awsome find!! [C. rhombeatus]

Archived topics, still open for discussion.

Re: awsome find!!

Postby curtis48 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Graeme I respect your knowledge on vipers and adders and i see where you are coming from.Please could one of the mods change it
Always forgive your enemies - Nothing annoys them so much.
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
They say hard work never hurts anybody, but why take the chance
curtis48
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:54 pm

You're very welcome Curtis, hope you find some more interesting critters this weekend.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Graeme I dont quite agree with you mate. Fair enough they are way more potent then a redlip, tiger or skaapsteker, but their venom is feeble compared to that of a mamba, vinesnake or puff adder. Guess they are a bit of an odd ball. One thing is true, people often grossly underestimate this snakes ability to strike and the potency of their venom. Where would you say stilleto snakes and natal blacks belong on this forum?
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:33 pm

Durban Keeper wrote:Graeme I dont quite agree with you mate. Fair enough they are way more potent then a redlip, tiger or skaapsteker, but their venom is feeble compared to that of a mamba, vinesnake or puff adder. Guess they are a bit of an odd ball. One thing is true, people often grossly underestimate this snakes ability to strike and the potency of their venom. Where would you say stilleto snakes and natal blacks belong on this forum?

I an indifferent here.
A Causes sp bite is not going to be a panado and a little sleep it off, as with Atractaspis those bites will require medical assistance.
Don't know about you but id take 100 herald and a further 100 Telescopus bites before a night adder bite.
Sure there is a middle ground too.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:43 am

At the same token 10 Causes sp bites would probably be better then a single Dendroaspis, Thelotornis or Naja bite. Moral of the story. Respect all venomous snakes as you never know how your body will respond to the venom. You may well have an allergic reaction to a Herald bite.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Graeme » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:14 am

I think that the definitions used to describe the various forums make it fairly clear.
If one looks at the exotic side of things, Copperheads and Whitelips aren't being placed with Hognoses and Boigas, and Heidis Infuscatus bite, while not requiring serum was still serious enough to warrant a spot on Venom Club.
My opinion would be that just because certain species can be dealt with using no serum, one shouldn't be leading uneducated members of the forum to believe that their bites would be feeble.
Highly Venomous doesn't neccessarily have to mean lethal, I think.
Reach us @ Graeme Lotter on FB
OR 082 4749139
Email: snakesnadders@yahoo.co.uk
Graeme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fuscusV2 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 am

I agree Graeme, it's simple... medical importance. Causus bites can definitely be of medical importance, particularly in children and the elderly. Defilippii in particular.
fuscusV2
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:14 am

Fuscus why would you say C. defilippii in particular?
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Sun May 01, 2011 3:02 pm

Yea I would also like to know?
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MegF » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:16 am

Most listings on the species do list it as mildly cytotoxic. My LD50 charts list it as requiring 15 mg/kg..SubQ...similar to the eastern diamondback which requires 14.6...however, IV requires 9.25 mg/kg to achieve what just 1.65 mg/kg of EDB venom does. It's certainly no where near that toxicity. It also appears that the delivery system is poor...much like hydronastes gigas, whose venom is equal in toxicity to that of the crotalus species but the amount of venom delivered and the ability to deliver it is not very efficient. It may be that many people are bitten by this snake and many end up in the hospital due to either allergic reactions or just plain vaso-vagal reactions. I researched the gigas before getting one and the cases that ended up in the hospital were just that...the person freaked to the point they passed out on the floor. The venom wasn't the problem, the person was. There is also the possibility of incorrect identification and they were bitten by a more virulent species of snake and thought it was the night adder.
4.4.2~Green tree pythons
4.2~Amazon tree boas
1.3~Sibon Nebulatus
1.0~Eyelash Viper
1.0~Copperhead
1.1~False Water Cobras
0.1~Cantil
0.1~Neotropic rattlesnake
http://www.franclycac.com
MegF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:36 am

I did post somewhere on the Forum. About a month ago a resident on the Estate where I work took a Night Adder bite to the index finger.

Result - Swelling of hand and forearm, Swelling of lymph glands, Intense burning pain around bite site and hand.
Treatment - Some Myprodoll till pain subsided and a tetanus injection (What for I don't know).
Recovery Period - 4 to 7 days'.

No hospital was visited at all by the patient.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jason Lucey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 am

Similar story to Roland. In grade 6 I took a bite from a young night (my ignorance at fault there) and my mom called the clinic and said to take a miprodoll, my finger swelled up a bit and went down within 3 days and other than a bit of burning that was it. My personal opinion is that it should be under mildy venomous.
Radical Reptiles.
Cell:0760484045
Email: radicalreptiles@mobileemail.vodafonesa.co.za
Jason Lucey.
Cell: 0718708773
BBM: 23A32A76
Email: luceyjason@yahoo.com
Jason Lucey
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pieter89 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 am

I don't know whether a night adder should be classified as highly venomous or mildly venomous, but I don't think it should be classified on the grounds of one or two cases...

Even if it wasn't medically relevant a few times it doesn't mean it is of no medical importance. Even very highly venomous snakes could let you off with a dry bite or you could be lucky and have little venom injected.

Just my two cents worth :)
Pieter van Zyl
Pieter89
SA Reptiles Member

Postby poobsta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I was tagged on the arm by a night adder (totally from my own mistake) the pain was a bit more than that of a wasp but lasted far longer.My arm swelled but not very badly and was fully healed in about 3 weeks (itched like mad when it was healing). However a few years back my neighbour was bitten and he ended up in hospital and he had some mild necrosis. Fact of the matter is you dont wanna get bitten by one.
There is no such thing as I can't
poobsta
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Active archive