When mobile...

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

When mobile...

Postby fredsmith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Often I find myself away from my desk at the office and as a result, I use my cell phone to browse SA Reptiles.
I do this via an app made by Opera, Opera 10.1 on my Nokia E75. I used to use Opera Mobile 5, but it would often freeze whilst downloading or refreshing.

What do the rest of you out there, I'm assuming I'm not the only one using a mobile phone, use?
Is Opera my only choice or is there something easier?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Re: When mobile...

Postby iiviii » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:55 pm

Upgrase to a Blackberry and use the onboard browser :) It's never given me anyproblems. If that's not an option, then use the nokia browser. Its a bit faster, but it won't give problems any of the same problems. Operamini has gotten to "technical" for their own good. But I would like to hear a few other opinions?
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:50 am

I've used the Nokia browser in the past, but it isn't ideal. The problem is that the website becomes difficult to navigate through due to it being so large on such a small screen. Opera makes the pages fit the width of the screen which is the plus, the minus being that it is slightly slower (And sometimes glitchy).
Does the Blackberry make websites fit the screen width?

The option to upgrade my handset is in a couple of months, I've had a Nokia since they were the size of cinder blocks and have always been happy with what I've got, but somehow I feel with the entrance of the Blackberry and Iphone, Nokia has fallen behind somewhat.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:20 am

Hi

I use operao 10.1 but the app, not the JAR version. Also, go under settings and remove "load images" it will make it easier, faster and cheaper. Then if you want to see an image, you can download it at your choice.
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 am

iPhone works GREAT, touch screen and the whole page fits on the screen.
You can zoom in and out and it is fast.
Here's 2 pics taken with another phone.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby iiviii » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:40 am

Sorry for the delayed reply. Blackberry does not make it fit to the screen, but it loads ithe pages quite fast and then " zooming in" and scrolling around works like a dream. I havnt had any problems with the pages lagging or not loading properly ( unless you are in an area with really bad reception ). But I personaly say that Nokia has had its time, now its Blackberrys turn. :)
There is no greater love than that shared between a human and a reptile - Author Unknown
iiviii
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Waz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 pm

It depends which BlackBerry model you are talking about. The Curve8520 (cheapest entry level model) loads webpages in column view - so yes, it does fit the page to your screen, but in options, you can select page view, which shows full images etc.
I pretty much only use my BlackBerry to browse this site and I have no complaints whatsoever. Definitely worth it - seeing as browsing and downloads are TOTALLY FREE on BlackBerry Internet Service (e-mail to your phone for R69/month)

No, I don't work for BlackBerry... ;) it just really is so much better than anything else out there. I-phone is also amazing, but browsing isn't as cheap and I personally hate a touch screen..
Warren Garvie
www.facebook.com/warrengarviepage
Waz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks to those that have given their input, it is appreciated.
I agree Iiviii, Nokia has dominated the market for a long time, but Blackberry and the iPhone have set a new bench mark when it comes to mobile phones. For now, I'll bide my time until my upgrade time arrives, carrying on using opera as my browser when mobile.
Hopefully the next few months can pass quickly... It's a long way till July.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 am

I through a special via Fnb, got myself an iPad... This has solved the problem of small screens and slow loading pages. For anyone who has experienced the same frustrations as me in terms of being cut off when out the office, this device is simply amazing.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby leonthemenace » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:00 am

I was a Nokia man for many years, and they are not bad....but have since changed over to sony ericsson, and must say that the change from Symbian OS to the latest Android is finominal! My wife and I both use the xperia's and have no problems whatsoever with viewing web pages. Automatically adjusts the page so that it fits to screen. But concerning going "on the move", there is no comparison to the ipad 3G.

O and I must add...with great 8mp camera and sony's bravia screen resolution viewing and taking pics on the go is just fantasic.
If you're not fast......you're food!!
leonthemenace
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Any "Mobile Apps" available to run the forum... Like Tapatalk or Forumrunner?
I use Tapatalk for numerous other forums and works like a charm ...
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eclipse » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:02 pm

No reply?
Any site administrators?
eclipse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aaxel » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:00 pm

I would visit far more if the site was better optimized for smartphones, though making the site compatible with tapatalk would reduce it's 'classyness', if you know what I mean...

I use an android default browser, and that frequently fails me, due to my phone's RAM and screen size limitations.
never argue with idiots, they will drag you down their level then beat you with experience
Aaxel
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support