South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby Quintin » Sat May 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Who the hell is this guy??? Is he on the forum?

Idiot none the less..

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun May 08, 2011 1:12 pm

Now that is some next level stupidity.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun May 08, 2011 7:04 pm

and then this is one of his helpers/ fans. A teenager thinking this is hard core.

A member of this forum actually got a message from a very nice girl in Florida USA about this exact picture asking if this is normal behaviour of South Africans to attract attention. She asked straight out "what is wrong with you people?".

Rather embarrassing that this is how the rest of the world sees us.

This is the same kid who got upset when I would not approve a permit for cobras and puff adders because he was under the age of 16 and he told me he had done a handling course (although not recognised by Natcon) at the same institution where this photo was taken.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby bubblesharp » Sun May 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Spoke to a person today that is selling a pair of red tail boas to me, They were at a certain snake park the guy that did the demonstration was free handling two cobras at the same time and one tagged him on the boot, he then proceeded to tell them that, that little bit of venom was enough to kill two grown men.

Then I have this "friend" that recently bought two small corn snakes from me and he is an expert on snakes now, only had them for about a month. Anyway he watches Austin Steven on DSTV and this guy is his hero for free handling wild snakes. He is already talking about getting a pair of copper heads.

This is the message that these people are sending out, that these animals can be played with, without to big of a risk!!! They are responsible for the deaths or sufferings of many snake bite victims!!!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Mon May 09, 2011 12:43 pm

They are responsible for the deaths or sufferings of many snake bite victims!!!

No, I would say natural selection is. You wouldn't just copy and do whatever you see others do, both on and off TV right? There would be some sort of inital assessment you make first before you decide for or against it. There are others like you and me that are unable to make such an assessment, or at least with some degree of accuracy. These TV celebraties are merely the tools for optimising the gene pool and we need to have these tools around to give this process some traction and progress itself.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Mon May 09, 2011 1:10 pm

Where's that darn LIKE button?
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

No, I would say natural selection is

Bwahahahahaha, yes you are probably right, but the kids that are being taught to play with cobras and other animals. Who the hell teaches a kid to free handle any snake other than a corn or rat snake? If this is all they see then this is what they "know" to be the correct way. After that you can say and do what you want they cannot be convinced otherwise.

The problem with our society today is, that they have no idea what is real and what is not and the impression given is that even venomous snakes wont bite, so get one and show off. Get bitten and waste all my money that I paid in taxes! I don't mind them using my money to save the life of someone that made a mistake, but why should we save the idiots, they can carry the costs for their stupidity themselves!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon May 09, 2011 7:06 pm

Hello, I recieved a few sms's and emails and messages that I got posted here.. Gee,well, rather not ask how you would know if I think that is ''hard core'' to me.. Eric is a friend of mine that owned Chameleon Village Reptile & Conservaition Park but sold it recently. He has a wealth of knowledge about reptiles.. But, I must admit that I am against free handling of venomous snakes.. I did not post the photo of the king, but got ''tagged'' on facebook.. Already on the net, its quite a nice king and it is now added to my facebook album.. This king had an eyecap and needed a bit of help taking it of.. Working with the king for a while getting it a bit ''tired'', it calmed and I went behind the head and slowly but carefully pushed it's head down to the ground and necking it with care and experience, then took the eyecap off and realeased it safely.. I necked it in the heat of the moment not needing a pinstick.. I accept that I could have rather used a pin.. I don't do this for showing off.. I have been bitten before by a venomous snake, and I ceratainly never want to get bitten again.. Venom is not just fun and games.. So I admit of being wrong in this particular photo.. but now.. BV, you said that I got upset because you did not approve permits for me..? I've never even applied for permits, so how could you have approved it? I asked you a some time ago if you could help me or direct me to someone or something to just apply for permit for a annulifera and you told me that I must be 16 before I can apply and you asked if I have done a handling course, and I did do ID and handling course with Mike Perry (about two years ago).. So I accepted it and the conversation ended there (that was the first and last time I talked to you)..I called Mike today, to get all my facts right and asked if the certificate needs to be approved by natcon.. Apparently Natcon attends his courses, and then he said, Marcel, if you did my course, you can handle any venomous snake.. So I did not do my course at ''the institution where that photo was taken''... BV, you are and extremly experienced person with a real wealth of knowledge!! And I do respect you! There is no reason to free handle any venomous snake..And I will always remember what you said in that documentary: Bly weg van die skerp kant!!
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon May 09, 2011 7:50 pm

Marcel but then if you want people to take you seriously why do you make this picture your avatar on facebook? You have been bitten already and then decide it is your duty to remove an eye cap on the grass of a snake park by yourself? Not in a laboratory with proper assistance away from the public? You should be using a tube or a foam rubber lined elasticised pinning stick.

