true venom effect of a copperhead???

true venom effect of a copperhead???

Postby chris vd merwe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:26 pm

:smt006 howzit guy's

i please want to know whats the true venom effect of a copperhead,if nyone would please help?
its all because my dad doesnt want me to get one :smt021 lol! so please tell me and if theres someone onthe site that has been bitten.. even better!
let me know please

later :D
chris vd merwe
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: true venom effect of a copperhead???

Postby charl.dbn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:46 pm

charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 pm

Please read this post before even considering any venomous snake.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=22316

Even though Copperheads are considered mildly venomous, they still pack a serious punch! :smt018
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Van2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Sorry charl.dbn, we posted simultaneously.
Van2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby charl.dbn » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Haha no problem man.
Chris, read 'snakes4africa's' post
charl.dbn
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

There is also an American man who died recently from a bite from a Copperhead while trying to sex it if I'm not mistaken?
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Don't worry guys we are close friends and he did a course and handels deadly snakes often :) We are still trying to convince his dad after a incident in their familie.
dream as you will live forever
live like you will die today
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dasie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 pm

Hustler then it would be the second guy that died of a copper bite ??
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boerie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:37 pm

Got this off of wikipedia:
Although venomous, these snakes are generally non-aggressive and bites are almost never fatal. Copperhead venom has an estimated lethal dose of around 100 mg, and tests on mice show its potency is among the lowest of all pit vipers, and slightly weaker than that of its close relative, the cottonmouth. The bite of a cottonmouth is more serious, however, as they have a much larger venom yield than a copperhead. Copperheads often employ a "warning bite" when stepped on or agitated and inject a relatively small amount of venom, if any at all. "Dry bites" involving no venom are particularly common with the copperhead, though all pit vipers are capable of a dry bite.

Bite symptoms include intense pain, tingling, throbbing, swelling, and severe nausea. Damage can occur to muscle and bone tissue, especially when the bite occurs in the outer extremities such as the hands and feet, areas in which there is not a large muscle mass to absorb the venom. A bite from any venomous snake should be taken very seriously and immediate medical attention sought, as allergic reaction and secondary infection are always possible.

The venom of the Southern copperhead has been found to hold a protein called "Contortrostatin" that halts the growth of cancer cells and also stops the migration of the tumors to other sites. It will probably be ten or more years before contortrostatin is used in practical treatment but it has shown to be a very promising drug in laboratory studies.

Although technically the antivenin CroFab could be used to treat an envenomation, it is usually not administered for copperheads, as the risk of complications of an allergic reaction to the treatment are greater than the risk from the snakebite itself in most cases. Pain management, antibiotics, and medical supervision in the case of complications is usually the course of action.[12] In 2002 the Illinois poison control center report on the availability of antivenin, the report stated it used 1 Acp to 5 Acp depending on the symptoms and circumstances. The symptoms of a mild envenomation include swelling of the hand, mild cellulitis, and respiratory distress. The symptoms of a moderate envenomation would include swelling of the hand, vomiting, mild bleeding, ecchymosis, diaphoretic, sinus tachycardia, and hypotensive, where the most likely circumstance is the person bitten was collecting rocks.
Life is short, live it to the full!
Boerie

Postby Scar69 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:16 pm

@ Boerie In my opinion using the Wiki to help answer the question is pointless
Don't get me wrong I ain't attacking you in anyway but don't always believe what you read
Remember every individuals body is different hence different reactions to different venom

Even if people may say its Venom is not fatal, doesn't mean it won't harm you
A lot of consideration needs to be taken into especially getting a hot, research find out if the hospitals near you even keep this exotic reptile anti venom

If a guys ask's for advise make sure its the right advise and that its coming from an experienced source
Once again I'm not out to target your assistance with forum topics but I suggest before you post think about it very carefully as you inexperience my endanger the life off someone else
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby chris vd merwe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:34 pm

thanks alot Boerie and evryone else! going to get one for shore now! oh yeah
chris vd merwe

Postby Boerie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Scar69 wrote:@ Boerie In my opinion using the Wiki to help answer the question is pointless
Don't get me wrong I ain't attacking you in anyway but don't always believe what you read
Remember every individuals body is different hence different reactions to different venom

Even if people may say its Venom is not fatal, doesn't mean it won't harm you
A lot of consideration needs to be taken into especially getting a hot, research find out if the hospitals near you even keep this exotic reptile anti venom

If a guys ask's for advise make sure its the right advise and that its coming from an experienced source
Once again I'm not out to target your assistance with forum topics but I suggest before you post think about it very carefully as you inexperience my endanger the life off someone else

Tell me did you even read the whole post? They never mentioned that its non fatal, in fact they metioned that a bite can cause necroses,severe swelling, pain etc. I read it, THOUGHT about it, and decided to post it. I feel it is a very informative and accurate read. If you think that what I posted is pointless, then please read it again and point out to me the pointlesness?
Boerie

Postby dasie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Boerie like he said he is not attacking you, out of my expeirince coppers are extremely agro
dasie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Boerie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:06 pm

chris vd merwe wrote:thanks alot Boerie and evryone else! going to get one for shore now! oh yeah

Just rember be very careful with these guy's, even if they are less likely to kill you, they can still cause other problems, like losing a few fngers, or even a hand. Just imagine going through life without a hand,,bad!! so treat you new copperhead with ALLOT of respect.
Boerie

Postby Scar69 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Copy & Paste
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to North American pitvipers (Agkistrodon sp.)