After 158 days she dropped.

After 158 days she dropped.

Postby Whitelipp » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 pm

Hey guys.

Yesterday morning I went to my whitelips cage to go check on her and put on her lights. The past four days she's been lying on the floor of her cage in the dark side of the cage. So I've bee a bit worried because I moved her a few weeks ago from Pretoria to Nelspruit against some members advice but I just had to take the chance as I didn't want to risk the babies not making it because I want there.
Any way yesterday morning I get to the cage and see her moving about. I went to make coffee and checked on her again and there it was my first whitlip neonate. I was over the moon. The first one dropped at 06:48 and the last one dropped today the 15th at 07:25.
Its her first batch and she gave me 16. Not bad for the small girl. The thing that had me worried was that gestation is average 120 days if I'm not mistaken and she took almost 160 days. At one stage I thought she's gona drop some slugs or stillborns...
Just to give you guys the history on this little female of mine. I got her as my first venomous snake and I got her as a very small non feeder in March 2008. I force fed her up until September when she took her first hopper by herself... So we have come some long road together. I put her with a male earlier this year and they mated 5 times the last was on the 16th of July.
But any way now I have 16 little whitlip pit vipers and they are all 100% healthy. Now I need to know for the experts on these guys. When to feed them their first meal?

I don't have internet at the moment to upload pics but wil do it as soon as I can... It will probably be on the 22nd.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: After 158 days she dropped.

Postby Crash » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Hey bud, Congrates on the new babies :D my 2nd female droped yesterday aswell 13babies they are so cute. Anyway give them a chance to have their first shed which normally takes around 4-10 days look they can go for quite a while with no food as their bellies are still full.Also use a fairly small container with a pirch just to make feeding a lil easier. Good luck :)
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boadicea » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Congrats Whitelipp! They are cool babies. As a matter of interest how exactly did you force feed her? Whitelips are so small but venomous it must have been tricky. Did you start her on pinkie heads? Did you use a pinky pump? Do tell
"You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything, catastrophic included"- e e cummings
Boadicea
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Force feeding was difficult as i say i started with pinky heads for the first feed, The prob with pinky pumps is the skin gets cloged up and its really just one big mess, once you get through the first two it gets alot easier as you get a rythm going. But yeah its pretty much a night mare and a good challenge. ;) .
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Do you guys use those pumps before trying tease feeding?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:49 pm

Sorry didnt finish my reply.
If you simple tap the snakes with a piece of pinky like the high or lower half( not the head as it is the widest part of the pink) cut horizontally they will strike and bite in defense and the piece of pinky being longer then it is wider they will almost always swallow that down easily.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

As i say iv tried loads of things, And it just doesnt work babi white lips i would say about 10% of them are actually aggresive the ada 90% just try get away. And obviously the size in which they are born are tiny.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:54 pm

I thought the same before i got a few "non feeders" and i got them all to feed on the first day.
I think people give them a negative connotation as difficult feeders.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Crash » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm

Look i wont say difficult feeders as i force fed mine twice and now they are taking pinks no problem, The main thing is getting them a lil size and fimiliar with the smell of rodents. Then all should be good.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)