Ideal Leopard Gecko Setup??

Ideal Leopard Gecko Setup??

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:59 am

Hi Fellow Herpers

I've recently been introduced to Leopard Geckos and have really fallen in love with the little Critters. I've done spans of reading and think I'm ready to take the next step and actually get one ( maybe more later). I've already purchased a 3 foot wooden reptile cage which I'm planning to outfit (my intention is to "shorten" it via partition for the Gecko while its small so it doesn't lose its prey. Once it is larger I'll open it up allowing it the full 3 feet to roam around in.)

I know I cannot use sand or any ingestible substrate no matter what, the last thing i want is a gecko with impaction-too cruel. So I've got 3 pieces of reptile carpet so i can do quick changes and cleans by just popping a new fresh, clean mat in the tank and thus reduce stress. obviously the tank needs thorough sterilisation once a month. Maybe two?? not sure....

Then i've got the moist and dry hides sorted with a couple of exoterra hides filled with Sphageum moss (correct spelling???? :smt012 ) the one to be kept moist on the warm side and the one to be kept dry on the cool side. I've also got heating mats for the warm side, a thermometer and a hygrometer ( also bought spare matts and thermometers and hygrometers just in case...)
Do i need thermostats? or can i manually controll temperature?? Help?? :|

Then i've got small water and feeding dishes, along with a few cans of calcium powder and vit d3 ( i've read that some people advise against d3 but others recommend it..... Any advice on this??)

Now i'm just hoping to run the tank without a Gecko just to get used to the maintainance and whatnot ( things like managing temp and humidity) before putting a Gecko in there.

So that is all i have and all I know right now.... I know there are some really experienced and knowledgeable people on this forum- Please tell me if i've left anything out or gotten anything wrong?

Many thanks
The sky has many holes
These holes are very small
That is why rain is so thin
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Ideal Leopard Gecko Setup??

Postby mgiddings » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am

That setup sounds near to perfect in my opinion. A thermostat is always a good idea, but for just one cage I doubt it would be necessary. I just use tricalcium phosphate for mine.

I would say sterilization once a month is fine. How much of the cage will the heating mat cover? Try make it about 1/3.

That sounds good to me, enjoy your gecko, they are really nice to keep.
"Well, if you spend enough time in the field you will spot special things"-Tony Phelps
mgiddings
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 pm

@mgiddings ...Tricalcium phosphate for???
Sorry, you're talkiing to a kid who nearly failed chem in high school. Haha

Yeah got it set up to just about 1/3 of the tank heated

Otherwise thanks so much for the input.
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:05 pm

I figured sterilizing once a month would be the best option. I've read that Leos are quite susceptible to parasites and bacteria .
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby D@RRYL » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Sounds like you have everything under control, thermostat would be optional. I use exo terra gecko calcium for a while now and it works for me.
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:16 pm

@ D@RRYL
"I use exo terra gecko calcium for a while now and it works for me."

I'm using exactly the same calcium. I figure they're one of the biggest producers of reptile and herpetological equipment in the world so they should have good quality supplements
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:25 pm

so what I'm picking up here is that a thermostat would be a plus but it's not essential? should I get one anyway?

also, where should I go to buy my Gecko in the natal midlands/ Durban area?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanna make sure i get everything right. :{D
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby D@RRYL » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:54 pm

Again i would say its optional , if its going to benifit your animal then im all for it. Then again if you have alot of reptiles or a reptile room it would be important that you do get one. Creatures and critters in Bothas Hill. 031-7656338
The bible says we have been given the power to tred apon serpants and scorpion. Please watch your step....
D@RRYL
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks D@rryl.
Yeah i used to deal with Richard Boynton at creatures and critters a few years ago when i had chameleons. good fellow. I'll give him a ring
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chamoflage » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:16 am

Ok. So got a thermostatically controlled heat lamp. looks like an aquarium heater with a heat lamp attached to it. I removed the heat lamp fitting cause its unnecessary and attached my heating pads and cables. Working quite nicely . :D
The sky has many holes
Thank you
chamoflage
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rabid.Evo8691 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:20 am

I would scratch out the carpet idea. Newspaper or paper toweling works better. It is more hygienic, easier to clean and doesn't hook the Leo's claws. Carpeting just promotes bacteria growth and the spread of pathogens. It is just a traditional pet shop ploy.

If you just want to keep them as a family member and don't ever intend on breeding them I would advise a naturalistic set up which makes maintenance easy by just spot checking and cleaning.

The sad thing is that they are arid dwellers in general and live in rocky areas and if kept on a sand substrate will definitely ingest the sand, unless you feed them in separate tubs.

I keep my Jewel/Eyed lizards in naturalistic set ups and when i feed them free roaming inverts such as roaches and crickets I feed them in separate tubs and it has never affected their response to eating. If you choose to use sand mealworms work as a great food source as long as you have escape proof food dishes and supplement with calcium and vitamin powders containing vitamin d3. Just be carefully with overfeeding your gecko mealworms as it can cause fatty liver disease.
Follow our progress on our facebook page (Rabid Evolution reptiles)
Rabid.Evo8691
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to Geckos