South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

You can find all the current news with regard to Reptiles here. Announcements about anything reptile and site related will be made here as well for your information.

Re: South Africa's Bite Darwin Award Winners

Postby Jamster » Thu May 19, 2011 10:52 am

Ryan, where did you learn to handle snakes? Were you told that it is okay to handle a snake like that or did you decide that yourself?

My friend and I get told off by our gf's (who are snake handlers aswell.) for handleing venemous when they know we are doing it responsibly and we know what we are doing. We get the 3rd degree not because we are being stupid or irresponsible, but because there is always the chance that you may get bitten and they care....

PS Ezzie I am in no way saying that you dont care, what I am saying is that I dont think you understand the consequences of Ryan getting bitten...would you still be so accepting of his freehandling if he was missing a hand...or even more so, his life?
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ezzie » Thu May 19, 2011 1:56 pm

Jamster not once did i actually say i approve of him free handling the puffy. Its his choice i personally wouldnt go near that thing ive seen what it can do but in the end its his choice.
Ezzie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu May 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Jip you are right it is his choice, unfortunately, if something goes wrong you suffer with him, maybe not medically but believe me you do not want to watch a loved one go through that! Unfortunately our choices affect a lot more people than we care to admit. People close to some one that got bitten suffer with him, It makes a huge dent in medical aid funds, and government funds if you go to a public hospital. Then the medical aid puts a disclaimer in the contract that they will not cover any snake bites any longer. Then government says, hey these people are costing us way to much, lets ban exotic venomous snakes, the ball gets rolling, people get pissed off, threaten to release their snakes in SA, then government come back and says oh yeah, well now just ban all exotic reptiles, and our hobby dies.

Is is that impossible? I don't think so, just look at how difficult it is already to keep certain species in the Western and Northern Cape, Pretty soon everyone in SA will need a permit to keep any venomous snake. and soon after that a permit for every single reptile. This is not what we want and if we can make a fool of every single person out there that is dumb enough to put it on FB, then the general public will soon see that WE the majority of the reptile community WILL NOT stand for or be associated with irresponsible people.

If you do it because it is your own choice, fine, but please don't take pics and post in public sites, and when you get bitten, then don't go spend all our taxes on your treatments, pay for it yourself, it was your choice after all not mine. I do not know any free handlers in the hobby, and I am sure that most of you are actually really fun guys to be around with, but if you do something that can damage the things I love, because its your CHOICE... well you may have a very good personality, but very poor character!
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu May 19, 2011 3:26 pm

To all the free handlers, do you fully realize and understand what a snakebite can do to you? I don’t think you do considering the pictures. These animals have developed venoms that are extremely effective in performing their functions. Treating a serious snakebite is not always a simple procedure and even more complicated when the species in question has no antivenom available in this country. Remember respecting your animals for their capabilities is the beginning of “experience” as a snake keeper. I get that some of you have a passion for these animals and that’s great but remember your actions need to be responsible especially when there are a lot of people who would love nothing more than yet another reason to restrict or ban reptile keeping. If you are honest with your selves you would agree that your pictures got you exactly what you wanted, a lot of attention. There is no justification or good reason for handling these snakes the way that these pictures portrayed. Please remember that you are working with animals that have the ability to decide to inflict a lethal bite at any given time and the way you handle them offers you no protection. These pictures show me handlers who are over confident and highly inexperienced, who are a danger to themselves, their animals, and the hobby in general.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby armata » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 pm

All I want to say is that I wish for one moment I could put these guys in my place on March 31st when the world went dark and I stopped breathing.
Not fun guys.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat May 21, 2011 9:31 am

I was sent some photos that I will not post for fear of stirring more trouble, but when you convince your elderly mother to free handle a deadly venomous snake then I give up. I have no comment either.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Sat May 21, 2011 10:06 am

"Die appel val nie ver van die boom nie"
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Groenslang » Sat May 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Fooble wrote:"Die appel val nie ver van die boom nie"

Jeez, whats happening in Durbs?! Next time I see you, you are going to speak Boerie with me?!?!
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Thanks for that input Tony.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pezulu » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am

The unfortunate truth is that every so often the media pick up that a person was bitten by a venomous snake, and sensationalize the event. More often than not, the person that was bitten is described as a person with wide knowledge regarding snakes, or a snake handler. That reflects negatively on all people with an interest in keeping venomous snakes. The ripple effect is further reaching than the simple action of freehandling a deadly snake.

Freehandling a venomous snake can be compared to playing Russian roulette, in that you have a chance of the snake turning on you. At some point the hammer will fall on a live round, instead of an empty chamber.

Each action has an equal and opposite reaction.
By acting stupidly, you earn the right to be called stupid.
By acting idiotically, you earn the right to be called an idiot.
By acting with caution and care, you earn the right to be called cautious and careful.
When you handle deadly venomous snakes, you need to be cautious and careful. Not stupid or idiotic.

The larger portion of the general public still perceive all snakes as being evil, slimey cold creatures that need to be killed on sight. Even one newspaper article which reports that a person was tagged/killed by a venomous snake has far reaching effects. People go out of their way to kill snakes, irrespective of what type of snake it is, whether it is venomous or not.

What would happen if one of the children that was present in the classroom when venomous snakes were being freehandled, decides to do the same, as it was taught in school that it is fine to handle venomous snakes, and gets killed in the process? Will the media report on it as a freak accident, or is there a possibility that they will mention that the pupil had attended a course at school where repsonsible herpetologists taught him/her that it is ok to handle any snake, irrespective of the type or breed of snake?

There are already signs that the keeping of venomous snakes and other dangerous animals should be regulated more, with more prohibitions being imposed. The actions of a few are endangering the possibility of many to continue keeping these animals.

We should all take into consideration that only one action is needed to change the perception of many people, and that change in perception may result in changes to the detriment of all that have an interest in keeping, breeding and enjoying animals, be they venomous, dangerous, or not.

Stop acting irresponsibly, and take responsibility for your actions.
They have consequences not just for yourself, but a far larger portion of the population than you might think.
You could just be the one that messes things up for everyone.
2:1 Motley corn
0:1 Tangerine Honduran Milksnake
Pezulu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Psammophis » Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 am

Another Hero.

There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read.
Visit my public page www.dafk.net/what/
Psammophis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Another snake "whisperer"!!! LoL..

Jiss imagine a bite to the face from a nivea!?

Darwinsm.. Is real!! LoL

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fastback » Thu May 26, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm more worried about that Pain of glass behind him that's is just unsafe and stupid to let it stand like that! just asking for trouble!! :) :smt018

Quintin wrote:
Jiss imagine a bite to the face from a nivea!?

I thought the same thing when I saw the picture, just has to spin around and oops there goes another another face! :smt022
The free handle's are coming out the wood work now, this phrase come to mind "United we stand divided we fall"
fastback
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nvlooi » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

armata wrote:All I want to say is that I wish for one moment I could put these guys in my place on March 31st when the world went dark and I stopped breathing.
Not fun guys.

Respect.

@BV- Some people just dont get it! (saw the pictures)
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Psammophis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:11 am

I guess a scarf are not an option for a cowboy when the weather gets chilly.

There is a great deal of difference between an eager man who wants to read a book and the tired man who wants a book to read.
Visit my public page www.dafk.net/what/
Psammophis
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to News and Announcements