I am pretty sure Mike would not approve of you handling any venomous snake like this as I have just spoken to him and he says this is not anywhere near what his course consists of. He says he taught you how to use the correct equipment (which is lying on the ground behind you). He stated quite clearly and asked me to mention the fact that he does not recommend or condone the free handling / unassisted necking of any venomous snakes.

I did confuse you with another person regarding the number of snakes you asked about for permits. I did mention to you that your collection of indigenous snakes was illegal and did advise you to get rid of them. I am sorry I mentioned the other species as that was my mistake. The same night somebody else did ask about permits and mentioned they had been taught at this institution. I got the two of you mixed up then and I apologise.

I do remember that you only attended the THA that one night to try and get permits and then never again.

You have the potential to do this right .... dont mess it up by doing the wrong things from the beginning.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Marcel2992 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

The king was handled after closing and we were 3 experienced handlers and one other person taking photos.. I completely understand what you are saying BV!! And I completely accept your apology regarding the permit story.. But, I dont freehandle snakes (by picking them up and doing silly things) and am against it..There are a lot of people that freehandle venomous snakes, but in this photo I was one of them..This was a ''taking chances'' move and I accept being talked to in a way to stop taking chances and letting other people see this..But I don't think that I am ''hard core'' for doing that.. I havn't attended the THA meetings everytime because something allways came up.. Need to get my member card still..
Knowledge comes from reading a book. Experience comes from... not reading it.
Marcel2992
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ryan654 » Tue May 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Haha its funny how i put a picture 0n fb and it turns up on sareptiles...and u know what i think you are all pathetic...and yes i know it was stupid but seriously its got n0thing to do with any of you..if i want to handle a black mamba i will .you guys arnt paying my medical aid and i dont know any of you so just shut up and stopping diging your sad/insignificant n0ses in places thay dont bel0ng...
ryan654
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Ezzie » Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm

To add to that dont just assume that I (his girlfriend) thinks he is a hero like ryan said its got absolutly nothing to do with you so why dont you just keep you and your gang's pathetic lil comments to yourself!!
Ezzie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Tue May 17, 2011 6:32 pm

Hahahaha wohoooo guys we are seen as a gang!
These people ai jai jai. You guys must wake up! Ag but its fine please just go lay under a tree when you get bitten so you don't stink! Cos both of you are debating like kids. Don't even know why you two joined our "gang"!
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:50 pm

ryan654 wrote:...and u know what i think you are all pathetic...and yes i know it was stupid

You think the people are pathetic for telling you that what you did was stupid, which you agree with?

Why can't we all just leave it, people who don't free handle and believe in safe handling techniques should leave the free handlers alone as they don't care what we think(know). It's also not being done for attention or because of an inferiority complex, obviously it's to prove to themselves that they are superior human beings who want to test and improve their mystical powers of venom resistance... :D
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Tue May 17, 2011 10:39 pm

ryan654 wrote:Haha its funny how i put a picture 0n fb and it turns up on sareptiles...and u know what i think you are all pathetic...and yes i know it was stupid but seriously its got n0thing to do with any of you..if i want to handle a black mamba i will .you guys arnt paying my medical aid and i dont know any of you so just shut up and stopping diging your sad/insignificant n0ses in places thay dont bel0ng...

We are trying to maintain a respectable level of responsibility in the reptile community by encouraging safe practices and husbandry techniques when working with deadly animals. And then.....we get little knobs like you advocating dangerous activities with dangerous snakes, negating the goals we are trying to achieve. So, when our 'gang', for whatever that's worth, notices something like your facebook post they are going to post it here and show everyone, and I encourage them to keep doing so. You post stupidity on the internet, then you get suprised by the salvo of negative press, then you call us pathetic? For your parent's sake, leave venomous snakes alone, grow up, then try again. Don't want anything to happen to you at home tomorrow while they're out voting.

Your future as a free member here will depend on your next post.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements