible to share some info with us?
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Natal rock pythons (Python natalensis)