Snake ID Please

Re: Snake ID Please

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Sorry for making a nuisance on this topic, but i can't stop staring at the difference from this snake compared to the purple gloss and stiletto. And it does resemble both but there are smaller scales beneath the top 2 large ones on the head from the stiletto and the purple gloss. Does the stiletto have fangs and 2 rows of teeth on the upper jaw? Does the purple gloss only have the 2 rows of teeth on the upper jaw without the fang/s?
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God ...than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alexander » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:05 pm

I think all snakes have teeth on the palate and upperjaw, but I guess the stilleto will have more prominent fangs and the amblyo will have less distinguishable fangs.

In pic 11, what up with those neck scales? Looks almost like they got a ridge or is that something else?
Those head scales and long tail don't seem right, but I can't think what else it could be. Its hard to see the scales with the light colour of the snake.
Life is but a glimpse of triumph amongst incomprehensible failure.
alexander
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:10 pm

alexander, Yes you observed correctly. There is indeed a kink in the neck(car in front of me drove over it and then another as i made a U turn to fetch it). It is very difficult to get a decent pic of the scales on the head as it is too light for my cam and is reflecting the whole time. Excuse the tooth pic placed in the snakes neck but it was difficult keeping the snake still with the snake in the one hand the other hand the cam, had to use the tooth pick to pin it in my hand so would not swivel the whole time.
I think i will use some dark powder and rub the the powder on the snake's head so that it will go stuck between the scales so that it can be identified more accurately.

Thank you for your input and interest.
Would you like some photos from the snake's mouth on the inside?
I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God ...than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle.
Westor
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Alkaline » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:22 pm

Can't see the picture that clearly, I'm going with either a Cape Wolf Snake or a Stileto Snake
Alkaline
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:24 pm

It's not a wolf snake or a stiletto we discussed this.
It's Amblyodipsas sp.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Previous

Return to North West