Died 3 days after giving birth...

Died 3 days after giving birth...

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:42 am

Hey guys.

I have sad news... My two year old whitelip viper female died suddenly today three days after she gave birth. She ate a small mouse two days ago. This morning she had an over bite and looked like she was disorientated. I took her out in the sun and there she just rolled over bit the ground a few times and died.
I have no idea what went wrong. I will put her in the deep freeze and take her for an autopsy. Who would be able to help me with this when I come up to Pretoria on the 22nd?
Now I will have to keep back a few babies cos man I lost my first venomous snake I've ever had and she was a gem.

Any one have any idea what the cause of death can be?
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Died 3 days after giving birth...

Postby Hustler » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Damn sorry to hear that mate
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:41 pm

You can take her to Onderstepoot and have Dr Elliott open her up. You may find a slug or two that blocked up the pipes and caused her meal to poison her when she couldn't pass it. Also it may be that at 2 years old, she was possibly a little too young to handle the strain of pregnancy. One would have to see her condition to confirm that.
Terribly sorry for your loss, but at least you can pick the best from the little ones to continue her legacy.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:55 pm

I gotta agree with Graeme on that, But yeah terribly sorry for your loss.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Well I got her in March 2008. This makes her almost 3. So I don't think she is to small or young. She lost allot of condition during the whole pregnancy...
She gave me 16 neonates which is not a bad batch. But I'll take her to onderstepoort and see what we can discover. Thanx guys. I'm a bit shocked how in three days she can go from great to dead. Just can't understand it.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Hey Whitelipp, sorry about your snake. I think if you want an autopsy you should keep it in the fridge.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry - what a terrible disapointment. Keep us posted regarding the post mortem
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:29 am

Sorry to hear... Would you say your decision to get a whitelip as a first venemous was a good choice? I'm just gathering info to convince the bf...
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 pm

Well it wasn't the first hot I handled. But yea it was the first venomous snake I kept and now I miss the little creature. She was quick as hell and man did she start chowing eventually... Just keep in mind they don't have the worst bite but they do pack a mean punch!
If you want a hatchling I would be more than willing to offer you one once they are chowing.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:03 pm

Carla - just get a female to start they feed better and will cause less worry and stress to you, males can be a bit of a pain.

Whitelipp you cant just say the bite is not that bad there have been some serious hospitalisations for T albolabris. Have you been bitten before?
Venom reacts to people in different ways so I would be careful saying that are not bad especially if there are kids around as most of these reported cases are of bites to children.
Needless to say they are a common starter hot and have a clam to mild nature but a venomous snake it still is - and that is why it is listed in the Exotic highly venomous snakes section.

Don't worry I am sure you will sell your babies - they eventually will all go.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 pm

Bradmiller just read my previous post again...
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Whitelipped tree vipers (Cryptelytrops albolabris)